Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Vegetator Professional Version 1.04 Releasing!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 10:14 Edited at: 15th Sep 2008 06:50
Read this post I made below:

"Just thought I'd warn you. On the trees, I used [b]set object texture
to remove the mipmapping on the trees in the distance, so they look fuller and denser. This will cut the framerate back a bit, so if you don't want it, go to the init_system label and scroll down to the part where it loads the trees and remove those commands. "[/b]

I'm just about finished wrapping this up and putting it into an installer for all you supporters. :0 I'm rather embarrased about the bug I found, where the program would pretty much slow down to a stop sometimes when selecting plants on a 3D map model, vs. on advanced terrain where it worked perfectly (I had neglected to test the 3D map model mode enough). I think I may have fixed another bug as well.

I'll let you know as soon as it's available! Just send in an email to support (at) epsilonzero (dot) com and we'll send you the update! You can send it now if you want and when it's done we'll send it to you automatically.

For now, here's a shot of what it's looking like currently, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Vegetator Professional is a vegetation creating progam with a high performace hiding and showing system. It works on both advanced terrains and .x and .3ds maps:

And a video of the program in action (sorry that FRAPS makes the frames per second lower)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEeoCK55kTc

For more information, please visit [href]www.epsilonzero.com[/href].

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 12:15
interesting It creates own trees and bushes, or Its moddeled by other 3d editor ?

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 21:27 Edited at: 8th Sep 2008 22:44
I made these models in Tree Magik and Plant Life (don't worry, I worked it out with TGC).

You can place plants of many varities in each of these categories:

-Trees
-Grass
-Bushes
-Weeds
-Flowers
-Ferns

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 22:11
Uncle Sam : I have both programs (plant life, tree magik).

I have small problem with trees, perhaps, You have seen that problem too. If you are near tree, leafs and branches are nice, but, when you are looking on the tree from bigger distance, leafs are disappearing, and you see only branches. Where is a problem ? because, when I add this tree into TED (Terrain editor by Dan d-grafix). when I am looking on that tree, I see everything right. I am lazy to make screenshots, so I hope, that you understand, what I am talking about

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 22:43 Edited at: 8th Sep 2008 22:44
I do.

This is because the texture is higher resolution (I think). In Vegetator Professional the trees automatically switch to a lower poly version that fixes this problem. The leaves may still disappear right before it changes, but it's not impossible to set the view range for the high resolution cut-off point (that is, the point where it switches to low resolution and low poly). The two trees in the back are low poly and low resolution, and the one up close is high quality:

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 22:59 Edited at: 8th Sep 2008 23:01
Quote: "This is because the texture is higher resolution (I think)."

I would like to ged rid of that .. This is only in DB pro.... in other editors, tree is fine and there isnt LOD.

EDIT: just imagine, how wire fence looklike from bigger distance .. horrible..... I think, its a bug

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 23:44
Yeah, it might be a mipmapping bug. Try using different values in set object texture.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 00:09 Edited at: 9th Sep 2008 00:09
Uncle Sam: SET OBJECT TEXTURE 1,0,0 works try it !

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 03:57
Wow it works! I'll still keep the low poly stuff in of course, because it runs smoother.

I added soft vegetation to the VP editor (and you can turn it on in the exported code too)! The trees now look better too:

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 09:20
Now, Try add dynamic shadows to trees and plants, and it will looklike Crysis

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 11:05
It would, but it'd be hard!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 23:29
@ Uncle Sam,

Looks v good. Is it effectively an editor allowing you to place veg and trees and then export? / import?

Will there be a dll etc?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2008 01:06 Edited at: 10th Sep 2008 01:08
Thank you Duffer.

It actually doesn't use a DLL, which has it's advantages and disadvangtages. The VP engine code is in a source file (not the main project file), so you don't even have to see it. The advantages are:

-You can change stuff, like edit the plant object properties and stuff.
-You can alter the system (not recommended!).

Disadvantage:

-Not as clean as it could be.

If you want to change something, you can navigate to the init_system label (contains the creation code for the vegetation and terrain). I know the code looks kind of long and repetitive if you look at it (I regret coding it that way when I made VP, because my coding habits were very bad then), but it runs great and you never even have to look at it if you don't want to as it's locked away in a sub source file accessed by the main project file. If you want to access your terrain object, it's stored in a constant named LANDSCAPE.

Yes, you place, scale, and rotate plants using the easy to use tools, like the simple place tool, the drag tool, or the field tool (which lets you fill in a LARGE area). The editor, when you click export, will copy a sample project file, which works perfectly and can build your game on, to the exports folder. All the media is there in a media folder too, and it also copies the terrain files and map.txt, which contains the vegetation info. I hope to make it easier to change options in the future like where the map file is located in the directory so that users have even more functionality. Right now you can change variables at the top of the main project file to adjust wind speed, vegetation view distance, terrain scale (based on what you set it to in the VP edtior, which is important so it matches), and a boolean called SoftOn which lets you turn soft vegetation off and on easily!

I'm open to any suggestions. This is only v1.04, still very powerful and useful, but it can only get better and better from here.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2008 22:02
The soft vegetation looks a lot better. Nice update.

Thanks
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 02:11
You're welcome.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's up and available now, so just email to support@epsilonzero.com to request it if you own a copy of the program.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 11:35 Edited at: 15th Sep 2008 06:50
Just thought I'd warn you. On the trees, I used set object texture to remove the mipmapping on the trees in the distance, so they look fuller and denser. This will cut the framerate back a bit, so if you don't want it, go to the init_system label and scroll down to the part where it loads the trees and remove those commands.

Game Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW!

YOU made this with DarkBASIC?

WOW. Thats awesome.

All I have to say is you did a 100% AWESOME JOB!

Keep it up!

Yours Truly, Game Guy
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 04:10 Edited at: 9th Nov 2008 04:10
DarthBasicVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 14:41
Ok impressive, most impressive But it works seamlessy with fps creator? Or at least could you tell me how many steps it takes to export to fps creator ? Tx !!!
Great work!!!

Riccardo
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 09:36 Edited at: 17th Nov 2008 09:37
Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks Game Guy.

The program only exports to Dark Basic Professional I'm afraid, sorry.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 02:57
That last screenshot looks very awesome!

Two questions:

1. Can you add your own models to the current stuff you already have
on there?

2. Where could I get this?

Talak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 21:36
You can get it at:
http://www.epsilonzero.com/

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 09:01
Thanks for helping him Talak.

Inspire, it should work just fine (not in the trial version as it automaticaly un-encodes the models, because they are encoded in the trial version). The thing is, I haven't added that feature within the program itself, but you could just as easily replace one of the plant models in one of the sub-folders (make sure you back it up first!). Just put your model into one of the folders in the media folder, like media\vegetations\bush1, or whatever you want. Make sure you name the model the same (same file extension too), and also that the textures apply to your model automatically.

What you could also do if you don't have the .x version of your model and are not able to convert it, is use one of my models in Vegetator Professional, and then export the project and open up the DBP file and change the file name to your model.

I hope that doesn't sound confusing. Please feel free to ask more questions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 02:10:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 02:10:07