Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / please help with blender armature animation .x format

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i have a human made in blender (version 2.46 incase that helps) and i can't seem to export my human with animation into .x format, and run the animation sucessfully in darkgdk. im just lost

please help,

the animation is made with armatures and weight painting

the human in blender format is attached.

i would be greatful for any help, seeing as i have been trying to do this for a long time now and always keep failing.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kevinsbro
Years of Service
User Offline
This question has been asked sooo many times!

I remember when I was trying to figure that out. The solution is simple. First, you need to download a piece of software called Fragmotion. Google it and download it. Export the model from blender to direct x, and make sure you have "swap y and z", "animation", and "animation speed" selected. You then import this .x model into fragmotion.

The tricky part:
Sometimes the model gets mirrored, but the bones stay in their original spot. To fix this, just mirror it in blender before you export, so when fragmotion imports it, it looks correct.

Now just export it from fragmotion to direct x. This .x model should correctly load into dark GDK with animations working!

Does this help?
scare crow77
Years of Service
User Offline
Kool, i havnt heard of fragmotion before and i will be glad to give it a go, thanks for the advice
scare crow77
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm, when i export the model from blender i have ANIM selected, SWAP ZY selected, FLIP Z selected, SPEED:25 selected. AND FLIP NORM NOT selected.

Then i have BL.NORMALS selected.

And i select my human and his armature

Then click Export Sel, and save the file as humanimfrag.x

and when i import that file into fragmotion the animation doesnt seem to play in fragmotion (i don't know wether its meant to or not, just thought i'd mention it). Then when i export it as .x again and view it in the DirectX Viewer the animation stays still and when in darkgdk it also stays still.

I feel dumb

Please help.

pic of screen is attached

Attachments

scare crow77
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 20:40 Edited at: 16th Aug 2008 21:15

Attachments

kevinsbro
Years of Service
User Offline
when I export I just select the model, no armature, but im not sure that that is the problem.

First of all, you need a main bone. A bone that is at the top of the heirarchy list, for all bones. Just parent the bones where the legs start and the body starts to another bone (you can keep the bones offset). I call it the main, or master, bone that keeps the bones in the right spot in reference to each other.

When I did this to your model, the legs stayed attached and everything was in place when viewed in the direct x model viewer, directly from blender.

To get it to look correct in fragmotion, I had to flip the normals of the model and mirror the model, in edit mode, aross the y axis.

However, fragmotion was still having a problem with the model. The mesh wasn't lineing up with the bones. This might of happened if you don't have a root frame. You need a frame at the begining of the animation where the bones are not rotated, scalled or moved in any way. Otherwise, it starts the bones at the first frame and assigns the vertices from that spot.

Does this make sense? Did it help? (My spelling is bad, sorry)
Brillig
Years of Service
User Offline
I had this problem when I first started using blender as well. The way I solved it was to use this script instead of the exporter it comes with. It is very similar but with more options and error handling, so it should be able to tell you where you're going wrong. Remember to look at the warnings as well if it doesn't crash.

http://www.geero.net/directx-exporter.html

And in case you have never run a custom python script before, just open it in the text editor and then there's a menu option "Run python script." GOod luck!
scare crow77
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm, kevinsbro, i am not sure how to make a master bone (sorry im new at this), so is it alright if you send me the blender file of the human with a master bone please so i have an idea of what it should be like,

and Brillig, i am affraid i dont know how to check what the errors are?
, but the.x exporter does seem more informative even though i still can't get my animation to export properly.

thanks for all this help guys, hopefully it shall be working soon.

kevinsbro
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I tried my best, but it was difficult because the center of the bones and mesh aren't at (0,0,0). There also seems to be a slight problem with verteces and to which bone they're assigned.

There is the old blender file where I created a root frame and a main bone ("main" is just my wording, I'm not really sure what its called).

The new blender file is where I had to reverse some things so when it loaded into fragmotion, it would look correct.

The new direct x file is the dirsct export from blender.

The final dirsct x file is the final export from fragmotion.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 05:28:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 05:28:19