Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK duties?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, is it true that Dark GDK is in its utmost beta, or /baby stages/? And as programmers we must fix the functions and able them to work? I'm obviously a noob LOL. If this is the case, can anyone suggest a more polished API or library for C++? Thanks^^

Don't Clap, Just Throw Money!
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 17:40 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 17:40
GDK is complete as far as TGC is concerned, though it contains a few terribly broken functions requiring simple workarounds.

My site, for various stuff that I make.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 18:42
I haven't found any others for C++ that are as simple, while retaining the usefulness.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
ketchup mustard
Years of Service
User Offline
thx, im probably gonna drop darkGDK, do y'all know a better SDK or SDL? I will try my hand at DirectX SDL - thx again

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 02:21
I don't recommend SDL as it's definitely much more difficult to use. Try out the GDK first, then, if you're unsatisfied (although you'd have no reason to be), you could try SDL.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 04:20
In addition, SDL requires you to use other libraries for your sound. With DGDK I was able to just set a sound for play and kick it off.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 08:44
Lilith: Last I checked, SDL included everything needed for graphics, audio and input. Now you can improve on the audio with SDL_Mixer, but it's not required.

To the OP: That depends entirely on what you want to do. As a 2D library, I personally believe SDL is a little better equipped. For 3D, use the GDK. If you need it to be more extendable, then SDL is for you.

-Piro
ketchup mustard
Years of Service
User Offline
yo, im working on a 2D sidescroll platform thing... I'll work with DarkGDK because it is pretty user friendly; in a couple years I'll try my hand DirectX SDL. Do y'all have any suggestions when it comes to the gdk functions that need to be fixed? Like which ones, theres probably a bunch so mentioning some of the more important functions would help tons!! thx 4 the replies pplz

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 00:05
Quote: "Like which ones, theres probably a bunch so mentioning some of the more important functions would help tons!!"

There aren't a "bunch". I'm curious why your friend told you that there are many. I'm working on a similar style game, and haven't run into a single problem with any of the functions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 05:23:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 05:23:34