Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How does FPSC compare to other 3D engines?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Man I have jumped in with both feet. Mainly concentrating on the scripts- to see if FPS can really make something competitive.. it seems great. Are the other engines actually so much better than this one? It is lots of fun to use, and the scripting language I am beginning to catch on. Thanks for all the posted scripts, gives me something to hack and experiment with.

It seems like you can do lots with this engine, but it still takes time, but much easier than other 3D world engines. I watched the video tutorials for noobs, and got a handle on it. One thing I note is the file sizes are big.. but Rastaman's file squeezer might help with this.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 13:05
FPSC is a good engine...
You just need to know how to use it!
As for other 3d engines...I am not saying that FPSC is better than those.
But if you take time in your project than you can make something good in FPSC.
Also it is easier to use than most of the 3d engines.
But than again, you dont have the best AI in FPSC or graphics.
(AI problem isnt that bad, since Bond1 is creating superb models which react and acts like commercial game enemies)

As for the graphics! There are some mods coming out which improve the graphics part.
And thats great! But a shame that it doesnt use parralax mapping
or flashlight capabilities!

And! First the weapons looked cool and all! But they didnt reacted like..."real" weapons..like the zoom function!
But! Again! Airslide fixed that with his Airmod.

As for the filesize. I dont think that it is that bad.
Cause if you look at commercial games their filesize, they reach over the 1 gb!
And i think with FPSC if you create a full game that maybe you end up using 1 gb...(but than i am talking about many levels, which use a variety of textures)
Since 3d meshes dont take that amount of filesize. The same goes with scripts.

So it really depends on, how you use your textures and sounds/music files.

Oh yeah! And welcome to the forums!

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 14:27
I`ll give an answer as short as possible:

+ Easy to Use
+ Perfect for getting into Level Design / Game Design
+ If you like, you can customize almost everything
+ Great models from gifted talents around here, some decent stuff already included

- Almost worst performance of all "low-budget-engines"
- Shaders on Segments are a pain in the a**
- Pretty bad AI if you don`t script your own one
- No mass scenes possible, as AI drinks CPU Power like czech builders Budweiser beer

It`s harder to get a commercial quality game done in FPSC than in A7 (as example), but it`s possible, and you need less (to none) knowledge when starting. You`ll learn by doing.

Come to where the madness is:
http://www.homegrowngames.at
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 14:36 Edited at: 29th Aug 2008 14:46
Quote: "Are the other engines actually so much better than this one?"

No they aren't. I've used the Gamestudio A7 and Torque engines and despite a seemingly better list of features, it requires too much work for a single developer to reap the benefits of them. The Sauerbraten 2 / Cube 2 engine is the only other option I would say is potentially viable.

Quote: "It seems like you can do lots with this engine"

You can. It's a fully realised game engine capable of producing very high quality games. Sure they might not be commercial quality right now but you could produce something completely unique that is comparable with games made using the Quake3 engine.

Quote: "One thing I note is the file sizes are big.. but Rastaman's file squeezer might help with this"

You can download an application called FPSPack which is now free and will compress your compiled game file size by 50%.

Quote: "Cause if you look at commercial games their filesize, they reach over the 1 gb!"

More like 4 gb for current commercial games. Unreal 2 was 1.4 gb on 2 CD's and that came out sometime ago. There's a lot of talk in the industry of developers releasing games on 2 DVD's at the moment which is the only advantage the PS3 has over 360 in regards to Blue ray storage capacity.

Quote: "Almost worst performance of all "low-budget-engines""

Whilst the performance in FPSC can grind to a halt if you try to throw a large scale scene at it. It's perfectly possible to achieve a game that runs at a constant 30 frames per second with moderately large scenes and high quality details.

It is also receiving a lot of updates at the moment and is getting even better all the time. The community is the best I've come across in terms of support and giving away high quality media which you can use in your own games, although its a lot more rewarding to model your own, especially characters and such.

The community mods are also very good, particularly EFX mod which gives you extremely high quality graphics e.g. water, bloom, moving lights and dynamic shadows.

There is only 1 issue I have on the graphics side of things at the moment which is the lack of a good bump map shader for segment surfaces. Unfortunately FPSC shader programmers are very hard to come by.

Considering it costs $50 / £25 this is the best value for money software you will ever buy and the best possible chance of making your very own high quality first person shooter.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 15:09 Edited at: 29th Aug 2008 15:20
FPSC is a good place to start, but it does lack some of the visual sheen of some of the other engines. The graphics can be a bit ropey but it never detracts frmo the software.

The best bits of FPSC come from the programmers on the forums. Airmod, EFX, ButterCutter, sensei and others. Then theres some good model packs available, Bond1 did some good ones and theres loads of others. Bits of free software like Wehtam's Entity Workshop make creating models a lot easier.

So the answer to your question is, yes, FPSC can be brilliant, but you have to invest a lot of time and effort into it and build up your assets to make a good game.

A point proved by Ertlov last year when he released Anderson: Legacy of Cthuluulululululululu (I can't spell it). Go and look in the shops or on amazon.

That said I've been playing about on Crytek's Sandbox 2 and it's brilliant.. but not as easy to use and learn as FPSC. It's your choice... ease of use or quality.

[center]
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 15:22
Quote: "You can download an application called FPSPack which is now free and will compress your compiled game file size by 50%. "

Isn't FPSpack incompatible with the save/load feature though? From memory it deletes your save games when you quit out of the program (unless that was fixed in an update that I don't know about)...
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 15:55
Quote: "So the answer to your question is, yes, FPSC can be brilliant, but you have to invest a lot of time and effort into it and build up your assets to make a good game."

True. Not nearlly as much time and effort as the other game engines out there though. All of the community developed tools are excellent and definately save a great deal of time.

Quote: "That said I've been playing about on Crytek's Sandbox 2 and it's brilliant.. but not as easy to use and learn as FPSC. It's your choice... ease of use or quality."

Funny you should say that. There was an interview with one of the Far Cry developers who said he found FPSC and excellent piece of software to quickly prototype level designs and ideas.

I will check out Sandbox 2 though since you've recommended it. The only thing I find with commercial game editors is their setup for editing existing maps or creating a map which is very similar to those featured in the game. FPSC is good because it makes no such assumptions about the game you are going to create and encourages you to be more creative in that respect. I'm sure Sandbox 2 is a lot of fun but would you actually try and make a commercial game with it? probably not.

Quote: "Isn't FPSpack incompatible with the save/load feature though?"

It was but I think the latest version was released for free and that was one of the features being talked about as being fixed. I haven't used it for a while so will need to test. I think Vishnu might provide some file compression aswell but not sure if it's 50% like with FPSPack.

One more thing I would mention about FPSC is how surprising well the map editor works. When I've used some of the other engines to build maps before you end up getting lost in a sea of wireframes and can spend a great deal of time just trying to negotiate the 3D space and figure out where you are. The FPSC map editor is sublime.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 16:52 Edited at: 29th Aug 2008 16:56
Quote: "FPSC is good because it makes no such assumptions about the game you are going to create and encourages you to be more creative in that respect. I'm sure Sandbox 2 is a lot of fun but would you actually try and make a commercial game with it? probably not."

Actually that's very true, despite the fact that you can't actually create freestanding games with Sandbox (that is to say they can only be played by people with Crysis)

And FPSC doesn't make any assumptions. That's true. Sandbox certainly limits you to islands/ areas full of vegetation, but the level onboard the aircraft carrier shows that it can be a little diverse.

Actually it's probably unfair to compare FPSC with Sandbox as Sandbox is definitely a free-roaming FPS whereas FPSC doesn't aim to do that at all.

Another thing to say before you all rush off to buy Sandbox is that placing entities can be very difficult, often disapppearing beneath terrain or appearing in stupid places that are over the other side of the map to where you want them to be. Perspective editing is also annoying as all objects have to be individually maneuvered into position along axes which I have found to be very time consuming (although I suspect it might become quicker with practice) Overall, I still prefer FPSC just because it's so much easier and less pinnicky to use.

Errrrrmmm... I've lost myself so I'll stop talking.

[center]
Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 19:24
Quote: "Funny you should say that. There was an interview with one of the Far Cry developers who said he found FPSC and excellent piece of software to quickly prototype level designs and ideas."

Could you post a link to it?

Make games, not war.
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 00:27
Since you mentioned the Sandbox:
As with every other level editor for an existing game you only can do Mods that depend on others to have the actual game you modded.
So with FPSCreator being able to export a standalone game executable by *anyone* you have an advantage regarding your target audience.
FPSCreator (X9) may lacks some of the fancy stuff of "nextGen" titles but can give you a start with developing/showing off your ideas.
And as you drill deeper, learn to customize your stuff and maybe to master FPI scripts i bet you could do at least a funny little indy title. I ran into "Anderson...", an FPSC title, that was on sale in a supermarket in my area...it went for 5€ but why not?

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 00:38
Yes I love FPSC because it's not just making a game, but it's like a girlfriend...you have to constantly be figuring out. And, once you figure something about it out, you can output better things.

Idk if that makes sense at all, but hey. It's like a puzzle. lol.

Oh what I would give for Leadwerks to be implemented into FPSC.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 03:03
Quote: " but it's like a girlfriend"

It even strops like my girlfriend.

"An error has occured! Give me more money! Give me your car keys!"

[center]
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 04:00
Quote: "but it's like a girlfriend...you have to constantly be figuring out. And, once you figure something about it out, you can output better things."

Or just become even more perplexed

carroll6
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for taking the time to answer me! The thing is, FPSC you have to work at it, just like the other ones. So you want something that is worth the effort. If FPSC isn't it, you need to concentrate on something else. Boy I really like it. We are always learning. I am working on Joomla and other CMS right now, and just examining each one to see which is the best takes time.

I guess it's down to what "I" think is good, and I think FPSC is good. It's not all that "simple" either.

The idea of the game seems to have a lot to do with it. I played the Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes games and they were quite boring. There is a Flash game called "Last Stand2".. I can't stop playing this game! "Last Stand1", the predecssor is a shoot the zombies.. boring. "Last Stand2" introduces a storyline, and a few extra twist. MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the WORLD!

So.. the point is.. it isn't all about graphics and blood and music and progrmming. Remember "Panzer General"? Quite simple.. I could not stop playing this game... played it for hours on end.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 11:26:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 11:26:13