Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DIV Games Studio 3

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 17:21 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 17:23
I know a lot of you back in the day played around with DIV before coming to DB. Anyways, most of us dropped it after seeing DB, and because none of our DIV projects worked in XP (only 9X). All workarounds (DosBox, Virtual PC etc) were exactly that (possible exception of Fenix that was always a bit querky and didn't work that well with old code). Annoying workarounds. In the end just kept track with the DIV Arena site every now and again to see how it was going (Mike was making a version that ran on XP). Anyways it all went down the plughole to not be heard of again.

So now and again I just check things out, mainly because it was totally awesome for 2D games. And now I have found someone who has written a beta application called Gemix Studio that claims 100% compatibility with old DIV code. Hmmm... Only a beta for now, but lets see...

And yes, my 8 year old code (from 2000 when I just moved to DBC) worked almost out of the box. Only difference was I had to change the directory names (is about 4+ generations of machine old now) in the code, and (assume is beta bug) had to put the main code file in the root of the beta (can't run from another directory), and it ran in XP. No worries, no errors. Nice. And from beyond the grave came my warbling voice sound effects Brilliant!

Anyway, anyone wants to try the beta out it is here: [href]http://gemixstudio.se32.com/GemixStudioBeta/GemixStudioBeta5.rar [/href]

Only downside currently is it seems to not include the required DLLs or media into the EXE. So it may look tiny, but it won't work anywhere else outside the root of the beta unless you copy all files and folders required with your EXE. Still, a good start for people who used to love the programming style of DIV

Oh, and the main reason I called it DIV 3, is because that looks to be their final intention. Basically to get the rights to release it as DIV 3 (not sure if DIV 2 came out in the UK, and may only have been in Spain).

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 18:05
That's pretty cool. I never used it, but that's exactly how I came across DBP. I saw an add for once, so I was searching, and I found a link to DBC on the same site as DIV...

Does this work if you didn't own DIV before? or is it it's own whole application that's compatible?

Intel Core2 Duo CPU @ 2.60GHz - 4.00 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M - Windows Vista Business 32bit
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 20:03
I remember DIV games studio back in the days when my computer had windows 98. I couldn't get any of my code to compile and work not even the example tutorial. I gave it away when I "discovered" I couldn't get it working on XP.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 20:43
Quote: "Does this work if you didn't own DIV before? or is it it's own whole application that's compatible?"
Yep. I don't have DIV on this computer (is XP). Works just fine with my 8 year old code. Nice.

Overall though DIV was fantastic for 2D games. Essentially you could code an object. Hard to describe, but basically you could create a bullet, set the direction and speed, and then just forget about it. It would fly off no worries. No extra lines of code in the main loop or anything. And you could make loads of instances of the same bullet. Then in the bullets object code you could code in checks for collision, going off the edge of the screen etc. So no extra lines in the main code loop, just stuff in the bullet (bit like VB coding and the like). Very very nice, and very powerful once you worked things out and wanted to just have loads of things going on very quickly.

As far as I can tell it is free for the beta. And right now it will compile my old DIV stuff with no worries. Very good for a beginner as well as 2D games programmers.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 21:47
Awesome! I spent 4 years long making nothing but DIV games.. I'll definately be checking this out when I have some more time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 13:21:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 13:21:00