Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / My First Song!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 05:44
I have made other songs but this is the first one good enough to show other people.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6774812

Please, give comments and crits.

I'm Pro grammer.
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 17:48
Well, the good news is that it's your average first-song-quality posted here. So it's not below average.

The bassy-thing that pops in at 0:25. It was kind of overwhelming. Don't concentrate on how an instrument sounds by itself, but by how they all sound and work together.

Instead of using the same melody over and over, try to develop it further as you go into the song. Take a break from the main instrument somewhere in the middle, use a pad or two there. Then go back to the motif.

Or just as good, do what you feel is right. There's no right or wrong way with music since tastes differ. Experiment some more with melodies and simple effects such as delay. It greatly adds to the overall feel of a song if used right.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 21:12
Indeed, the bass is far to dissonant to fit in very good.
Also, some sort of a pad instrument could be used to give more atmosphere to the track, and the piano might to well to have the sustain pedal pressed down once in a while.
The settling at the end sounded pretty good though

Also (I say this a lot lately) the melody is quite repetive; maybe you should alter it. And mayhap even take a break from it alltogether, like Grandma suggested. Or add a "solo" on another instrument. Or... (You probably get the point; some more variation is very much desired in most tracks).

Also, the bass seems to be playing the wrong tones, or does it just have to great a many spred unisono's applied?

Anyhow, congrats to your first (publically released) song

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 22:18
Well it's good to hear it is "your average first-song-quality" I was sure I was going to get comments on the bass, I wanted to add somthing how should I say it, intense but the program I'm using(Mu Lab) dosn't come with anything that fit how I wanted it to so I just put that in because it was closest. I will try to add more variation to my next song.

Quote: "or does it just have to great a many spred unisono's applied?"

If I knew what the heck a spred unisono was I would answer that One question, should I try to fix this song or start a new one?

I'm Pro grammer.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 23:37 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 23:53
Ah, my bad.
It should of course be spread unisono.
(Which means that you have one main tone and then apply this several times with a slight spread of the frequencies of the new instances of the (same) tone. This gives you a fatter tone).

(Ps. Yeah, I noticed that description isn't very clear, so I'll record a small sample demonstrating my point and then I'll get back).

Edit: Attached a pretty poor recording of me playing a sawtooth based patch.
The first part is without unison, the other part with.
Maybe I should have removed some of the filters first though, because the first form alone (without the unison effect) sounds pretty fat. Oh, well.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 00:10
Ah, I see. I don't know exactly what you mean but I didn't do anything like that. Thanks for explaining though

I'm Pro grammer.
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 00:24
I didn't want to make a new thread so i'll put this here.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6779902

Please if you listen to it comment

I'm Pro grammer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:28:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:28:01