Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How do I show a static character?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2008 20:21
I need a character that is just there for show, it's a wounded police officer and I don't need him moving or running any scripts. If I turn static mode on he disappears! I realise I can have him dynamic and remove certain scripts and his weapon but there are two reasons I really don't want to do that if possible:

1/. I'm already pushing the frame rate and any more dynamic entities starts slowing things down more.
2/. For some weird reason if I have a dynamic PO with a default main script and no weapon, I get random splash sounds when the player is walking, like the player is walking through water! I remove the officer or make him static and the splash sounds disappear. Figure that one out!

Anyway, I just need a motionless body. I don't have any modelling or mapping software as I don't really do that sort of thing. There's a tutorial in the guide by Airslide that uses fragmotion and milkshape to create a dead body. Before I download does anyone know if the demo of fragmotion and Milkshape allow me to do that?

Thanks.

WildCat
User Banned
Posted: 26th Aug 2008 20:44 Edited at: 26th Aug 2008 20:46
Grab the x file of the model and its texture, open it in entitymaker(im assuming you know how to do that), Instead of character choose object. Do all the other stuff.... Blah blah blah thats how I do it anyway.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2008 22:16
First time I've used entity maker! That did the trick, thanks WildCat, have a beer.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 02:43
I warn you know that ODE will hate you for adding so many polygons to the collision system I think that's one of the main reasons character's can't be made static. I've actually made my dead bodies dynamic and with no collision in order to speed up the collision side of things (and so you can walk through it like other bodies and not need to jump over it or something).

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
That's interesting Airslide. I remember when I was testing my Anubis statue models, I noticed I would take a framerate hit when I turned them into static models. And I was thinking, "What, how can static be slower than dynamic?!" But your explanation makes sense of it now.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 19:37
Could you not just import the static body entity with box collision rather than polygon?

With dynamic characters its a combination of the polycount and ai that kills the framerate. The appear no collision script only has a couple of lines of code so that would help a lot and setting 'isimmobile' to yes and 'physics' to no may do also.

What about the FPSC animated character bi ped. That can increase the models file size quite a lot so if removed from characters that are just being used for props would that improve performance?

I guess its not so much whether an entity is made static or dynamic but to what extent dynamic entities are implemented e.g. ai routines, physics, moveable etc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 11:24:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 11:24:26