Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Can you seriously create anything worthwhile using this game engine?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
okay so yeah, I've messed around with the FPSC a lot in the past and yeah I've had a lot of fun experimenting with different things, but I seriously do not believe that you can make a decent game with the FPSC alone. Don't get me wrong FPSC is an awesome program and there's been many good reviews about it, but I mean come on. Seriously, how can anyone pull of anything decent with this. It's kinda laughable to be honest. The engine itself sucks, I mean what were these guys thinking when they wrote this software. I justwant to highlight this website which provides a very negative review about FPSC http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=82876 seriously you guys... either develop games of a better engine or learn to program get some people together and write an engine from scratch because FPSC will not help you, it just won't, with todays technology there are no shortcuts. Anyway feel free to flame me, doesn't bother me, I'm just sharing my honest opininons of where I stand in game development. Hell to be perfectly honest this forum can sometimes be a bit of a flame war.

Jon Moreton
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 05:31 Edited at: 24th Jul 2008 05:32
jondx18,

I just wanted to take a moment to say hello, before this thread is slammed shut, and locked.

Some major strides are being taken to improve FPSC, and bring it much closer to being a competitive engine. Some of the best stuff is on the horizon, with the V2.0 migration.

Looks like it's time for you to move on to another game engine.

Best of luck to you, in your endeavours.

Thanks,

Seth Black

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 05:53
Quote: "Can you seriously create anything worthwhile using this game engine?"

Yes.

It's not for everyone. Best of luck with whatever engine you choose and sorry if you don't get the response you're looking for.

Best.

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Didn't you say you'd never come back here?

Anyway, you can make something good with FPSC. There are tons of tutorials around here. Look for them.

But for some general tips:

Lightmapping = Good!
Custom scripts make a better game.
Mods are always good because they add more to the game.
The store is cool because you can get good media for cheap.

There. Follow those, and with some time, you'll make the next great game.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 06:10
People are going to argue and say that you can make something worth wile and people are going to say you can't. It's not an opinionated subject. The fact is, you aren't going to make anything next-gen. You aren't going to make the next halo or metal gear solid. It's just not going to happen.

But FPSC is probably the best tool for beginners. It teaches you the basics of just about everything in game design.

But what is worth while to you? It comes down to that being the question.

And like Seth Black said, major strides are being taken to improve FPSC.

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 06:17 Edited at: 24th Jul 2008 06:19
Edit: whoops lol, took so long to type other ppl came in b4 me in posting, sorry if i repeat any1

Think about it like this:

A team of around 100 or so people team together to work 2 and a half years to put together a game like Halo or Half-Life. Now this is people in the coding, modelling, texturing, etc... departments.

This is for the game, and the engine to run it (like say, unreal 3) takes another couple of years and lots of people to put together.

Now if u look at about 95% of all games shown in the showcase here ARENT put together by a team, and if so, the team consists of far from 100 people (think that's too much? look in the credits of any game)

Yes, the engine has it obvious faults, but like seth said, there are people working to make it work as fluentally as possible.

Your opinion is very honest, and many people would agree with u, and i agree completely on how underpowered the engine is.

But if u read about Beyond Life, Wehtman (spelling, sorry) posts that he has had this idea in his mind for a long time and fpsc was a place where he could show it. I think this is more of what TGC wanted to do with the Fps Creator, and not a major 2 year project. So to answer the thread question: Yes, u can.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/krowsnest618/PlanetHelltag.jpg?t=1215648198
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 06:28
Quote: " seriously you guys... either develop games of a better engine or learn to program"

Well um some of us do code.......

And Dude this thread is pointless. Its not proving a point. Its just wasting space the only people that come on to the FPSC that want to bash fpsc either are board or have nothing better to do. Or just want to be jerks. No offense this is wasting time in space. Just like the USA love it or leave it. If you dont like it then dont waste your time with it and go make something great. Sorry if i seem mad but these threads pop up all the time.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 06:37
If he wouldn't have told us his opinion the way he did then there would be nothing wrong with this thread. Unfortunately for him he expressed it the way he did by bashing FPSC and the creators of FPSC.

Quote: "
with todays technology there are no shortcuts"

You may be right, but there are beginnings. And FPSC is that first step.

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 06:42
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132053&b=21

...this thread is toast.

Could a mod please put it out of its misery?

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 06:43
Quote: "Can you seriously create anything worthwhile using this game engine?"

Yes, I am determined to make one of the (if not the) most memorable FPSC games ever.
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 06:45
Yes before this terns into a 7 page waste of space argument

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 06:45
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132053&b=21
You know what irritates me about that thread? I made a thread with the exact same thing and one of the mods locked it and said it was unnecessary. 2 hours later that thread was made and stickied. It upset me because I've never had a sticky before lol.

Years of Service
User Offline
The only reason to complain about FPSC is that you're not professional enough to mould something great out of it.

One day, I threw a potato... AND IT HIT THE CEILING, like, HOW AWESOME
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 07:31
I realise that all you trying to achieve here is to start a flamewar... I am pleased that so far no one has risen to your bait, it shows that this community as a whole has grown as there was a time when something like this would have already been a 15 page long 'war'...

I would like to disagree with one thing that you wrote though and that is:

Quote: "with todays technology there are no shortcuts."

I beg to differ... Everything about today's technology is designed to make everything quicker and is all about shortcuts... People want to do things more quickly and be more productive and will use any software to help reach that goal...

It's a shame that FPSC isn't for you, or what you thought it could be... I hope you achieve your goal of game development whatever Engine you choose to use, or code yourself...

[center]
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 08:10 Edited at: 24th Jul 2008 08:52

See the knife above? Is it not basic? Is it not simple looking? But with practice and expertise you can carve something extraordinary...

FPSC is just that. You have to work with it. Practice is necessary. It is simple but with the source code readily available it has almost unlimited potential!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 08:21 Edited at: 24th Jul 2008 08:25
I went to EuroGamer. The comments are not by EuroGamer but by a reader. In fact EuroGamer has this disclaimer: Reader-submitted content does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Eurogamer Network.

It almost sound that the submission might have been done by, yea, jondx18, but, I'm not saying it was. Also, it was submitted back in September of 2007. There are two comments that stood out to me. The first one:

Quote: "you start to get these delusions that making a commercial game with this is going to be easy"

Of course, TGC has never said that this was meant to make commercial games. I've never had that delusion; but I have made some very successful educational games in the short time I have been using it. The second was:

Quote: "and you are lucky to ever get your frame rate over 10 per second."

This alone shows that most of his comments are exaggerated to the negative. I've never had it that bad, but then again, I wasn't trying make a commercial game with 100 enemy forces attacking the player at once or a huge outdoor scene that you thought you needed.

I could easily tear that reader's comments to shreds but I'll leave it alone.

Edit:

URL: Not worth it

You're right but I still had to take a couple of minutes to read the suggested commentary.

Also, it sounds like he admits to being delusional.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 08:32
The only thing i find amazing is you have been here for exactly a month so im sorry that your judgment dosnt hold any ground you have already made a "i hate these forums" thread and several of them are locked im sorry dude please stop whinnying. So why are you hear listen stop Bashing FPSC and Disrespecting the Users here. You see i can tell if i was a mod i would of written him an email telling him to stop making pointless threads, yes i would take the time to tell you that your kind of being a jerk. What did we do to you to get disrespected? Im sorry dude but man really dont make all these Controversial threads it gets the Community in an uproar. So please stop

Thanks
Punk13

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 08:43 Edited at: 24th Jul 2008 08:45
Plus if you think your so good with bragging that everyone should start coding and stuff, most of us have man, alot of us anyway, and you should learn to appreciate the work that has been put into this by tgc and the community.
This is pointless,
Mod, please?
EDIT
Posted by him:
Quote: "
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 13:44 toggle
Damn this program is awesome. I've spent seventeen hours desigining levels. I suppose many people have the problem of where to actually start, so I ended up buying Model Pack #11 which included rock entities, walls, fences etc. and what can I say my imagination just kinda came alive. I've already thought of a great story line, and some ideas for an introduction video. I've been spending a lot of time around the website http://www.fpsfree.com. Thanks to this site my creatiivity and my imagination has reached new heights. I downloaded a copy of the GC Media Pack which can be used for your FPSC projects free of charge. Anyway there's this really cool blue design which kind of looks like an eye. So that's going to be the background menu image for my newly named project Crystal Eye. The title isn't for definite yet, but I think it goes quite well with the actual image. I have also bought that Dark Egypt V2 pack and I especially like the rock fighters with swords, very good designs as part of my game will be in a tomb like atmosphere. So yeah the program is a lot better than it used to be as there's been so much good stuff made by TGC and other users. My project is looking very promising indeed.

Jon Moreton
"

[url=][/url]The Ultimate Battle Mod, high fps, particles, and more.
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 09:05
See why we need another mod?

Locked.

http://www.seqoiagames.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 05:30:50
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 05:30:50