Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Making Custom Decals

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ugh. I spent the whole day trying to do this.
The Decal Maker program kept giving a file error as was reported by a number of others. I tried many times with this with no luck.

I tried a number of times with using a dds converter on my image which I tried saving with an alpha mask in many different formats (PNG, BMP, PSD, etc.)

I tried it in photoshop with masking the area and making it an alpha layer then saving as dds, but my decal kept showing up in FPSC as a white square. I also tried just making the background in photoshop but that didn't work either.

I just don't understand what could be wrong, other than the file/alpha format. Anyone using photoshop with success who could give detailed instructions?

Thanks.

(I'm outta here for a couple days. Gotta give my brain a break.)

If there were such a thing as Free Will, I'd be exercising right now.
4Blades
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is the dds file that apparently has the problem.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
4Blades
Years of Service
User Offline
anyone?

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 20:37
Check out the attached.

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 20:53
The image I used is attached here.

In Photoshop get and use the NVIDIA Direct X tool Plugin if you dont use it. Save your Image from photoshop as DDS DXT3 Explicit Alpha Channel.

If you have not done so study the set up and file locations for default Decals. Copy a set of decal files and folder with a new name for your use and swap/edit the script, .txt and texture files with your own new named files. Edit any decals script and .txt files so they refernce your own new files and named texture in the correct folder locations. You will see that decals have the default name of decal.dds. You should do the same. The attached file has that name.

Make sure you back up things before proceeding. Dont overite any default files - copy them to make your own decals. Be careful - always backup and dont blame me if you dont.

Thats about it.

Place your new decal in FPSC - success

Attachments

4Blades
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, uman....
Most informative post yet on the subject. I'll bet it's with my plugin settings....won't be able to experiment until tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to it.

At least I have something else to try now.

Thanks.

4Blades
Years of Service
User Offline
Saving as DXT3 did the trick. I was using DXT5 since the game files were in that format according to a DDS converter I used.

Thanks again!

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 23:46
You are welcome

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 07:21:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 07:21:16