Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How can you have good graphics on Intel GPU?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought a Vista laptop. The specs were not good enough for X10.
Is there a way to have lighting effects that don't slow down frame rates? I can't make very good games with my laptop. Although new market games actually work on low video resolution such as COD4.

Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium* , Service Pack 1 (6.0.6001)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 2549 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 358 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 132 MB
Processor: x86 family 6 Model 15 Stepping 10
Processor Speed: 2000 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2A02
Device Revision: 03
Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 08:10
no your going to need a better graphics card..
And since its a labtop, if you want better graphics then your going to need to buy a new Laptop with better graphics.

pain

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
But I want to know ways other than buying a new computer.
It can handle COD4, why can't it handle FPSC?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 09:18
One was well coded, the other was FPSC.

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL
True

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 14:42 Edited at: 31st Aug 2008 14:42
There might be some laptop versions of 8 series graphics cards floating about, but I don't know because I don't have a laptop and am too tired and lazy to Google search.

[center]
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, most laptops don't have PCIe x16 slots...

Most laptop GPUs are soldered onto the motherboard. I've only encountered a single laptop with a PCIe x16 slot, and that was an Asus one.

Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah. All laptops are designed to meet the guidelines of heat release from the machine. Go around taking apart laptops and putting in new GPUs will cause your motherboard to overheat and melt parts of your laptop. All you will get is a sticky mess.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 18:18
Intel graphics suck.

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 00:14
Indeed.

[center]
Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 04:53
heres were you can get good laptops
I like them I had just bought one from them, its fantastic!!
They are a little over priced but its worth it, my freind also has one of them and he has owned it for a good 4-5 years now it plays COD4 still (low gfx) and hes dropped it about 4 times now so.. I wouldn't recomend testing that though i think hes just lucky lol

But I still bought from them so far so good.

Pain

Me = noob

Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
I AM NOT getting a laptop. I know Intel sucks. Nvidia is the best. I will be getting a new COMPUTER next year. Hopefully with 2X8800 Nvidia GT.
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 12:00
I've seen FPSC X9 run quite fine on Intel integrated graphics chipsets. You could use that instead of X10.
Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using X9 otherwise it would have been in the X10 board.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 12:25
Quote: "I've seen FPSC X9 run quite fine on Intel integrated graphics chipsets. You could use that instead of X10."

Ran like crap on mine.My Intel integrated chipset wouldn't work worth a crap with FPSC or much of anything else that's been made in the last 10 years or so.
I bought my pc just a few months before FPSC came out.
Buy a real card.
Nvidia or (my favorite) ATI.
I have a 2400 pro that runs sweet.
Intel needs to stick to processors and stay away from graphics.

Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
I know but its the vendor that decides what goes in.
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 16:39
Quote: "Ran like crap on mine.My Intel integrated chipset wouldn't work worth a crap with FPSC or much of anything else that's been made in the last 10 years or so.
I bought my pc just a few months before FPSC came out."

Ok, I should of course have mentioned that my experience is with some of the newer versions of their integrated graphic chipsets. While they aren't super speedy they will run the FPSC editor and games quite well in my opnion.
Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
My laptop suprisingly is NEW. And they even put Vista Premium. Too bad they could only but in an intel GPU with 356MB RAM.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 12:21
Quote: "I know but its the vendor that decides what goes in. "

Not if they want your money! Don't buy 'pre-built' computers... If you can't put one together yourself go somewhere that will put in what YOU want not what they tell you to have...

If possible don't even get them to load the software on... that way you don't get all the bloatware they like to stick on...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 12:32
I agree.Sometimes those blasted places put the software on (or fail to take it off when you tell them to).
If they tell you they can't sell it to you the way you want go elsewhere.Someone who wants your money will make you happy.
What's left of this rig is the last prebuilt pc I am buying.My next one I buy piece by piece and put it together myself (and hope I don't start a fire or blow anything up... ).

Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
But you can't really build a laptop....
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 13:06
Quote: "But you can't really build a laptop.... "

If you must have a laptop buy one from a company that will put it together the way you want...

If you want a machine to play games don't buy a laptop (not even a gaming laptop), in the long run it's not worth it... I was excited when I got my laptop but I soon realised that they're not that useful for what I want...
Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
I know I just learnt that. So how can I play FPSC games with effects on my laptop?
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 13:29
Quote: "One was well coded, the other was FPSC."

Hehehe... TGC just got pwned :p

I love Jenkins forever :p
There is nothing to fear except fear itself... and FPSC bugs.
Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 13:29 Edited at: 5th Sep 2008 13:31
I think we noticed that.
So is the problem with lag in FPSC the scripts?
Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 19:24
alieanware Labtops..

Pain

Me = noob

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 23:15 Edited at: 6th Sep 2008 02:39
Quote: " I will be getting a new COMPUTER next year. Hopefully with 2X8800 Nvidia GT."

Come next year, you *won't* want those GPUs.

In today's market, the moment you open the box, it's pretty much depricated.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Or maybe I'll try get a Nvidia 9 series seeing that I am getting it next year.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 06:26
Here's some math for you:

FPSC + laptop = SUCK

Check it out around here.There are quite a few people who have laptops and the experience as I take it (since I don't have one) is not good.
While Plystire can give you a better and more technical explanation it boils down to the laptop hardware and the way it works and handles graphics.
An uber laptop isn't going to solve your problems.It's the way the laptops work that's the problem.
Now Ply can come in here,beat me for screwing this up and give you a proper explaination.
Who knows...I could be wrong.
All I know is that it seems to me that laptops have issues with FPSC.
Maybe Lee will develop FPSC Mobile so you can take it on your laptop and cell phone...

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 07:31
Quote: "Intel needs to stick to processors and stay away from graphics"

But then who would provide the budget GPUs that are designed for general computer use rather than gaming? Essentially, that's the point of Intel chipsets.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 08:19
Quote: "Now Ply can come in here,beat me for screwing this up and give you a proper explaination."

As you wish.

I have run FPSC on my laptop which is now roughly..... 5 years old. So in laptop years it's about as old as my grandpa.

It didn't do so well with FPSC, but I can't blame that on the fact that it's a laptop. It's a generic laptop, with no spectacular stats on it even when I got the thing. FPSC ran on it, but it was horrendously slow.

The thing about laptops is that the whole point of them is to be compact and mobile, and when it comes to running games, you need to have some hardware to help it along. Laptops don't get much attention when it comes to hardware, because (for some reason) companies make their newest and greatest GPUs only available for the desktop motherboards. By the time they get miniaturized down to the level of being used in a laptop, they're outdated and still won't be able to power whatever it is you want to play. On top of this, CPUs in laptops shouldn't run as well as those in a desktop. It's not a matter of capability here, though, it's a matter of sense. When the CPU in a desktop is running, it has a nice big heat sink and fan to keep it cool plus extra space inside the case to let air flow easily. You just don't have that in a laptop.

See... laptops were designed with business in mind, not games. They are great for business men on the go, who can't always have access to a desktop PC... whereas gamers kinda NEED a desktop since they're not just running MS Office and IE.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 11:54
While many seem disapointed with FPSC and laptop performance I would say it is simply a matter of buying the right laptop.

I have been running FPSC on my Centrino Duo laptop for a long time without any problems at all. The framerate is excellent even with the slightly old GeForce Go 7600 graphics card. Mobility to me is important so I gladly trade it for the few extra frames per second.

A lot of laptops today have excellent dedicated graphics cards. But if you buy a low end and cheap laptop then I am not surprised that you find 3D perfomce to be low.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 12:12
Quote: "A lot of laptops today have excellent dedicated graphics cards."

True but they're still just cut down versions on the Desktop graphics cards...

I remember reading an article somewhere about external graphics cards for laptop pcs... So it has a run of the mill graphics card inside for when you're on the go but you plug in an external one for when you need the extra kick for gaming...
Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 02:55 Edited at: 7th Sep 2008 03:01
But why do you need such high end computers for FPSC? Is it not efficient?
I see no external GPU slot and my laptop is NEW. I don't think that is the case. You can't plug in an external GPU.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 03:16
Quote: "I see no external GPU slot and my laptop is NEW. I don't think that is the case. You can't plug in an external GPU."

I didn't mean they were available yet... The article I read just described it as technology in progress...
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 09:23 Edited at: 7th Sep 2008 09:24
My laptop run fps creator x9 and x10 just fine.
Maybe it's because i paid two grand for it or maybe it's because it was made to make games,its a mobile workstation. But the fact of the matter is your laptop just don't have the power to run fps and if you dont want to buy another (I wonldn't want to either) your best bet is to wait..
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 11:00
Wait for what?

Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 11:33 Edited at: 7th Sep 2008 11:38
But I said earlier I am getting a new PC. NOT A LAPTOP. (This laptop is new so I will wait a year, then buy a new one.)
It seems that FPSC is for high end PCs.

Quote: "Maybe Lee will develop FPSC Mobile so you can take it on your laptop and cell phone..."

It must have to be a very efficient new engine.

I read wikipedia and someone wrote:

Criticisms
FPS Creator has been the subject of a volume of criticism ever since its release; most point out FPS Creator's underpowered engine, the very limited FPI scripting, below average AI, low frame rates and lack of stability. The creators have since issued many patches, but many of the bugs still exist in FPS Creator's code structure. Users of FPS Creator have also found that many features have been broken by these updates, including FPS Creators pixel shader support.

The most current update 1.12 addresses many of the problems above.

(from Wikipedia)

[href]null[/href]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPS_Creator
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 23:30
I know that is what i was saying to wait for your new pc.. wow it say that in wikipedia ouch..
Ghost thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 11:37 Edited at: 8th Sep 2008 11:45
Must be an FPSC hater who wrote that on wiki. Before I got on to FPSC I was searching and I saw a forum full of haters. (They were people who were using Silent Walk FPSC. lol. Silent Walk is by far least realiable engine)

Quote: "seth zer0
My laptop run fps creator x9 and x10 just fine.
Maybe it's because i paid two grand for it or maybe it's because it was made to make games,its a mobile workstation. But the fact of the matter is your laptop just don't have the power to run fps and if you dont want to buy another (I wonldn't want to either) your best bet is to wait.. "

I say that $2000 will get a PC that will be better than an uber laptop. Unless you happen to travel a lot.

My budget for a good PC (next year) will be tight. It will have to be around or below $2G. Can anyone suggest a good performance combination. (I will get it custom made as I know that pre-built PCs will have some performance issues.)

But these days new laptops MUST meet the performance demands. (Mainly because of Vista.) I can't really distribute games because some of my friends have low-end PCs while only a few have uber PCs.

I wonder how long it will take till FPSC gets to maximum performance. (Lee says he will quickly finish migration then move on to DBP.) I suggest that Lee should put in a visual settings menu if that is possible. It would make FPSC a lot better. People can put their game on low settings for slow computers while the uber gamers can put the settings on high and everyone can play together.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 11:17:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 11:17:53