Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC Game Switch (For Multiple mods)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 06:00 Edited at: 8th Aug 2008 03:45
My petty little introduction...
I took a little break from a game I was making (Not in FPSC ironically) and took the time to make something for the FPSC community (because you guys are so great ).

What is FPSC Game Switch?
It is a little app that lets you use multiple mods and the official version on the same installation (without changing filenames all the time if that was what you were thinking). Its just a little workaround I came up with that works perfectly really. The only condition is that they must all be the same version as they still use the same version of the editor (that being 1.07). So you most likely won't be able to use it with the current official edition (unless I (or someone else...who knows) can come up with a workaround for it, which I'll probably look into later).

How does it work
Basically, for the non believers , the FPSC Editor passes on some command lines for FPSC-Game and if you looked at the source code for the engine you will find things like "-t", "-b", and "-r". So all I did was take what the FPSC Editor gave me and passed it on to whatever exe I wanted, more or less letting you use all the mods you want without multiple installations or switching mods out all the time. You think someone would have figured this out already.

Installing it
I hope this is easy enough to understand but if you don't understand something I'll try to help you out.

1) Download the FPSC Game Switch (with it you will find the FPSC-Game.exe and SwitchConfig.ini)
2) Open up your FPS Creator Folder (should be Crogram FilesThe Game CreatorsFPS Creator or something similar)
3) Rename the FPSC-Game.exe to anything you want (if it is the official name it to 107.exe or Official.exe, if it is a mod rename it to something telling you what mod it is)
4) Copy the FPSC-Game.exe and SwitchConfig.ini (from the FPSC Game Switch folder you downloaded) to your FPS Creator Folder.
5) Download the mods you want (or all of them if you want)
6) They should have the name FPSC-Game.exe and probably some other files. Rename the exe to something telling you what mod it is(like I said up above)
7) Then you should probably follow their installation guide so you can put the files in the right places but most of it is most likely self-explanatory.
8) Open up SwitchConfig.ini and type in all the FPSC-Game.exe's you renamed.
Mine looked like this but I erased the contents as we may not have the same mods(I just downloaded all the mods I could from the first page to do a test ):

9) Save SwitchConfig.ini
10) Your done but read on for the problems you may encounter and how to use it.

How to use FPSC Game Switch

Do what you normally do, open up FPS Creator and when you test a level click the test button. FPSC Game Switch will then popup(a console window). You will then type the number of what version of FPSC-Game you want to use and push enter. You will then see the loading bar moving along as usual and when you can push ok you push ok.

Problems that may come your way

These are not major problems, these are problems that will come your way if you use this incorrectly.

• If you type in a letter instead of a number(like you should) a message will come up repeatdly and FPS Creator will crash after a few seconds.
• If you close FPSC Game Switch FPS Creator will crash after a few seconds.
• If you don't type anything in and just let it sit there thinking something is going to happen FPS Creator will crash after a few seconds(amazing isn't it).
• If you put in a non existing exe into the SwitchConfig.ini and later try to load it you will make millions....no sorry...the console will close and FPS Creator will crash after a few seconds

FPSC seems to crash after a few seconds because there isn't actually any FPSC-Game running but don't feel if you don't start up a mod right away FPSC will end up crashing on you, you have a good 30 seconds or so to do it.

There will also be no damage to any files if FPSC crashes. It won't corrupt anything and if something does get corrupted its not because of this. Just remember to save the level first incase it does crash. If it crashes all you have to do is startup FPSC again and load your level up to try testing it again.

Questions I feel I may be asked so I'll answer them in advanced

Will this run mods together?

No, it will run them separately just putting them on the same installation.

What was this made in?

I wrote it in C++, I was originally going to write it in DBPro as a proof of concept but decided against it as the file would be to large and it may slow done the game giving you inaccurate results(could of effected your FPS)

Does it effect your FPS?

If it does I haven't noticed, I get the same FPS as I did if I didn't have it on (meaning 30 fps).

This took me so long to actually type up so I may have left stuff out but tell me how you like it and anything you may come across.

P.S. For the read-me its just this post so if you read all of this you will be ok.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 06:00
Here is a screenshot for those who need it

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 06:28 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 06:39
Well I'm definitely intrigued... I'm going to try this out...

EDIT
Nice work... I like this alot... I do like to switch between the different mods sometimes to see how things run and this will make it 100 times easier...

Thanks
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 07:27 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 09:08
Wow...Same man, if this works then it will be awesome! Try to make it for version 1.13 lol!
EDIT: Just tried it out, I am running RampageMOD Efx mod and S4real mod now (not at the same time )

[url=][/url][href]http://www.rampagemod.webs.com[\href]
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 09:22 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 09:24
Be aware that it might mess up your game, different mods/versions of fpsc build games differently, as well as act differently with the different values stored in the files inside C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator\Files\languagebank\english\textfiles

Also your game "writes" a map file (.dbo model) along with other info, and if you use two different versions, save it in one open it in another - it might be read wrong. Also scripting commands have been added to certain versions...

I know many people didn't know about the differences, but it is dangerous to just swap out exes... That is why no one has "done" this before because it is risky. I am not saying this isn't cool, its cool. Howevert watch out you people with your masterpieces, back 'em up first, because FPSC doesn't take a liking to be being messed with

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 10:29
this looks great, ill try it thanks

punk13@inbox.com
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 10:44
@Urlforce...

I'm confused... Are you saying using this will affect my .fpm files? I didn't think FPSC-game.exe modified my .fpm files...
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 10:53
Quote: "I'm confused... Are you saying using this will affect my .fpm files? I didn't think FPSC-game.exe modified my .fpm files... "

They don't...Its just saves different .dbo object maps, I think the engine might get a bit 'confused' with all the different mods, therefor being read wrong because of such.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 11:03
So as long as I keep track of what mods I'm using for things I shouldn't have any problems...
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 11:08
Yea, that and back up your .fpm files, but a 'confused' engine running your map may cause some problems. But I guess if you are careful with which you are using, for which game, backups all in check, then you should be alright

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 18:03 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 18:52
Yeah I'm glad you guys find it useful and I'll also try to make it as safe as I can too (if I can ).

Quote: "Be aware that it might mess up your game, different mods/versions of fpsc build games differently, as well as act differently with the different values stored in the files inside Crogram FilesThe Game CreatorsFPS CreatorFileslanguagebankenglishtextfiles"

Although I am not really sure as I haven't used all the mods efx was the only one that came with language bank files and it looked exactly the same as the one i had for my FPSC so I didn't think it was a problem. If I'm wrong please fill me in and I can see what I can do.

Quote: "Also your game "writes" a map file (.dbo model) along with other info, and if you use two different versions, save it in one open it in another - it might be read wrong. Also scripting commands have been added to certain versions..."

Yeah the best thing you can do here is keep track of what uses what mod. What I would do with different scripts from getting you confused and you use non-existing commands is to put scripts for certain mods in a folder named such and such. Such as Scriptbank/airmod, Scriptbank/efxmod, ect.

Quote: "I know many people didn't know about the differences, but it is dangerous to just swap out exes... That is why no one has "done" this before because it is risky. I am not saying this isn't cool, its cool. Howevert watch out you people with your masterpieces, back 'em up first, because FPSC doesn't take a liking to be being messed with "

Well backing up files is one of the first things people should do anyway but as long as you use the correct files for the correct mods it should be fine.

But I guess I should call this a beta version to see what problems people may run into that I probably didn't see .

Edit:

Oh and this will also effect your build game(in the same way it effects your testgame really). When you go to build game and you build it the FPSC Game Switch will come up and you have to put in the exe you want above. Then it will start building. Once its done however it will copy the FPSC Game Switch and rename that. So I'll be trying to create an update to fix that but if I can't or until I can all you have to do is go into your FPSC folder and copy the correct FPSC-Game.exe and rename it.

But this is just a little heads-up.

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 06:11
After doing a few more test I actually couldn't get anything to crash or get corrupted when the testgame is actually running.

From what I could tell the efx languagebank files come from v104 according to line 171 and no other mods actually included any language bank files . So I think Lee is the only one who actually edits those and since we are using 107 and the mods can't use later versions this doesn't seem to pose any problem at all.

I also ran a level in the official version and 4 different mods and they all ran perfectly. This most likely means the modders didn't edit the way it reads the fpm files so they all use the same format (v107). The only ones that changed the fpm format is Lee but again since we are using v107 it poses no problem.

I even used a script for one mod in a different mod and it didn't care to notice. It just ran without a problem.

The more I use this the less of a risk I seem to see and more I actually think FPSC doesn't mind being messed with since I can do so much with FPSC even caring. This is also considering I found a perfect way to fix the build problem (FPSC creates a build.ini right before it builds which tells me where its going to create it and what the exe is called [the only two things I actually need]).

Hopefully I'll be able to release an update tomorrow to fix small build problem. I also hope I vanquished anyone's fears of using this if their were any.

But as I haven't used any mod features completely would anyone mind uploading some test level that is mod specific so I can see what will happen when I run it in a different mod.

And if anyone can get FPSC to crash with this I'd love to hear how you did it because I can't get it to crash when I run a mod.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 00:53
Have you tried it with Ply's Mod? I didn't see it on the list.

The one and only,

Whosoever says, "Don't sweat the small stuff," is obviously not a programmer.
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 01:23
Lol sorry I never found a download...

I'm sure its because I didn't look hard enough though.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 06:04
V1.07 Alpha (Somewhere on this page... look for the long post)
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=128688&b=21&p=7

V1.06 Full
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=127123&b=21

The one and only,

Whosoever says, "Don't sweat the small stuff," is obviously not a programmer.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 08:22
It haven't crashed for me, but ran into the same problems with efx mod as I usually do.

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 20:34
Thanks Plystire, will download them both (I just realized I probably can use two different versions of the same mod if I really wanted).

Quote: " It haven't crashed for me, but ran into the same problems with efx mod as I usually do."

Great (not the problems part but the crashing part).

I also keep on forgetting to tell you guys that I can't switch out the map editor otherwise it goes full screen instead of being inside FPSC so this won't work for 1.13 (although there still might be a chance for a different method that I need to test out that will let you use one map editor [don't hope for this for a while as this will probably take a much longer time and I do have other projects that need attending to]).

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work on this been using this for a few days and had no problems at all.

Many thanks s4real

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 03:42 Edited at: 8th Aug 2008 03:44
That's great to hear.

Well I created another update to fix the build game issue (however small it was) so now you can build a game and it will copy over the correct exe.

It works the same as before, you click build game and build the executable, then the console will popup. You choose the mod you want to copy over and it will start building. Once it is done the console will close automatically and the build will be complete.

I make things to easy for you guys .

The only bug I found so far is you can't put spaces in the filename in the SwitchConfig.ini. I already explained it in the new changelog and readme(though it is basically the same as before).

Hope you like the update and don't expect another update to fix that bug for about a week or so as its not to big of a problem as is low on my priority list.

Edit: Almost forgot the update - Its in the first post and here is a link for the lazy ones

LINK - https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1563760

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 09:22
Thanks man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 07:26:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 07:26:16