Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 2D Zelda

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 06:58 Edited at: 24th Oct 2008 03:02
I've been working on making a Zelda game for the past few weeks. I will update more as I progress. I'll upload the files later when I feel it's time.

So far, I have added some more rooms, a cool menu where you just click the item to switch, and more optimization.

Future Tasks: Sword animations, monsters, AI, add on guys!

Take a look at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=135642&b=22 for a beta of what this would look like.

Added Most recent Build of the Game.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7IBC17ZZ

Gravity Demo with Side Scrolling Camera: (Attached)

Controls for Gravity Demo:
Shift: Run & Higher jump.
Space Bar: Jump

I know that there is a bug where you will get stuck in the ground if you fall fast enough and there is a jitter bug. Both have been fixed in the real game i'm working on. These Zelda graphics are just a test.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 03:03
Very nice. I actually would like to see your source for this, as I tried (and failed) to write a similar game.

Thought I'd let you know about a small bug, though. I know how helpful it is to have others help find bugs.

You can walk through trees if you start at an entrance like the attached image.

Otherwise, wonderful job.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cole Xemi
Years of Service
User Offline
I think thats happening because when I use dbSpriteX/Y, the function returns the value in the top left corner of the sprite. Maybe I should just create 2 points where I check for collision. Would that would fix the bug?
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 15:15
i believe that sprites have their own collision detection you can use... int dbSpriteCollision(sprite, target), whats happening from what i can understand is that you are detecting collision at only 1 point, the origin of the sprite, i think you may need to detect collisions for the entire sprite, not just 1 or 2 points, but the entire bounding box around it

Good luck though on completing this, I was one of those people that spent hours wandering around exploring as little green Link on the NES... would enjoy a good clone

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 21:20
Quote: "i believe that sprites have their own collision detection you can use... int dbSpriteCollision(sprite, target), whats happening from what i can understand is that you are detecting collision at only 1 point, the origin of the sprite, i think you may need to detect collisions for the entire sprite, not just 1 or 2 points, but the entire bounding box around it"

If you download his demo, you'll find that he's using solid images for maps, not tiles.

Quote: "I think thats happening because when I use dbSpriteX/Y, the function returns the value in the top left corner of the sprite. Maybe I should just create 2 points where I check for collision. Would that would fix the bug?"

Yes. Run a collision check for the top-left and the bottom-right.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
Cole Xemi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 01:48 Edited at: 7th Sep 2008 05:42
To access the menu press Enter. In the menu, click a item to equip it.

Little bug, in the menu, There are random characters being displayed. Maybe because of when I was converting srings to a character array. Is this bad? But it does not happen when I debug the program in VS 2008. Why does the program run different on different computers?
Cole Xemi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 02:44 Edited at: 12th Sep 2008 02:44
Changed Camera so now its side scrolling . Just for testing the gravity.
Added Gravity to his jumping and falling. I'll upload the demo when it is ready.

Gravity Class:

Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 01:36
Hey I'm trying to make something like this game because i'm new to DarkGdk and I wanted to do something fun. But first let me just say that you have done a really good job on making this game! Keep up the good work because this looks awesome! I just have two questions. The first one is: How do you resize the window without resizing the sprite and images? I tried to load in a 480x480 bitmap and a black bar showed up on the right side of the screen, so I resized the window and the picture was scaled down. Second question: How do you get the sprite to move left and right? I tried to do that but I found out that dbMoveSprite only moves it up and down. So how did you do that?
Cole Xemi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 03:26 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2008 05:01
What I did was set the window size to 480 by 540. Then load in the map, which was 480 by 480.

About moving sprites left and right, look at dbSprite().

Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2008 03:45
So you loaded the image as a sprite? How would you use the collision detection with only the green boxes and how do you make the link sprite overlap the image sprite?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:16:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:16:20