Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Videos in DarkGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I realize that you can't put videos in DarkGDK so I thought about doing it this way. I get all the frames of a video. and I load them all. And I make them go through each frame at a certain speed, what ever the frame per second value is. Then I'll just add the sound as an mp3 or whatever. It looks like alot of work but it is the only way possible, correct?
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 09:46
im not sure, but it may be worth looking at some kind of external "importer code" for your app to have its own mini video player built in and able to read whichever format you are planning to use...

RAD GameTools.. using BINK video, is a set of tools designed for integrating videos into games and apps...in an efficent way. Perhaps using something like that is the answer you are looking for...( RAD GameTools is a commercial product i believe( im not sure of how their licensing works), although searching the web you should be able to find open source/free alternatives to integrate various formats of video playback directly into your code)

an average movie runs at around 30ish frames per second( which means that for each second of video playback there are around 30 still frames of images, the exact amount depends on the encoding used for the video, 30 is an average) loading all of those images one by one into GDK, to display as a "flipbook" may be slow and memory hungry and not at all efficient... it may be possible, i just dont know the capabilities of the GDK well enough to say, one way or the other. I would think that you would need to code some form of "streaming" were you to use the GDK natively.. loading a couple of seconds worth of images, while a couple of seconds worth is playing, then deleting images from memory after its played....

If you do happen to find an easy answer for playing back vids in GDK, please let me know, its something that i wouldnt mind knowing myself( having planned to use BINK when and if the need arose ) Lol...

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
RPG
Years of Service
User Offline
You can try using the DirectShow functions to display video on a Direct3D background. Search out DirectShow (VMRMulti)or Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback in your DirectX 9.0 SDK include directory to see how it is implemented. You will find DirectX help file in the documentation folder. You may need a handle for the Direct3D environment parsed from the GDK in order to place the video where you need it, but I'm not sure. I have not looked into it myself yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 05:35:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 05:35:15