Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Is this Game Idea Possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I am thinking about creating a game that uses tubes or arched segments that twist and turn for the environment and then make the user fly through them shooting enemies etc.

The speed of the player is constant from the start of each level, the player can only move left, right, up and down while being propelled forward down the tubes.

I would not like to use waypoints for the movemnt through the tubes, but a version of the Jetpack code I have seen may do it?

Is this possible in FPSC X9 or X10, I have both.
dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 18:05
Hmm, its a been a while, but think magic fps, if still available was able to make custom segments, maybe you can make tube, I'll have to find my old copy and check. Cool idea for a game if you can pull it off you will have many fans of the game

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 18:07 Edited at: 30th Jul 2008 18:10
The various jetpack codes around may possibly allow the game concept as a general idea to work but you may have to be flexible in your precise requirements for movement and you may have to consider that the player may need to "collect fuel or power ups" as they move throght the levels. That should in any case if necessary add some interest to the game.

You are best advised to make some simple exploratory levels utilising jetpack code(s)and discover if the possibilities meet with your requirements. That could be quite quickly ascertained.

Acceptable level design should be possible but there may be collision difficulties to overcome depending on what you will want to do.

Those might be the main obstacles I should think given my own experiments with Jetpacks.

dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 19:27
I just checked, magic fps does not make segments out of custom imported shapes, it makes entities. Not sure if you are able to create a tunnel system or not with entitys. Maybe someone knows.

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 19:43
Whichever kind of world object you use, you may have problems with collision and gravity. Jetpacks are great if you need to fly thorough unrestricted space. FPSC has changed over recent vesions and I cant say what kind of influence these changes may have had but collision and gravity could be problems for you.

You need to check it out before you get complicated and go very far. Make some simple rooms connected together and test out your idea before embarking on a great deal of work.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 19:51
there is a great pack that i bought from befun that has tubes and aliens in it.

SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the advice, I will try a test scenario and see how I get on. I think the movement and collision is the main issue of the player as the tubes could be made from arches with a flat floor rather than a circular tube.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 07:16:17
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 07:16:17