Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK will not work...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 19:03
I have Visual C++ 2008 express, I have ran the compiler before, and I have installed SDK 2008 August and SDK 2007 August not knowing if I needed the 2008 one. I can make a new game using dark gdk in visual C++ using the wizards, but THEY WILL NOT OPEN. Whenever i try to open one in visual c++ 2008, nothing happens. The start page still shows. But when i open one of my other programs, they open right up. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Also, I have windows vista home premium 32 bit.
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 23:55 Edited at: 13th Sep 2008 23:57
Well, check if the 'Solution Explorer' is shown or not! if it is not then open the View menu and choose 'Solution Explorer' from there! and open/double-click your main.cpp or whatever it is!
(that's all I can guess from what you said/wrote earlier!)

Hope this helps!
-Try
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 12:31
As above, make sure the solution explorer is showing, then you need to double click on the file name to open it in the code window..

By default MSVC I believe, save the last known state of which windows were open and which were closed in it IDE when it saves out solitions and projects etc... so when they are re-opened, the same windows that were last open will be re-opened, this is so that as a programmer working on possibly hundreds of files, productivity is increased if you dont need to spend 5 mins sorting through project folders etc to open the ones you are currently working on when you first sit down, so MSVC's IDE takes care of that for you..

I do think that by default aswell, when you create a new DarkGDK project using the wizards, it should be opening its main program file for you, if its not then maybe your options have it set not too(goto Tools->Options and have a look for the settings).

If you create the project using the wizards, and it wont compile/run, then I would suggest Un-installing the GDK, un-installing and re-installing the August 2007 directX SDK(one you need for GDK) and then re-installing the DarkGDK last of all(when installing them, try to let it put them in the default location, visual studio included), if you still cant compile projects after that, it means that something isnt in its default place and hasnt been setup by the installer, so you will need to setup your Visual Studio project settings to point to the place where DarkGDK was installed and its libraries and headers manually.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 20:10
Yep it was the solution explorer. I was messing around yesterday and made it come up because I didn't know what it was. Then I used the wizard and main.cpp came up in solution explorer and I double clicked it and BAM! I could see coding. Then all of the links worked.
And I have no problem with compiling, but thanks for the info even though I have included all libraries and stuff. Thanks for your help! I love Dark Gdk!
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 09:26
Im glad you got it sorted.

/agreed - DarkGDK is definately a great tool.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:13:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:13:07