Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / just a couple of questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi i like the concept of this but i need to know a few things before i try it.

number 1 can i make a game in this and port it to the xbox 360.

number 2 how do you export fps creators levels to this??

many thanks.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 22:42
You can't port this to any consoles. Sorry.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 15:49
there is no "export" for fps creator. after you build a game, find the directory where it has been built to, and there should be a dbo file. you can use that in gdk.
webhead
Years of Service
User Offline
i shant bother now theres no point installing it ,as i use xna to build games to 360,so if it cant be ported over no point me bothering i think its another useless bit of kit from this company.

should have been compatible with xna ,like an addon where you can see what your building but be totaly portable shame.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 04:28 Edited at: 10th Aug 2008 15:43
Quote: "should have been compatible with xna ,like an addon where you can see what your building but be totaly portable shame. "

Then it would cease to be a game engine. That's the entire point. Also, it wouldn't even be in C++, which was the original premise.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
webhead
Years of Service
User Offline
well thats my point i want a game engine for c++ but you ony have to type in few basic commands to get the c++ commands making it easyier to learn that would be great ,and it would make it to compile on lots of dif machines ,easy now go make it .

or make me a 3d engine that wraps over microsofts visual c express edition but must be able to go straight to 360 same as xna studio,

go make it.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 15:45
Making a DirectX wrapper in C++ that directly supports x86 and Xbox360 compiling would be a very large task.

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 16:38
lol. this is bringing back memories of "dont want book, stupid book!"

Anyway, being purposefully specific, yes you can port DGDK games to XNA. Porting is the act of changing one thing to work with another - you are free to rewrite your program if you like.

Fail.

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 21:58
Quote: "lol. this is bringing back memories of "dont want book, stupid book!""

I think you're miss quoting it. "book i hate book. book is stupid"

Quote: "Anyway, being purposefully specific, yes you can port DGDK games to XNA. Porting is the act of changing one thing to work with another - you are free to rewrite your program if you like.

Fail."

I think he meant port in the sense of porting a PC XNA game to 360. Basically, choosing different compile options and such. Not an entire rewrite.

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 22:17 Edited at: 10th Aug 2008 22:20
excuse my inexact quote, its more the memory i was trying to share which seems to of worked.

Its true to say an entire rewrite is not a port - again im sure you've spotted the tongue in cheek attitude of my previous post. Porting is, specifically, moving software from one platform to another. This is rarely done just by changing compiler options however except with (arguably) the best written code. Code is said to be specifically portable when the time it takes to convert parts of it to make it work on another platform is less than the time it takes to rewrite it.

DBP code is often not much of a chore to port to DGDK depending on its complexity. Porting DGDK to XNA based code (assuming the xbox c# implementation) is an extremely daunting and unlikely task - a bit more probable is converting DGDK-NET code to XNA supposing c# was used as the enviroment for DGDK-NET. Again, horriable - unless you have a wrapper ready or are willing to write one to aid all future porting between platforms.

For example I once wrote versions of DGDK's 2D functions for the gp2x (linux/arm9 target). It didnt take as long as i thought either (3d would of been more complex) and at the end i had a library of 2d functions (and input functions and half the file functions) ported for ARM cpus using an sdl layer (for the most part anyway). dbLoadImage() was replicated with dbxLoadImage() etc etc and enabled me to very easilly port pure 2D games i had written in dgdk to the gp2x (and even any linux based) platform. Guess it just depends what you're willing to do to get the job done The good thing about a wrapper of course is you only have to write it once.

But yeah, bit contrived and going off topic I guess, if there even is a topic. But yeah, whatever.

edit: confusing typo

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 22:23
Quote: "unless you have a wrapper ready or are willing to write one to aid all future porting between platforms."

That would be the best method. And good practice.

Quote: "For example I once wrote versions of DGDK's 2D functions for the gp2x (linux/arm9 target)."

Hmm.... ARM9, eh? PDA or Nintendo DS?

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 23:25
GP2X.

http://www.gp2x.co.uk/
http://www.gp32x.com/

Though pandora is the one to watch out for now

http://www.openpandora.org/

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 23:59
Woah. The open Pandora looks seriously awesome. I'm assuming plenty of emulators already exist for it and the GP2X?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 03:28:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 03:28:46