Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Red Oktober

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 10:11
I watched Hunt for Red October the other day and was inspired to make a little game. Just a simple side scrolling game which took 1/2 a day to make.

Controls:
Arrow Keys move
Spacebar shoot

Collect Rubles for extra time (note floats past). Shoot subs for a bigger score. I can only get 3200

Obviously you need to dodge the enemy subs and enemy torpedoes. The game ends when you die or time runs out.

Comments or Bugs (I'm sure there's some) or suggestions welcome.

Download from http://members.optuszoo.com.au/rooster021/Oktober.zip

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 16:07
Cool game. Has a nice feel, but is a little buggy: your torpedos seem to disappear sometimes. Also, it seems quite a lot based on luck- especially whether the rubles appear at a similar depth to your sub or not. Also, a bit longer would be cool. Maybe make it so that you have more torpedos, or they recharge quicker, and maybe that shooting things gets you extra time. Also it'd be sweet if you could destroy the surface ship. Actually, having the enemy subs actually sink when destroyed would be cool too.

SBSX
[http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=134372]ASTEROID WORLDS[/url]
Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 23:46
Yeah I noticed the Torps disappearing after posting, will look into that after work today.

Will look at your other suggestions as well, thanks.
Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 09:41 Edited at: 18th Aug 2008 12:31
Well I've made a few changes, added explosions for the enemy subs, I think I've conquered the disappearing torps and changed a few attributes to make for a longer game, and I think a better game.

Now what I'd really like to do is make a Strategy game based on the Book/Board Game Red Storm Rising.

The link in the first page has been updated with the new .exe file.

Happy Hunting

Edit : Added Timer based movement, hopefully it works as intended. I just installed a 9800 GT and it was to quick so this is my first attempt at timer based movement.
da king
User Banned
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 20:28
Nice little mini game.

New to Realm Crafter? Need some help, or want to learn some things? Realm Crafter: The lost manual is over 42 pages and 30 images: http://home.moonrisingame.com/tutorial_for_realm_crafter.htm
Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 04:57
Any other comments, would be interested if the timer movement code worked since I son't have a another system to try it on.

Might even add a Highscore table.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 08:19 Edited at: 17th Oct 2008 08:30
everything seemed to run without issue for me (see sig for my modest system specs).

played it a dozen times through, or so. sometimes "simple" can still be a lotta fun. plus, i'm a fan of mini-games like this (and the movie).

with that, where's Crazy Ivan?! you COULD add that pretty simply if you wanted to. give the torpedoes time to arm, just like the movie. shorten that time as you progress, and then remove it altogether

only critique(s) are:

1) i want my sub to face left when i move left, and right when i'm moving right. which probably goes back to many, many (did i mention many?) hours of Defender play back in the day...

2) perhaps a slight reduction in enemy subs, an increase in my torpedoes, and/or addition: Countermeasures. alas, i know this is supposed to be a simple game and adding things can quickly turn it into a full-blown project, so... still worth mentioning

this has been out for a month now... dunno how my sonar missed it. <shrugs>

anyway, good fun. thanks for sharing!

edit:
wanted to add that if you were to consider starting enemies at a slower pace and rate, starting player with quicker reload times, stretching it out some (but not too much)... this would add to the sense of accomplishment for the player and increase replay-ability (and my desire for a high score table). ok. more than 2 cents from me, so i'll stop there.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:08:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:08:32