Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / New work in progress-- The Comeback

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 08:58
Hey all, I've been out of the composing scene for quite a while, as work and family commitments have been placing very heavy loads on my life.

I'm working on a new song that's close to being finished, called The Comeback. It's represented both by myself "coming back" into my former creative self, and the old retro consoles coming back in style. Cheesy, yes.... entertaining, you tell me.

My wife thinks the drums are too loud. I can write a decent melody but I am not as fluent in mixing as I'd like.

http://www.jeku.com/node/11/

Click the little 'play' icon.

Comments and crits, please!

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 11:45
Yeah, the drums might be a bit loud, but I actually think that it fits kind of good with the track.
Very retro... it's just square waveforms, right?
...No wait, there was a pad too... sounds good
...And even a piarp (piano / harp mix) - nice ending.

The arpeggio might be a bit repetive however, but to go with that retro theme, I guess it should so be as well.
In my perspective, it also seems that the arpeggio comes in half a bar to early? Also, a slight fade-out (or why not a ascending cutoff frequency filter?) before the solo arpeggio might be a good idea.

Very good comeback over all; keep it up if you get the time

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 18:54 Edited at: 4th Aug 2008 18:55
I liked it...

Again maby drums a bit too loud but overall awesome job!

Also i Like your logo banner on your page
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Jeku, Fantastic song! In my oppinion the drums are just fine, not to loud that is. They seem to be a big part of the song and , or.. that's what i think. Like rudolpho said, very retro! nice work and i'm looking forward to hearing more music by you jeku! keep 'em comming!

Your signature has not been erased by a mod... yet...
Minimovies Inc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 00:05
I think the drums are perfect. It gives it a kind of military sound to it.

A starting Games Designer. Need levels, characters and anything drawn and designed? Let me know...
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 01:48 Edited at: 11th Aug 2008 01:49
Quote: "Cheesy, yes.... entertaining, you tell me."

Cheesy? Perhaps... But cheesy as in the cheese in a stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut. That's come good eatin'! This track was like a party in my mouth with everyone invited. Or was that the pizza? Not sure.

But seriously, totally dug the track, looking forward to seeing it finished.

[Edit] Maybe you could turn down the drums just a little. But not too much they didn't make the song bad at all.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 21:24
Hey thanks for the good words, guys, really appreciated! I've shown this around to some friends and I'm getting mixed reactions to the drums. I think I'll leave them as they are but add a few different fills here and there.

Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
that's a cool song. Drums weren't too loud. It had a nice retro and modern feel eloquently combined.

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 03:13
I like that, heh, it's fun to hear some real retro sounds again. Felt good overall, but I had the odd feeling those drums start a split moment too early - no idea why - lets say they came unexpectedly. Since that microsecond is the only thing I can complain, I give it a thumbs up .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
composition is very inspiring to me.I never new that retro could sound this good.Looking forward to new compositions

keep it up
Choinkees
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 04:27
The drums sound loud because the high-pitched lead synth is too soft. Drum to bassline volumes sound good, so rather than toning down the drums I think if you boosted that lead synth a little it'd work out better.
Melody and pacing is good - nice song

(you have some good stuff in your "The Past" section too)

games and stuff that I've made: www.rickyvuckovic.com
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 15:06
I like it alot! When the drums first started it reminded me of Tear Drop by Massive Attack, not sure why.. I think they're just fine though!
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 01:19
Matt McFarland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 21:24
I thought it was really great. Definitely chill-type music. Sample selection is good. I'm not sure what direction you were thinking of going, but I was thinking some soft piano would do great for either an interlude or a next part.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:45:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:45:43