Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / What exactly is accelerated on the GPU?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 16:47
Gi,

Are softbodies and particles accelerated on the GPU? On the squashy nvidia logo demo, I get the same low framerate in both hardware and software mode. Drops to low teens on a quad core and 2x8800u;tras in sli.

MetalMackey
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 20:48 Edited at: 6th Sep 2008 20:50
@ Jase: Lee told that mostly fluids and soft-bodies will be accelerated by hardware!

I would say the features get accelerated in this order:
- fluids
- soft-bodies
- cloth
- rigid-bodies / particles (particles are handled like rigid-bodies as Mike told me)

When I ran my demo and the old AGEIA-SDK-C++-demos in Hardware- and Software-Mode, I only saw a difference in the CPU-load in the Taskmanager, NOT in the FPS!

So you may only see a change in the load from CPU to GPU! (-> CPU has less to do than in Software-Mode!)

I hope this answered your questions! (This are only my experiences with DP!)

Hoozer

AMD64X24800+(939);2GB;GF6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.4):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=109846&b=5&p=0
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 00:15
Everything gets offloaded to the GPU. The Physics simulation runs in parallel on the GPU, and you grab the data on each update.

Are you using the PHY UPDATE 0 / PHY UPDATE 1 method?

Like Hoozer says, the FPS may simply be the maximum you'll get. However, you'll be able to do a whole lot more in your program with no drop in frame rate.

Jase
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 02:11
I tried the flowing fluid demo just now on high. CPU dropped to 5fps and lower if I add more spheres. GPU is 36fps and gets higher the more spheres are added LOL.

I tried the 0/1 meathod on the softbodies demo, crashed in hardware mode and was the same fps as normal way in software.

MetalMackey
Areyos Alektor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 21:00
You can put the code that you use?

In fact the use of parallelism and the acceleration of physics as stated BatVink means that you can do more without losing too many frame. But more must be understood by putting more elements to manage. For example, in the same scene there may be several fluid emitter, soft and hard body. It must not hesitate to mix hardware, software and shaders.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 17:40:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 17:40:33