Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / FREE Orchestral Library

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 00:45
I stumbled upon this while looking for some free instrument samples a while back, and now I thought some of you could use this:

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesoundexchange/make_music/

Just click on sample library to get started! Kinda annoying that you have to download one by one, by I believe they do have violin and tuba packs somewhere on there.

Enjoy!

My signature is empty.
Benji
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 22:00
I guess no body needs these samples?

My signature is empty.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 07:45
I checked it out, but I don't feel like downloading them individually...bad choices on their part...thanks for the link though.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 12:01
I already have most samples I need (including two different sets of tubas )
I don't know about FL Studio, which seems to be what most people use around here, but I would guess that it already comes with most samples people need.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 18:47 Edited at: 6th Sep 2008 18:47
That's cool, I would have been all over these but I bought the Miroslav Vitous library a few years ago...

And yeah, who the hell thought posting each individual sample as a separate download was a good idea? As in each pitch of each instrument as a separate download?!

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Benji
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 23:27
Quote: "And yeah, who the hell thought posting each individual sample as a separate download was a good idea? As in each pitch of each instrument as a separate download?!"

I know, it's crazy.

But they are creating packs of all their instruments, it just takes a LOT of time. Like for the tuba pack they put it into these many different sub-categories:

Long
-Loud
-Medium
-Quiet
Medium
-Loud
-Medium
-Quiet
Short
-Loud
-Medium
-Quiet
Really Short
-Loud
-Medium
-Quiet

That takes work. :p

My signature is empty.
Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 10:10
I didn't really dig the instruments themselves but the phrases section has some useable stuff in it. I'm taking the different articulations and cutting out individual notes and making instruments out of them. Takes alot of time but it sounds pretty good.

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
Areyos Alektor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2008 02:28
Why not use existing libraries? The samples is good if you want to do his own program for a hardware sampler.

In free ago, for example, the Titanic Soundfont. Otherwise you can also get many soundfont here:

http://www.sf2midi.com/soundfonts/

And there:

http://www.hammersound.net/
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2008 15:35 Edited at: 10th Sep 2008 15:38
Yes, but since soundFonts are supposed to be handled by the soundcard, they probably have a rather tight maximum size, and as of thus can't be of as good quality as stand-alone samples and the like.
I don't know just how qualitative the samples on that site is though; couldn't be bothered to browse through them before. I'll go search for a sample...

Edit: not too high quality, and rather short sounds too (I tried the cello).

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2008 15:57
Well, I downloaded their tuba pack and I have to say, apart from it sounding more like an euphonium than a tuba in my ears, that it sounds pretty well.
So for being free, the resource might be very good. It's a shame that they doesn't have everything put together and zipped up like the tuba pack though (maybe they're working on it though).

I attached a small sample of the "tuba" (I still think it sounds like an euphonium - listen to the low registers), playing the national anthem of the land of glory and heroes.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Areyos Alektor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2008 21:02
I agree. But quality comes at a price. The ultimate in sound orchestral type is the Symphonic Library in Vienna:

http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/84/1050.vsl

It's possible to buy instruments separately and in a special edition. In this case the price is reasonable, with the kit Brass base to 95 €.

There is also the home Symphonic Sonivox (formerly Sonic Implant):

http://www.sonivoxmi.com/LayoutPage.asp?pg=Symphonic&mnu=LaySymphonic

Personally I use several hardware expanders and a hardware sampler. I see my own programs from samples. But it requires a lot of time and this is rather complicated to achieve. For a more simple and rapid soundfonts are an interesting solution. With a little effect and drowned with other instruments, the difference is not as blatant and dry as the instrument alone.

And then there is not that SF2. There are also sound banks in a format of E-mu, Kontakt, Akai, etc. ...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:27:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:27:42