Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Does FPS creator allow you to use sprites for enemies?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, i'm quite interested in buying FPS creator but i've been wondering about whether it allows you to make more retro fps's, or if you're forced to use 3d models for everything?

What i mean is can you make a fps like Doom/Wolfenstein/Heretic? Where you use sprites for monsters/weapons/pickups/trees etc? I'd love to mess around with something like that, and i've been wondering how versatile the engine itself is in regards to that. If anyone can answer my question i'd be very grateful.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 11:02
Yeh, you need 3D models mate.....

I guess, you could make a workaround and it would probably work, but I haven't tried it yet, so I dunno....

Tapey
Years of Service
User Offline
It's never been attempted before then? I have zero idea how to make 3d models but i know it's really complicated. Sprites though i can crank out all day long, and reading around the forums it seems the engine doesn't perform well if you have too much happening onscreen, although i imagine if using sprites you could have a lot going on before any slowdown was experienced.

Do you think it would be hard to get sprites working as enemies and items? Or would it be too difficult for someone unfamiliar with coding?
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 07:30
you could make models in wings 3d, easy as pie!

and for the whole slowdown thing wouldnt a mod fix that? i can have huse battle scenes without the whole slowdown, and by huse i mean 12 people

Survival!
Tapey
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the Wings 3d recommendation i'll check it out. I've already ordered FPSC X10 anyways.

By huge battlescenes though i was thinking more along the lines of Serious Sam/Skulltag Invasion levels of huge, where there's hundreds of enemies running around Probably not possible really but i do like as much carnage and explosions as possible!
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 00:09
Quote: "where there's hundreds of enemies running around"

Not going to happen.

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2008 20:17
If you want sprite style enemies, you could just texture a flat plain with some transparency. It'd work but you wouldn't be able to animate them, FPSC doesn't support animated textures.

Number wise, ever with only a flat plain as the enemy model you will still only manage up to 20 enemies without slowdown. It's not really the model detail, but the commands for the AI which kill the frame rate.

Paul
Little Bill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 09:31
Try using a cel-shader. It might be a bit hard finding one that works with FPSC but it will give that effect.

Win XP - 2GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 16:21
There was a game on FPSC its called Pencill whipped...or sketch something..
It looked pretty weird, but had a nice style.

Anyway the creator created 2d enemies, dont know how though.
You should email the creator.

xsygx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 17:28
You could get that classic Doom effect by using the FPS tutorial on YoYo Game's GameMaker site. Just import your images and you're done making the enemy. Personally, I distaste that style but whatever floats your boat.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 19:38
pencil whipped, he did it by adding bones to a plane, I have a tutorial some place from him.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 11:24:25
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 11:24:25