Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / C++ Builder and DarkGDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
for some reason, once i including DarkGDK.h, it compiles, and finds 53 errors for me.. most of the errors are because of that d3dx9math.inl file.. it looks like it doesnt understand the code of that file.. anyone got idea why its not working?

maybe i need to setup the C++ Builder to work with DarkGDK or something?

Get DBP stuff here! - (plugins/models/scripts and more!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 16:44
Maybe you ought to bite the bullet and install/use Visual C++?

Even if you do manage to get the code to compile, you'll then have problems getting it to link (I believe that Borland still uses a different lib format to MS). Even if you get it to link, neither we or TGC will be able to help you debug because you'll be using compiler that none of the rest of us use.

If you are just using C++ builder because you don't like the VC++ IDE, then pick another IDE to use instead.

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 12:39
I believe that the libraries that we link to in the DarkGDK from Visual C++ were compiled with Visual C++ 2008, you could probably install Visual C++ Express 2008, and just use it's compiler and linker from inside the builder IDE( if its possible i dont know really, but you would need to intamately know the command line useage of the compiler and linker for msvc++ )

I come from using an old Borland Turbo C++ compiler and IDE years ago( bak in the DOS days before there was a clear "standard" ), to switching to MS Visual Studio's C++ IDE few years ago now when i came back to C++ programming. At first I really had trouble picking it up, initially there is a fairly steep learning curve, just to be able to use the IDE, i mean finding where all the options are to be able to setup your linker and compiler and just being able to navigate with it efficiently..it took me a while to know my way around it anyway, I think its a good IDE setup, especially when you do learn all the time saving features, like intellisense for one, so far I havent had any problems I cant solve with it, and the plus side is that its Free and doesnt really lack any features that you would use from a point of view of writing code for the GDK.. ie. you dont "need" the microsoft foundation class libraries, you dont "need" a built in resource file editor, you can download freeware ones around the web, and there are other libraries you can use to work with windows etc...

Maybe you could learn the Visual c++ IDE and the specific nuances of its language compared to the borland one, just to write GDK stuff, and continue to use your borland one for all the GDK independant stuff you do.
An advantage of that would be that you would be able to use either environment effeciently from an employment point of view, ya never know if a team you start work for will have a preference for a specific development environment over another, would be good to be able to use both of the "big ones", Borland and Microsoft..

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 22:19
Quote: "At first I really had trouble picking it up, initially there is a fairly steep learning curve, just to be able to use the IDE, i mean finding where all the options are to be able to setup your linker and compiler and just being able to navigate with it efficiently..it took me a while to know my way around it anyway"

Maybe it's because I've not used Borland, but I had no trouble figuring out the IDE. I loved how simple it was to use.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 23:28
Visual C++'s IDE is sexy.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 03:04
Agreed. It's clean, easy to use, nice looking, and efficient (productivity-wise and in performance).

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 05:29:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 05:29:37