Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK . net

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hey all.
is this product still alive?
i only see the GDK for c++..
is there a solution that i can work with C#??

thanks guys
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 16:44
Yes, there is DarkGDK.NET. Me and others do own the older, paid version, but soon it will be free (non-commercial) like DarkGDK/C++.

Hopeless people tend to think it is dead, but it is not!
I'm 100% sure that when released, it will be the greatest TGC product ever!
Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 17:52
kBessa

We are not hopeless we are just so disappointed by the time it take I really hope that it is going to be that grate I have also a copy of the old product and i love it

But if it takes so much time to redo the new engine did it change that much that we will have to throw everything out of the window to use the new version and there was some needed correction into the GDK are we going to get an update of both product at the same time

You could see that all this waiting make me nervous but I hope for the best product ever. It should be with all the time that did go into it
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 23:01
kBessa - sorry to hear that.... then Im hopeless... yes.. no hope. TGC are not telling us anything about GDK.NET. I would with pleasure play with it but they have forced me to C++...

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
Niels,
can you recommend the c++ edition?
or should i stay with c# and XNA
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 03:22
Well, I've heard XNA is more powerful, just harder.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 03:59
While XNA is more powerful, and a little harder to use than the GDK, it's surprisingly easy to work with. It's my current preferred API for graphics work under managed code (when I need something with more horsepower than GDK.NET).

I've honestly considered several times making a library very similar to the GDK.NET, but using XNA as a back end. I likely will at some point. It would have the benefit of being a little more cross platform (Xbox 360 and Windows anyway), and still give you access to the added horsepower of XNA. XNA was designed from the ground up to take advantage of modern hardware and makes using shaders a lot easier, where as in DirectX or OpenGL it feels like the functionality is little more than a hack or kludge. I think it would be a project worth doing at some point. When I have a bit more time on my hands.

GMS0012: As for your question, that depends on if you already know C++ or not. C++ is very powerful, but I would not recommend it as a first language to anyone. I'd much rather recommend something like C#, Python or Ruby (as much as I hate ruby...).

If games or multi-media applications are your goal and you already know or are already learning C#, then stick with that. XNA is an excellent API and Microsoft is really throwing it's support behind it. Their road map is looking pretty good for the future of XNA and it's users.

-Piro
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 08:17
Quote: "C++ is very powerful, but I would not recommend it as a first language to anyone."

It was mine. Well, the tiniest bit of Java, then nothing for about a year. Then C++.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 16:51
Ok, the only bad thing right now is that you still can't use DGDK.NET with plugins, like DarkPhysics and DarkShader. But come on! What's the big difference between DGDK and DGDK.NET (v1.0.9)? I really don't know what's the big deal right now.

AFAIK, Mike and Paul are both working on both versions of DGDK, new things are to come, .NET version comes with full OOP (as Paul already stated, so no 5 different OOP Wrappers from 5 different people), IIRC plugins support should be on its way too, a lot of documentation and tutorials (something everybody complains).

But yeah, TGC could at least comment about it in the forums, or at the newsletters. I know we were not forgotten, but most of us do feel like it...
GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
does the c++ GDK support physics?
what do you expect when will the .net version be available?
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 23:36
kBessa - Nice to hear... I stille love .NET but are only coding in C++ becuase I have to (and are at last learning it).

GMS0012 - Yes... C++ GDK support physics (with DarkPhysics module).

Niels Henriksen
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 08:59
So .net is going to be free soon? Thats very good, looking forward to it.

[url=][/url][href]http://www.rampagemod.webs.com[\href]
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 12:00
For various reasons development is slow but we are closing in on a final release. Not sure if any of this has been shown in the past but I will post anyway. Some examples of test projects created in the new .NET:

and

The Heavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that's some clean and easy to understand code right there

Who touched my gun?
GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
looks pretty cool..
but i have some more questions..
will the .net version support also 2d.
will 2d physics and 2d particles be available?
will the .net version be free?
what do you think when will it be available?
thanks
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 14:42
Mike - its not x-mas yet... but giveme giveme giveme....

Looks so nice....

Niels Henriksen
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 19:53
The .NET version will be free. Once it's out can start considering converting the likes of Dark Physics and Dark AI across to it. Hard to know when it will be ready. Will show the latest version to everyone in the team this week and we can take it from there.
GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
great...
can you please answer my other question..
is it possible to do 2d graphics and 2d particles, tilelayers and so on (everything needed for a 2d platform game) with the GDK.net?

please keep us up to date about the latest news with this engine
GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
ah..
i also hope that it do not the any express version.. i really hope i can use it with my non express VS 2008....
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 21:55
Quote: "is it possible to do 2d graphics and 2d particles, tilelayers and so on (everything needed for a 2d platform game) with the GDK.net?"

It will most likely be the standard 2D commands included with the C++ version. Tile layers you have to write yourself.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2008 21:56
All of the basic 2D functionality will be included. Will be possible to implement the features you require manually.
GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
ok..
we will see and hope for it (with docs)
if i like it i will donate for it
Net Commander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 00:14
I hear from APEXNow that the tutorials are just being finished off. I guess everything then has to go thru some kind of approval process...
GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
lets hope for it
i really want to see and test it.
i have to make a decision if i go with xna or gdk.net
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 11:26
Looks like I can have my a birthday gift from GDK

Niels Henriksen
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i think tgc should update dgdk before taking on new projects. there is a sizeable dgdk community that is waiting for an update to come out.

also all those who bought darkphysx for dgdk are a bit upset that darkphyx is updated for dbpro but not for dgdk
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 15:54
If I'm making something in GDK.NET now... will I be able to use it in the new GDK.NET or do I need to reprogram it?

Can't we how bought GDK.NET have a copy very soon? Just to play with. I dont need any tutorials right now... Just want my fingers in the GDK.NET very soon....

Niels Henriksen
tindex
Years of Service
User Offline
GDK.Net is always welcome, kbessa's wrapper too. But stability needs to come first.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 23:25
@Niels:

Just use it as usual, with or without LightEngine:
-If you use it the "normal" way, probably your source will compile with no changes, or really small ones.
-If you use it with LightEngine, it will just require using the "Search and Replace" function from Visual Studio.

But there are new things, like Camera Effects, with fullscreen shader support (my favorite). And, as mentioned before, Full OOP is integrated.

AFAIK, we should expect the release after the next newsletter, but before the other one (if my calculations of an earlier Mike's statement).
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 07:59
Go with DGDK.NET OVER XNA. Don't worry about making games for Xbox360/Windows if you've got DGDK.NET-- this works better, easier to implement, and will run on my SiS M652 graphics chipset! XNA refuses to run, even after I've killed the pixel shaders!

For me: DGDK.NET, once I see it-- otherwise, I'll use it the way it is...

Happy coding...

[/url]
GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
any news about a release date?
pipolyrix
Years of Service
User Offline
Can we make a mix beetween GDK and XNA?

yes

Login to post a reply