Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Dark Physics DarkGDK(C++) installation ??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 20:09
I just bought and downloaded the Dark Physics plugin for Dark GDK..

firstly after a fair few hrs playin around, i managed to get it working... i think..mostly ..

My question is to inquire about some kind of installation guide to be able to install and run... I dont have alot of experience with the VS IDE, but it seemed like i had to do an enormous amount of work to be able to run Dark Physics with the GDK with it... and there is still some graphical glitches, like the emitters not showing textures etc...

some of the problems i had were... link 2019 error... having to reference the DarkPhysics.lib file to the linker as an additional dependancy, it wouldnt find it in the include dir( was same dir as darkGDK.lib and the rest.. i pointed the linker to that dir.. other progs compile/run fine, header file was included... i think it may be missing the #pragma from the start of it to point it to its library ?? not sure there....)

missing NxCooking.DLL... i had installed the latest PhysX runtime drivers from Nvidia.. ended up copying that(and the other .DLL's with it) file from the Dark Physics\samples dir to my project dir to get it to find them...that might be a normal thing, to move the DLL... but i couldnt find any reference of to how to point my program to find it without copying it manually... kind of guessed there..

Media was in the wrong place and was referenced incorrectly in the app code.. meaning that i had to manually move the \\media directory around to run the demos... otherwise it would crash or not load assets..i wasnt wanting to alter the code, just make it run...

When i installed Dark Physics, i used the EXE that i downloaded and let it put everything where it was meant to... i found the Dark Physics information file.. while is all about DarkBasic, which im not using, and the Dark Physics reference file, which has the function declerations and a short explanation of how to use them..

Im sure that i must be missing something... it just seems like i had to do an aweful amount of work, jsut to be able to load the sample projects and run them.. I couldnt find any guide pertaining to the C++ DarkGDK version installation.. the emails that i recieved had instruction for the DarkBasic version and my key code etc for that.... but nothing in regards to the DarkGDK version...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... i have really enjoyed playing around with the GDK and the physics plugin so far... but i have a feeling that i have "butchered" it into working.. and am missing something fundamental...

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Neofish_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 19:57 Edited at: 1st Sep 2008 20:44
I've just downlaoded DP after having to wait all weekend and I opened the sample project after putting the libs and includes in the right places. First problem : default directory is the wrong place on vista 64bit. Second : when I compile the samples, I get a whole mess of errors, but the common error for all of them is this: (The others were type conversion errors!!)

fatal error C1047: The object or library file 'Crogram Files (x86)The Game CreatorsDark GDKLibVS9DarkPhysics.lib' was created with an older compiler than other objects; rebuild old objects and libraries

How can I fix that without being able to actually build the lib?
I'm using VC++ 2008 express (9.0.30729.1 SP1).

Pre-post edit : I've found out my VC is too new.... 9.0.21022.8 RTM is what I need. Surely it should have recompiled and everyone else should update, not me having to rollback?!!

EDIT: Lo and behold, you can't get anything but SP1 any more..

I'm also Neofish but my account split into two somehow :s
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 11:23
The Dark Physics installation has been setup to integrate into Dark GDK, but this only happens if the install path matches Dark GDK. If you install to another location then you will have to setup additional paths for Dark Physics include and library files.

One important point with the samples - you need to ensure the working directory is correct e.g. C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Samples\Dark Physics. If this is set correctly then there should be no issues with DLLs and objects missing textures etc.

This morning I upgraded to 9.0.30729.1 SP1. Was able to compile Dark Physics and Dark GDK samples without any issues. Neofish please can you provide more information on this issue. Can you compile any regular Dark GDK sample? Do you encounter issues here? Can you try opening the samples solution that comes with Dark Physics, compile Advanced Machinery and show me the full output from the compiler. Also please provide a list of all include and library directories.
Neofish_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 12:37
Mike,

I didn't notice you'd posted here so I've sent some stuff through the support system.

All the GDK samples compile and run without any problems. As I said in the support facility I've managed to get the ball demo to compile under Debug. However, it appears to not work properly (all the colours are far too saturated, and bright (ie very white).

I'll get you a build log for Advanced Machinery, one for Ball Drop is already here.

Neofish_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 12:53
I can't modify my post yet so a new one will do for now

They all compile under debug, but with a lot of quite nasty warnings. I'm going to try a complete reinstall of all three products so I can be sure I did install correctly. Then I'll rar up the build logs and anything else you need. Some of the phys samples work, but I'm not sure if they are working correctly, like advanced machinery has a glow/motion trail effect and sphere explosion doesn't have a backdrop, so the spheres leave trails :p

Neofish_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 12:57
I can't modify my post yet so a new one will do for now

They all compile under debug, but with a lot of quite nasty warnings. I'm going to try a complete reinstall of all three products so I can be sure I did install correctly. Then I'll rar up the build logs and anything else you need. Some of the phys samples work, but I'm not sure if they are working correctly, like advanced machinery has a glow/motion trail effect and sphere explosion doesn't use a backdrop properly or something similar so it leaves unsimilar trails.

Neofish_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 13:32
Ok, I reinstalled everything correctly. And compiled everything under debug, I'll upload a rar of the buildlogs now.

Note : sorry if there was any msg spam from my last message, chrome went a bit weird after a BSOD :p

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 16:45
Neofish I just replied to your support mail. Please don't go to the trouble of reinstalling. It looks like everything is fine and maybe now the only problem is the working directory so Dark GDK is not picking up the media.
Neofish_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 17:57
Thanks for your help Mike, I've replied to your email

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 23:12 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2008 23:13
Hi Mike,
I'm having some difficulties with DGDK on VS2005 and DarkPhysics as well, hope you help me out...

I've no problem using DarkLights and DarkAI in VS2005, but DarkPhysics is giving me a headache! I can't get it to work!

I'm running Visual Studio 2005 under Windows XP SP2 and the latest DarkPhysics update from TGC! ( and also the drivers from NVIDIA )

No fancy code, even if I try to start the DP, I'll get this error!
Quote: "fatal error LNK1257: code generation failed"

Any ideas?!!!

I can't even compile this simple code! ( just using dbPhyStart ( ) for example! )

As I just mentioned, I have no problem using other plugins with this method!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
-Try
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 07:09
@Try.. If you can do the things that are outlined by Mike in the above posts to NeoFisk_ .. perhaps that may help, also if u can provide some more information such as the complete compile/linker output( i assume its actually compiling the code fine, and that error is thrown by your linker ? .. that would lead me to believe that the linker cant find something somewhere(more than likely libraries) that it needs to link to/from, and your compiler cant generate the code it needs to because of that.. that is just a guess, but double check all of your linker's pathing options for the project, make sure it knows where to find anything it needs )

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 07:09 Edited at: 4th Sep 2008 07:13
EDIT :

@ MODS : Please delete this post, i apologise for the trouble, but double clicked the "post message" button accidentally when i was posting the above reply....

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, the "fatal error LNK1257: code generation failed" is the only error/message I get!

The code and the project settings are nothing but the code and setting from the 'Example1' in the 'Samples' folder of DarkGDK! ( Actually I just copied and renamed the 'Example1' to 'DarkPhysics Test', that's all! )

I'm not even sure if the DarkPhysics is compatible with VS2005 or not!!! But I'm sure that DarkAI and DarkLights are!

I've managed to implement the NVIDIA/AGEIA PhysX in DGDK before even buying the DarkPhysics package! ( and solving all the little problems such as different right/left handed coordinate systems and all! )
I've got some of their samples fully converted to DarkGDK using the original SDK itself! But since I don't really want to re-write the DarkPhysics my self (though I'm sure that wouldn't be easy or even possible for me at the moment!) I just ordered the DarkPhysics from TGC, But... just got stuck!!! Because now I can't use DP nor have I the energy or patience to keep on writing my own in DGDK ( I just got RigidBody physics in there, no SoftBody, Fluid effects, etc. )

Waiting for Mike to show up... Tick...Tock...Tick...Tock

Tnx alot,
Cheers,
-Try
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 12:08
Try, the Dark Physics library was compiled using the 2008 version of the compiler as was the rest of GDK with the possible exceptions of some expansions such as Dark AI. The only advice I can offer is to upgrade to the latest compiler as we no longer officially support the older versions.
Neofish_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 12:11
Just in case you didn't know, VC++ Express 2008 is completely free unlimited time from MS, so upgrading hopefully won't be a problem. (Although I advise trying to keep the old one on your PC, as other projects/etc might break :p)

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mike,
Shown up, huh? (j/k)
Thanks for the advice Mike; I've bought the DGDK (Freeware version) long ago... and I'm really happy with it, because I'm using DarkShader with no problem... alright, the problem is that I've just heard that the 2008 version of the GDK doesn't like shaders much! Is that true? Or I'll just be as happy as ever with GDK 2008?

If the new GDK works with DarkShader as well as DarkPhysics, then VS2008 will be embraced by me in no time

Will report the result right after you answer the DarkShader question

Thanks alot Mike, you too Mista Wilson
Cheers,
-Try
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 14:21
Try, Dark Shader works fine with 2008. The only problem you may encounter is if a shader is exported that uses a version below 2.0. Simply update the FX file to use 2.0 or above and you are ready to go.
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
Mike,
Okay, Upgraded to Visual Studio 2008 Professional. DarkPhysics is working pretty cool! (Execpt for the remote debugger tool which shows everything mirrored by x-axis in it's viewer and I don't know why! because I got the same in dgdk and remote debugger when I wrote my own with the original SDK provided by AGEIA/NVIDIA! no mirrors at all!)

And about shaders... Some are working (mostly simple ones), and some more complex ones are not!!! I get errors because I can't set shader constants from DGDK!)

Will dig some more to see if I've done something wrong!

btw, can I contact you with your mail?!!!

Cheers,
-Try
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 14:46
Try, sure you can email me using mike@thegamecreators.com. I can help out where possible.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 11:40
hey @Try... im really glad you got it working, I hope the upgrade from MSVS05 to 08 wasnt painful for you

In regards to the remote debugger in Dark Physics( basically the same remote debugger from the PhysX SDK) displays its view as though they are "mirrored".. I believe this is just the behaviour of that program, its something it does thru its connection to the PhysX drivers(the version its using anyway, later versions work properly and there is no mirroring I believe ) and I dont think has anything to do with GDK directly, just the driver version its using, so unfortunately its not something thats easy to fix.. ( as far as I know... But I do think this behaviour of the debugger has been noted elsewhere, might have been the PhysX SDK documentation I saw it in, or maybe these forums. )

VRMan3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 01:36 Edited at: 26th Nov 2008 04:53
Hi Mike and everyone,

I'm having the same problem someone else mentioned here but I never noticed a solution mentioned....

The error was this:
..."fatal error C1047: The object or library file 'Crogram FilesThe Game CreatorsDark GDKLibVS9DarkPhysics.lib' was created with an older compiler than other objects"

I'm running Vista Home Premium Edition (the only difference from my previous dev environments that worked just fine).

I installed VCC, and GDK (all freshly downloaded today from the Microsoft site) and tested it all before installing DarkPhysics - and the GDK wizard compiled and worked just fine.

EDIT NOTE: After more careful scrutiny of the above posts I noticed that Neofish_ mentioned that his VC++ 2008 was 'too new'. So perhaps that's where my problem lies? I just downloaded the latest VC++ 2008 this evening from the MS site, and it came with the latest SP1 already integrated.... So is there a known fix for this? Do I need to somehow find a copy of the older VCC-2008? Just like NeoFish_ I'm using VC++ 2008 express (9.0.30729.1 SP1) which is what's currently available right now on microsoft.com. I suppose there's a chance that I might have the older, non-web-installer full version of VC++, but I have my doubts....

I guess the only other difference is that I installed the latest update to DarkPhysics for the 2008 express c++ entitled: DarkGDK_Update_NOV08.zip

I'd really like to get this going again if anyone can offer some assistance. Especially since NewEgg is delivering my new NVidia GTX 260 tomorrow! I'm really excited to see how my DP projects perform with it but as of right now I'm out of luck.

Thanks very much for any help!
-=VRMan=-

World Famous 3D Screensavers
-- http://www.vrman3d.com --
VRMan3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 04:52
I just noticed after reading another thread about the same thing (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=138484&b=30), although it doesn't offer a solution either, I found that my projects compile when in debug mode - and I didn't notice it had defaulted to release mode...

So that's good enough for now - anyone know though if there's a way to get it to compile in Release mode? Is there a fixed release darkPhysics.lib?

I'm hoping to release an updated 2008 version of my vrChristmas screensaver soon. I guess debug mode exe would be ok, but of course Release would be a little better (usually a teensy bit better performance, smaller exe, etc.)

Thanks much, and Merry Christmas!
-=VRMan=-

World Famous 3D Screensavers
-- http://www.vrman3d.com --
bLuEkEeZZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2008 04:02
Hi It's my first post here and new to GDK and DPhysics. Im developing a game similar to UNO stacko. I needed Dphysics for the creating dynamics of the blocks so I decided to get one. I just bought the Dark Physics GDK, and had problems using this plugin.

I dunno if I've linked it properly or just wrong coding. Similar to what TRY had first encountered, i can't seem to compile the code dbPhyStart() I added the DarkPhysics header file but didn't include the pragma line for the library similar what TRY did:
Quote: "#include "DarkGDK.h"
#include "DarkPhysics.h"
#pragma comment ( lib, "DarkPhysics.lib" )"

My header files:

BTW my code is patterned from Dark Invaders sample, my code:

And here's my Output build:

Quote: "1>------ Build started: Project: UNONGA, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>UNONGA.cpp
1>Linking...
1>UNONGA.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl dbPhySetDynamicFriction(float)" (?dbPhySetDynamicFriction@@YAXM@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl GamePlay(void)" (?GamePlay@@YAXXZ)
1>UNONGA.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl dbPhyMakeRigidBodyStaticBox(int)" (?dbPhyMakeRigidBodyStaticBox@@YAXH@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl GamePlay(void)" (?GamePlay@@YAXXZ)
1>UNONGA.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl dbPhySetStaticFriction(float)" (?dbPhySetStaticFriction@@YAXM@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl GamePlay(void)" (?GamePlay@@YAXXZ)
1>UNONGA.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl dbPhyStart(int,int,int)" (?dbPhyStart@@YAXHHH@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl GamePlay(void)" (?GamePlay@@YAXXZ)
1>Debug\UNONGA.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\KUYA\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\UNONGA\UNONGA\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>UNONGA - 5 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped =========="

My Linkers are:
-----------------
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Include
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Include

C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Lib\vs9
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Lib\x86

Im using:
----------------
Vista Home Premium
Latest drivers
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2009 22:36 Edited at: 5th Mar 2009 22:40
I'm getting the same problem as bLuEkEeZZ. I can run DarkGDK examples fine. Dark Invaders, etc. But after installing Dark Physics if I try to run the samples I get:

I've set up all the directories. And updated DP to latest DLLs. As per Screensaver tutorial:

Quote: "D. To confirm DarkGDK is installed correctly, ensure that the following paths are set up:

Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories

Include files = C:/Program FilesThe Game CreatorsDark GDKInclude
Include files = C:TGCSDKPhysX-273SDKsPhysXLoaderInclude
Include files = C:TGCSDKPhysX-273SDKsPhysicsInclude
Include files = C:TGCSDKPhysX-273SDKsNxExtensionsInclude
Include files = C:TGCSDKPhysX-273SDKsNxCharacterInclude
Include files = C:TGCSDKPhysX-273SDKsFoundationInclude
Include files = C:TGCSDKPhysX-273SDKsCookingInclude
Library files = C:/Program FilesThe Game CreatorsDark GDKLibVS9
Library files = C:TGCSDKPhysX-273SDKslibwin32

Also make sure you have copied in the DarkPHYSICS.h into the DarkGDK include folder
and you can copied the DarkPHYSICS.LIB into the DarkGDK library folder as well"

PhysX sdk dirs are different but I've set these to the correct locations in c++2008. Help!

Trying to compile the screensaver demo gives me this error also:

War is terrorism with a bigger budget
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2009 03:42
if you exclude these libs ,libcmtd, msvcrt, atls the linker problems will go away , at least they did for me

chunks

nvidia geforce 8600gt + amd athlon 64
windows xp pro.
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2009 10:34 Edited at: 6th Mar 2009 10:34
Thanks for the pointer, Chunks chunks, I did a further search and I think I've got enough to see if I can make it work when I get home tonight.

This forum seems to deal with this problem in more detail:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=122531&b=22

Might be something to do with running them in multi-threaded debug mode. Who'd a thought it!

Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2009 21:14
Yeah it seems that the Dark Physics sample projects already have excluded these: libs ,libcmtd, msvcrt, atls.

I wish there were wizards for dark physics gdk..

Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2009 22:07
Hmm. Reverting to the original install of DP and NOT installing the DP updates seems to have the samples working again.

Everything except the water demo which gives:
Unhandled exception at 0x00408bda in Water.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000088.

silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 19:32 Edited at: 18th Apr 2009 19:35
Hi...

Same Probleme for me with the "DarkPhysics_GDK_261108" and DarkPhysic Sample

Anyone have any ideas?

thx
silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 16:24 Edited at: 20th Apr 2009 16:30
Ok, I contact support and Send me New LIB Physic

DarkPhysics.h,DarkPhysics.lib,dxFluidRenderLib.lib

I installed it, and i add "dxFluidRenderLib.lib" in the additionnal Dependancie's Project.

so , Compile successfull..

I had Try to code Fluid Project , and It run too..

thx support (Mike Johnson)
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 18:32
@silken

If you have got it going what do you have in the ignore box of the linker and other places, (posted a requst for this in DGK), as I have the same files as you but cannot get all the physX demos to run.

Plus I think I have clicked and tick and added to many bit to VS son now I do not know what should be what.

Quote: "I installed it, and i add "dxFluidRenderLib.lib" in the additionnal Dependancie's Project."

where and how did you do this?

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 23:51 Edited at: 20th Apr 2009 23:56
@HowDo

first the support TGC send me new lib:

"DarkPhysics.h","DarkPhysics.lib","dxFluidRenderLib.lib"

When i Try to install it and compile the Sample physic i had got Error

So i Try to Add additionnal Dependancie's on project "dxFluidRenderLib.lib"

To do this:

-right Clic on your project
-properties
-Linker
-Input
-additionnal Dependancie : DarkPhysics.lib dxFluidRenderLib.lib

dont put "," into the LIB:

OK : DarkPhysics.lib dxFluidRenderLib.lib
NO_OK : DarkPhysics.lib, dxFluidRenderLib.lib

And try compile

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 12:30 Edited at: 21st Apr 2009 12:36
well its got one or two going but most others are coming up with this.

be nice if VS told you what it ment.

I give up, can some one do a step by step on how to set up GDK physX GDK and AI GDK, so that if you were to use all of them it will tick, not just some of them.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:42:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:42:20