Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Lets speed things up a bit! preformance tips

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 07:08
this is silly
fps creator shouldn't be this slow, not on today's computers.for example, if my laptop which is 2 years old can run games like halo 2, gears of war, need for speed pro street, and the orange box. at full graphical settings other than the resolution might i add, then it should run fps creator easy! therefore id like some tips to speed this fps creator up! and i bet you'd like some too.
ill start

SCREEN RESOLUTION
fpsc test game and built games by default are 1024 by 768 pixels or something close to that, the screen resolution can play a big part in performance. what it doesn't play a big part in is the graphics. after you build your game go to the setup INI file and change the screen resolution in it. (i haven't yet done this because the game I'm making isn't done yet so i can't help yall with that.)

SPAWN POINTS
you have two characters running in a field, and three more on a sky walk. by using waypoints you can make it so that the character on the sky walk will walk towards the edge then circle it, when they are killed another will spawn. this eliminates the stress put on the software by eliminating 2/5ths of the characters in that sceene.

SMALLER ROOMS
as you all know most segments will have a blue square as a indicator when the mouse isn't over it, some don't. (i think this is how it works) the blue indicates segments that will hide anything beyond them. use these segments to keep performance up. (see pic for a diagram !!!) (correct me on this if I'm wrong)

that's all i have
if you have a performance tip post away!

sorry for all the terrible spelling errors!

Survival!
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 07:09
opps, heres the diogram

Survival!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 07:15
Airmod

[url=][/url]The Ultimate Battle Mod, high fps, particles, and more.
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 08:03 Edited at: 27th Jul 2008 08:03
The blue indicators are the simple way for the editor to show segments outside of the render shroud... it means nothing about how it will act in-game.

Every segment *Should* block things outside of it, which is why using the wire frame option comes in handy when debugging a level, you can see the leaks in your level, and everything thats being drawn when it doesnt need to be.

http://www.seqoiagames.com
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 12:27
Quote: "Ok screen res will do nothing for you in fpsc what ever size youy set it to be it will react the same."

Well in my experience changing the resolution does improve performance... When I have built a game on my desktop pc I test it on my laptop... Changing the resolution to 640 x 480 increases performance quite substantially...

[center]
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 12:55
Yes my laptop is rubbish and my Desktop is a gaming PC... changing the resolution on my Desktop makes no difference at all... Not everyone is going to have a powerful gaming machine so changing resolution may well improve the speed of their game...

On my laptop we're talking framerate increases between 10 and 15 by dropping down to 640x480... That's a serious increase in performance...

[center]
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 12:58
Is there any significant decrease in quality though?

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 13:09
Quote: "Is there any significant decrease in quality though?"

A lower resolution means that the edges of objects will look more... Jaggy and strange. Something most games have Anti-Aliasing for.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 15:02
Yes there are some graphical glitches but it beats playing a slideshow

[center]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 15:05
Thats true.

gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 16:05
barley any
i run most of my games at 800X600 and anti aliasing at 2X. at these settings i can significantly raise other graphical settings such as texture detail and physics. therefore in the long run i believe that a lower screen resolution dramatically helps increase the quality at which commercial games can be run on your computer and i think it will help fpsc games.

the pic is an example made with halo 2 for windows vista rinning at 800X600 resolution full texture effects and decal effects(i like the halo decal idea batter than the fpsc one) and no anti ailiasing (notice the palm tree leafs are all pixelated) (this image was not resized, that's 800X600 which is stretched to fit actual screen size

Survival!

Attachments

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 18:23
Quote: "(i like the halo decal idea batter than the fpsc one)"

What do you mean?

Dark Jaguar Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 20:44
Got a new monitor 1440x900..
FPSC is not very good with that resolution..
How can i use FPSC with 1440x900 or FPSC with his normal resolution?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 21:06
Just set it via the SETUP.INI file.....

Thanks for the scree res tip, my games feel alot better now.....

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 21:24
FPSC does not support wide-screen though, so everything will look very strange.

Dark Jaguar Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 22:01 Edited at: 27th Jul 2008 22:09
I see..
But can i change that thing with setup.INI or not?

[edit]

I have screwed up my FPSC with that change thing..
Everything is stranger..
And FPSC map editor do now have problems with the mouse..

( screeny to show how i see it )

Attachments

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
gorba flamingo, If someone had not pointed out the pixelation on the palm trees I would have never seen it.

Dark Jaguar Flame, I really do not see any issues with the screenie that you posted.

I really think that if something helps and does not cause noticeable visual issue that it is valid.

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 00:23
"age was not re sized, that's 800X600 which is stretched to fit actual screen size"

i don't really know what i said, lol early morning!

ok, that image was taken in halo 2 for vista, take that picture and use paint or photo shop or whatever to re size it to your monitors native resolution. my monitor is 1440X900 that's a 17 inch windscreen. notice that when the image is re sized it is all stretched out and pixelated. that all screen resolution does. by the way incense, in Dark Jaguar Flames photo notice the corners of the room and the hand with the knife in it. the edges are pixelated. computers, and consoles alike have this, its just something you must deal with when in 3d. anti aliasing is a fix but can take up a lot of resources depending on the level at which it is set.

hope i made more sense

Survival!
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 01:48 Edited at: 28th Jul 2008 01:48
Reality mod? whats that do?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 02:09
Probably bugger-all right now, just like RampageMod.....

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 23:33
When creating an outside scene, on layer 7 (or any high layer so it doesn't get in the way when editing) cover the entire layer in an invisible floor, then put in invisible walls so in a sense you're creating an invisible room around your outside area. I tried this and my framerate shot up from 15 to 30.

Here's a screenshot of my outside level without the "room". The framerate here was around 17 on average...

Attachments

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 23:34
... and here's a covered version, with 30 - 32 fps.

Attachments

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 23:36
Heheheh, not bad, this outta help a few problems I was having in my game....

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 23:39
Many a time I've given up on an outside level because the frame rate just plummets. May be "he is coming..." can actually get finished.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 23:39
Maybe, just maybe.......

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 07:23:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 07:23:04