Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Cel Shading

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is Cel Shading possible in DarkGDK, if so, can someone point me into the right direction please. Or is there something I have to do with shaders? Also, might there be a good game engine out there that supports cel shading. Thank you.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 03:41
One rather clever method is just to take the object and scale it backwards, like -105%, and colour it black. That makes a really nice cel-shading effect.

Scope 51791
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 04:39 Edited at: 4th Sep 2008 04:41
well, I am really not looking just for the outlines. I am looking for the cartoon feel itself and the shadows etc... Something like this:

http://giblar.com/games/click/link%20windwaker.JPG
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 19:46
I think there is a toon shader(cel shader) fx shader in the Ultimate Shader Pack that you can grab from a link somewhere in these forums(just search for it) -- should give you something similar to what you are looking for, just might need to do a bit of reading on pix and vert shaders and how they work etc to be able to use it effectively... a good starting point for using shaders in a basic way would be the DarkGDK samples... i think there is a couple of em that use shaders, one specifically demonstrating them....(also DarkShader is a good tool if ur not 100% sure on shaders, has a kind of visual shader design interface which makes it easy to design shaders that look how u want without having to know the shader language back to front...)

Scaling an object so far back is something ive not done in GDK before... Does it result in the object becoming turned inside out, kinda(my 3D modeller turns objects inside out when ya scale em too far -- inverts it sorta, the object ends up mirrored left/right)like, changing the way you need to reference its positions/axis in relation to its limbs(right becomes left etc) ? it wouldnt be too big of a deal either way im just curious... but it would certainly look unique

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 19:53
The resulting model should be 5% bigger than the original and the faces behind the original model will be displayed instead of the ones in front of the original model. Kinda complicated, but it creates a simple outline without shaders. I believe Okami uses a similar effect.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:27:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:27:10