Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Performance Issues

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 16:04
At the moment I am in the middle of prototyping a game engine in DBPro. Now however much it is optimized and however many custom systems (like particles etc.) are created, I know that at some point DBPro won't be able to cope with it and will become incredulously slow. Hence why it is only a prototype.

It is planned that we move on to C++ after this that hopefully it will give a significant speed boost to the game. What I was wondering though, is which engine to choose?

I was hoping Dark GDK would be the solution, but that assumption was based on:
1) The command structure being very similar (eg. Load Object, dbLoadObject).
2) The graphical output being the same. By this I mean that if you loaded a cube with DBPro, it would look exactly the same as if a cube were loaded in Dark GDK.

The problem with switching to an engine like Irrlicht for example is that it is a totally different environment, the commands aren't the same and it works in a very different way.

So firstly, would anyone be able to confirm the first two points? And secondly, does anyone know whether there is much of a speed difference between GDK and Irrlicht?

Regards,

Mike

Being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 18:05
There is definitely a gap in speed between DBPro and C++. C++ will be much faster.

http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/?f=darksdkvsdbpro

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 19:37
Wow, that is significantly faster. Would I be right in saying though that just because Dark GDK is being used, what one would see on the screen would be no different to if it was DBPro?

Being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 20:06
It should. GDK games seem better to me (though framerate may be a factor in that).

The reason it is so much faster is due to the fact that DBPro code becomes C++, then is compile (I think, at least; if anyone knows otherwise, please enlighten me). There are numerous bounds-checking techniques and such that slow down DBPro significantly.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 23:20
DBPro code is compiled directly to machine code, just like C++ does but without a link stage - the big difference is in the code produced.
1. DBPro checks for errors after every command it runs, C++ doesn't have that overhead.
2. Visual C++ probably has 100's of man years targeted at just the optimiser phase of the compiler - Lee's quite good, but there's no way that he can match that.

Consider yourself enlightened

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2008 23:29
Quote: "DBPro code is compiled directly to machine code, just like C++ does but without a link stage"

I was misinformed. Thanks for the correction.

Quote: "2. Visual C++ probably has 100's of man years targeted at just the optimiser phase of the compiler - Lee's quite good, but there's no way that he can match that."

Yeah. Their optimizing compiler is the best. Though, I believe C++ is still faster without optimizations enabled, due to your 1.

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2008 15:00
Ok, thanks guys. Looks like I'll move on to Dark GDk once prototyping is done

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 03:20:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 03:20:11