Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / 3d World Studio and FPS:C

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 01:25
Alright, so I was wondering about a few things. Can I make maps with 3d World Studio and import them into FPS:C? If I can do this how would I go about it?

Thanks in Advance.

I'm the one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 02:28
No. I'm not sure why you would want to anyway as that is what FPSC is all about; creating maps using drag and drop. In fact, since I'm not a graphics artics, I found it easier to create a map using FPSC and then create the dbo (compiling the level) in order to use it in DBPro -- as opposed to creating the map using something like 3D World Studio.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 02:42
Personally I love FPS:C but I feel as if it lacked a few things. Like open large spaces of land. I believe 3d World Studio could take care of that, but I guess your right in a way. I know for sure I would use the LeadWerks sandbox with FPS:C, if I could.

I'm the one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 13:06
FPS Creator doesn't support the collision do this correctly anyway, you need to do some heavy tweaking to get it to work with Enemy collisions.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 16:54
Have you tried exporting them from 3DWS as a .X model? You may not be able to interact with it (ie., walk around on it, etc.), but you could definately use it for some custom geometry or scenery. Especially since you'd be using less polys, versus making buildings out of segments that would increase the poly count needlessly (ie., a single wall that could be comprised of 12 tris, instead of segments amounting to 10 times that much).

I've also seen someone conducting some pretty good experiments using Sketchup.

-Keith

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 17:45 Edited at: 31st Jul 2008 17:46
Thanks KeithC for mentioning so let me hijack this thread for a second.
Here is my experiment that Keith mentioned with SketchUp as a level editor for FPSC
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131886&b=25

I aligned my geometry in SU in a way that i could swap my floor with a segment floor in fpsc to solve possible collision issues.
other than that, the complete level design was done in SU. That way i could reduce the polycount to the absolutely required minimum and have it running smoothly even on my old nvidia fx 5200...

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 23:25 Edited at: 31st Jul 2008 23:37
Whoa now that is pretty cool. Maybe I could try this out, I took a quick look at your thread so I have no clue if you've released details on how to do it.

KeithC -

How would I export it to .x? I didn't see a convert button.

EDIT- Wow that map was amazing, that was great. I noticed you had some "terrain" so to say. Thats what I'm looking for so maybe I'll give that a try.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 06:16
You should have an export option to .X

Thanks for popping in, Daarboven; I hope you continue with your experiment, as it could mean great things for FPSC users!

-Keith

TeamASP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 06:47 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 06:51
Do you mean that you can't walk on 3DWS models? Climb on 3DWS models?

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 08:06
There is a video on youtube about 3dws in fpsc

[url=][/url]The Ultimate Battle Mod, high fps, particles, and more.
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 11:56
Yeah, but the AI does not work very well though.

You're the 'th to view this signature!
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 11:57
Yes, you can. Player collision is fine on any 3dws model, but enemy model is in need of perfecting. 3dws lighting is also supported using the .dbo export option.

The Simon Cowell of TGC.
FPS Creator G0D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 23:15 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 23:16
Awesome, well I've made a few things in both programs. They are both pretty fun programs. I think I know how to fix the 3dws AI error. Just make a seperate floor for that mesh/entity.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 07:21:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 07:21:31