Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Programming my 3D model to animate

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all my question is:

I have my model of my guy (300,000 ploys)
I have a terrain (wich makes no difference at this point)

I just want to know how to animate him
I've searched these forums for "3D animation" but all I get is questions from people who don't even know how to model even let alone animate.

both my models are made in 3DS MAX 2009, what file type should they be (2009 doesn't let me export into .x)
and my main questioon is how would I animate him?

he is already pre-animated whit many keyframe animations
i didn't export him with the biped object as i thought that that make things difficult.

he is layed out like this:

(frames)
1-30 - stand idle
31-55 - 2 steps forward
56-80 - 2 steps backward
81-101 - 2 steps left
102-121 - 2 steps right
122-141 - jump * they are also jump directions
280-301 - dive * same as abouve
461-482 - swing sword forward
483-502 - swing sword backwards
ect...
all in all there are about 1000 frames of animation
i just want t know how to convert:

Load (Models//man)
point 0x,0,y,50z(the man is 100 tall)
if keystate(key down(Up))
"man" moves in the direction stated(x,y,z)
"man".model.playFrames(31-55)
...(left right up down swing sword, use sheild, ect)
else
"man".model.playFrame(1-30)

i justwanna know that so i can also load the model of the terrain
and animate all the other characters.
the game is a 3D RPG in VC++ 2008 express edition
any help would be VERY appreciated.
p.s I wont be around for 1 week so I cant post or reply.
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 13:48
A model with 300,000 polygons may not work at all with Dark GDK.

My site, for various stuff that I make.
Scope 51791
Years of Service
User Offline
300,000 polys...wtf!! This is not 2034 where that is the regular amount of polys. But yea, 3ds Max 9 doesn't come with a .x exporter. Just search google like I did. "3ds max 9 .x exporter". You'll find it, have it downloaded and installed in less than 5 minutes. The exporter will have all the info that gets exported including animations.
Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Man there must be alot of detail on that model.
You should Post a pic.
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 04:07
As has already been mentioned, a 300,000 poly model will not work in the GDK, or in any game engine or real-time API with practical results. That is far better suited to pre-rendering via MentalRay and the like. It's not meant for real-time work.

Bring that model down to twenty or thirty thousand poly's, and even then that's really pushing it under the GDK. I'd recommend somewhere around twelve thousand poly's.

As for what format you should export to, yes you should export to the DirectX model format (.x). There are free plugins for 3DS Max 2009 that enable that functionality. A quick google search will aid you well in this.

Also, if you are still very much learning the GDK (which you obviously are), a 3D RPG of any sort is well beyond your current abilities. Start with something smaller such as pong, tetris or pac-man. Work your way up to 3D and familiarize yourself with the way the GDK works.

-Piro
megaman 2605
Years of Service
User Offline
SunDawg - I was afraid of that. @ first my model was actually around the Millions. but then there would be NO reason to model every hair or even wrinkle. so i got rid of the hair and also deleted a subdivide level.

Scope 51791 - actually there are game engines like Unreal 3 that take up to 3 million polys. but I thought that the poly count was unlimited on most.

Juggalo Memnoch - i will... as soon as 3ds Max 2009 stops crashing everytime i try to render it. btw there is a screenshot of my work. (as in it is NOT a render)

pirogoth - thanx for your help. I think i found a legit .x exporter and i'll make a new model (with less polys) and just copy and paste the biped into that one so the work is not lost.

thnx you everyone for answering part of my question (if that sound rude... my sinceerest apologies) so can some one show me where to start after i remake my model

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RPG
Years of Service
User Offline
I am an experienced C++ software engineer (since 1992 anyway), and also familiar with DBPro and Ogre.
I have just started with Dark GDK and building a 3D fantasy RPG project. I started with the Dark Dungeon sample code to get familiar with the lib, and am building it out into an OO app using some code from Wizards of the Coast (D&D classes).
If you are keen to collaborate, let me know.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 03:33:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 03:33:41