Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / OLD DOOM IS BACK (check this out if u like Doom)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 11:07
U wont believe what I've found...I have winXP only in my system, and games that I loved as Doom ( my favorite ) have been forgotten. Today I saw on the internet some enhamcements for old Doom series, which add things as software redering, OpenGL and many other adds as cross, mouse look, jump, shadown and refletion to the old Doom.....
I download and it was like to cry playing my old game much more improved...check this out and save this link...
If u r a old gamers as I am, u probaly will do it

http://www.doomcenter.com/oldschool/makeitrock.phtml
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 11:27
Indeed it has many, many bugs, but the project is a very good idea, so give it a time and chance

-Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 11:44
Some Links: the best one, in my opinion is Doom Legacy. Though, the mouse looks and mouse move ain't so fast as the other ones... Really, I fell like playing Quake in Doom...

Doom Legacy
http://legacy.newdoom.com/

Doom Edge
http://edge.sourceforge.net/

That's it, the rest is up to u to try, but try Forever Doom

-Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 11:51
if i were you i'd checkout something called jDoom
i did mention it a good while ago on the RGT forums, but it truely made Zdoom and DoomGL look like mere childsplay - as it took the BSP and made FULL Quake style atmosphere.

http://jdoom.newdoom.com/

check it out

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 12:14
I checked bub.... I never have seem such a good job. jDoom is far the BEST one I've tested here. The lights moving with enemies shots remember me Quake with OpenGL.
I think I will start a Doom clan with deticaded server or something Thanks a lot Vegeta.
If someone knows more things like this please put in here

-Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 13:11
don't think it ends there... be sure to checkout the models page as my mate Cheb has been making pretty nice models and animation for this Adapt for almost 2years

also checkout the links as they have the FULL source to the engine there somewhere in MSVC++ 6.0 format and trust me it is a far easier read dispite the language barrier than IDs original code - hahaa

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 14:35
wow...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 19:46
theres a quake 2 game in a website window using a
director 8.5 shockwave shell also

indi is part of Team Lunarpixel
multimedia logisitics and interactive media
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2002 03:20
I got the models u told my friend, awesome stuff. Lights, nicer graphics, new playability and possibilites of download and use mp3. And the best is, it's still the same Doom on it's heart. Thanks a lot u all for tips. I will try urs later indi. yeah, I will make a Doom clan with deticated server

-Rogue
SpellSword
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2002 04:18
*Grabs his pump shot-gun and body armor while yelling,
"I AM INVINCIBLE!" the imp snarls back in response and
decides its time to up its kill count."

Doom! I love that game (And of course Doom 2 as well)
Strafe, Fire, Fire, Fire, Fire, run, run, run, RUN!
The shot-gun in doom (Not the double barrel one) is
flawless! It moves perfectly, the reload time is decent
and it does a satisfing amount of damage.

------------------------------------------
When I dream, I carry a sword in one hand,
and a gun in the other...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2002 05:55
Anyone used the BFG or Rocket Launchers yet ... i swear truely amazing effects were cooked up for them
plus networking now is just like Quake so nice 'n' easi - plus not to demanding even a 56k person can host a deathmatch

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2002 14:19
yeah, I still did not play online But if it's like Quake no lag anymore as the new games hopefully.

Yeah, the shotgun is far my favorite gun, very effective. I still did not try the BFG But I wonder how it can be the rocket launcher works GREAT with some particle engines , the high quality music is very sweet too It's a new Doom Now I just need to find some high quality textures for it and there I go

As SpellSword said:

"Strafe, Fire, Fire, Fire, Fire, run, run, run, RUN!"

That's all I need gheheh

-Rogue
SpellSword
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2002 22:24
Heretic!!! IT works with HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmm, what word would best discribe this?

!!!!SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

Doom and Heretic (and Hexen) Enhanced! This is beyond
perfect!

*Dances around for countless hours in a state of pure joy*

------------------------------------------
When I dream, I carry a sword in one hand,
and a gun in the other...
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2002 01:15
yeah I finnaly got the mp3's ( not mp3's but something like that For Heretic and Doom. Those games with openGL, md2 models and Mouse Look + Jump RULZZZZZZ....
What genius have think about something like this

I've just found out, u can get textures also in the

[url]www.fileplanet.com[/url]

I know many of u hate file planet, but these games ARE worthy. Take a look in those shots if u still did not get those babes:

DOOM:
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/screenshots.php?game=jdoom&index=1

HERETIC
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/screenshots.php?game=jheretic&index=1

HEXEN
[url]
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/screenshots.php?game=jhexen&index=1[/url]

I ´haven't tried with Heretic and Hexen yet, I decided to finish all Doom episodes first Like in the old times, with the new times tech

-Rogue
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2002 05:30
arg... I had to get the demo of Doom to get it too work (needed the WAD file)... oh well, I found it on iD's FTP site.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2002 06:11
lol yeah well legally they can't release it with a FULL game, otherwise id would sue 'em

Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Doom2, Ultimate Doom (both editions) and there are currently plans for Wolfenstein as well

The whole rig is super quality though, pitty that when you fire the rocket launcher everything slows down for a second (even my Quattro doens't like that much Fog Particles) ... anyone who doesn't have any of the Dooms though, you can actually buy it still from id software direct - think the Legacy pack is $15

be interesting to see a Mod made for this - man i wish i could remember the addy of the Doom center, because everyone has to try some of the Mods on there like DBZ and such

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2002 12:50
This is the kind of game that I should proudly buy. I still have my Doom 1 in disks . I think ID software could give an incentive to this finish guy who did this great job with Doom and the other games. Like re-publish Doom with his engine and share profits. I know they wont do it, but if they do, should incentive MANY other peoples that are talented and unkwnow in the gamedev world. I should be one of the guys buying the game. Wonder a manual and Doom in CD, would be in the first place in my game collection lol

Yeah, I've tried the DBZ mod. I used to play with a friend on the net using mic, it's a great mod and AWESOME models
Is the Bid for Power? Quake 3 Mod that u meant Vegeta? If so, the link is here:

http://www.bidforpower.com

Great game with it's huge Kame Hame Hah ( or something like that )
P.S: they have a bad server, the link may not be online all the time

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2002 12:58
Arghhhhh, I cannot download the high quality textures for Doom Does anyone know where we can get it? ( Probaly u know Vegeta, ghehe )
Thanks

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 04:48
well if you look down the side of the JDoom page there are a bunch of plugins ... i don't have the highres texture set because its about 130Mb i think, and i ain't doing that on my 56k

the DBZ mod i was on about was the one for Doom, it was pretty funny
I loved Destruto Disc for the BFG...
Though i have BFP as well, love that game - ya know there is a guy in the credit of that ShadowRobert i think his name is - great modeller that guy

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 16:25
Forget THAT! Doom 3 is coming!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 17:26
only for people who can run it
i can see so many people running out to buy it just to get it home and call up the technical support ...
"why doesn't it work? "
tech guy will be like, "cause you need the Kray to run the bloody thing "

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 02:00
I know All these damn new games need bloody powerful machines... SquareSoft is teaming up with Dell or someone like that to make a computer thats good enough to run their game... then id still has no idea what the minimum specs will be... better get to work and earn some cash :S

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 04:41
yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm doom.... i got a bloddy powerful machine... im not gonna complain heh :s

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 06:01
aw... my machine is no competion against yours
Except that we have the same amount of RAM...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 06:16
you will have one some day *pats you on the back*... oh yes i just ordered a zaurus... NOW I CAN PROGRAM BETWEEN CLASSES AT SCHOOL... besides my c++ class... =\ its strange... im on packet 20 everyone else is on packet 4-10.. only thing holden me back is there damned work... i took a class in a language i already knew... -_- that was stupid

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 07:27
It kinda makes you wonder... some kids appear to have way more money than sense, oh well that aside.

Current Min specs i've heard for Doom3 are
Pentium4 1.5Ghz / AMD AlthonXP 1.33Ghz
128Mb Ram
16bit Stereo Sound Card
Broadband (128kb+) Network Connection (possible on 56k thou)
Quad Speed DvD-Rom (or Quad Speed Cd-Rom for CD version)
SVGA monitor capable of 640x480x32bpp @ 60hz
OpenGL 1.4.3 Compatible Card (known problems w/GeForce4mx)
Win98/XP/2K

oki to some that might not seem like much, but considering the cards that can actually run under OpenGL 1.4.3 are oftenly $250+ ... and there isnt a wide spread of them, then i'm not so confident that its gonna do well.
Especially as most people with GeForce4 cards, arn't actually using Ti (for example to one above is an Mx as Ti version numbers start with a 6xx) and althought the Mx do have most of what the Ti versions do, there are a few features there arn't there and the speed is cosiderablly slower!
With for Doom3 isn't good becuase it means it must rely on the actual processor more, which will slug everything

really the whole setup for Doom3 has been a mess from the start - especially with half the team being unwilling to work on it.
And to be honest, its nice - but without Steed there, i dunno to me just doesn't seem the same.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 07:33
=D not so much sense as money your right... i took it as a refresher... i didnt remember what was in math.h or iomanip.h... one of the first things you learn... it was a good idea =P... my processor is at 3 ghz right now with a liquid cooled case... im fine... =P... unless i leak to much fluid... then i burn out.. oh well... =\ O_O i like my ti4200... and once i get a liquid attachment and another pump for it and my ram those will be overclocked too =\... just make sure you can cool everything enough... and you have a good radiator... or else it clobberin time for your internal structure

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 09:05
lol... all that for just 3Ghz
have a system with Dual Optiron 2.66Ghz - individually i guess not quite as powerful as something that overclocked (however atleast my processors are gonna last more then 2years )

however put them together mwhahahaa... the power the power - 256 operations a cycle with 8cycles per bus cycle, and 1024kb onchip cache + a 1024kb onboard cache - running along side a 330Mhz bus.
enough to make even the most overclocked CPUs cry

though can still only use one for most games, which is a shame - but still speed wise, AlthonXP - 64bit Core w/128Bit Processor Extensions
Optiron - Native 256Bit processor ... hehee

and ya know even with all that... certain things still seem to take forever lol

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 09:16
... yummy... i plan on upgrading soon... dual amd athlon mp 3 ghz processors... with 4 gigs of ram (DDR STYLE)... and a 60 inch plasma screen.... a guy can dream... and of course lcd freon temp display and neon lights that blink

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 23:52
apperantly, the E3 demo of Doom 3 got leaked by a company (possibly ATI) and a whole bunch of people played it, and there are a ton of new screenshots etc. Pity I couldn't find it, if anyone does, pass me a link?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 03:10
damn i was lookin for one too

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 03:37
U mean Doom 3 Demo? U can easily get it with some sharing programs... I'm trying for a whole week with eDonkey The file size is about 400 megas ( I wonder how the full game gonna be ).

-- Rogue
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 04:00
meh, nothing on Kazaa, I know it's a crap proggy, but I'm too lazy to get anything else.
Anyway, games are getting to be pretty DAMN big, I heard UT2003 is a few gigs...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 09:13
Doom3 hasn't been leaked, atleast not a version anywhere CLOSE to what is currently final dev, not sure how weel you guys know John, but he has a habit of if he doesn't like something scrapping it and starting from fresh - doom3 is currently on its 5th engine this year

getting ahold of the pre-release never show what the games are truely capable of, but then again anyone who actually went to E3 would know that the demo there was just 3 runtimes/rolling
(i mean atleast we had Generals on display to play )

UT2K3 isn't a few gigs ... its a single 730Mb CD
And there are NO copies of the original Unreal2 engine even in Tech state out, so any files even named that they're not real.
But then most Kazaa and eDonkey users should be used to that by now - personally love doing that, getting a demo of something and not making it as a Demo or marking it as TombRaider - Angel of Darkness ... Mwhahaa teach the gullibal fools eh

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 09:44
=D ... i know... i downloaded a file named unrealtourny2003... ended up being max payne... i almost cried... oh wait i got it in less than 5 minutes >=) yes 2.5 megabytes per second... yesssss

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 11:13
lol... i did that with the Max Payne demo, deleted almost all the sound - but added alot of useless junk to make up space and renamed it C&CRenegade.exe Mwhwhahaaaa

kinda like an odd, anti-pirater's revenge

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 14:04
Raven Vegeta said:

"UT2K3 isn't a few gigs ... its a single 730Mb CD"

I have UT2003, they are actually 3CD's and the installation is over 2.5 Gigas :S

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 14:13
Yeah, Unreal Tournament is to download a long time ago on the net. Go to
[url]www.sharereactor.com[/url]
Make a search for Unreal and get the 2003 retail

Kazaa sucks, peoples rename everything there, even songs and pictures... And just between u and I, some games does not deserve to be bought Unreal does, it's great to see the old guns with new looking

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 15:28
here, something for u guys...notice that I'm on a Killing Spree...ghehehe

http://www.geocities.com/roguegamedev/ut2k3.JPG

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 16:10
i have the DvD copy of it, 721mb in total ... there is alot of upgrade crap - like additional levels and such, however the actual games normal install does pan out to about 1.5gb ...
can't say i actually liked it much - too much like Unreal Tournament and i didn't think much of that either

you know Unreal2 Beta is going to begin soon, which is gonna be cool. You compare UT2K3 to Unreal2 you immediatly notice the engine cuts made by Epic, kinda sickening - fantastic when your in the buggy and your like doin' 50mph over a hill and just hit guys - hahaa you hit someone the physics engine takes over and next thing you know you're 20meters from where you hit the guy and the buggy explode taking out a bridge

... wasn't so funny when those damn'd UASC started to airstrike the area, i swear i ran for like 20mins to get back to the "Infinity" made it even with a broken leg, which i was surprised about.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 16:19
Very weird versions of UT we both have in Mine the Last CD (the third one) is basically of upgrades for Graphic Cards and DirectX ( it added many dll's to my 8.1 ). I also agree it's too much like Unreal, actually, it's the same exactly the same game Even most of the weapons are the same ( Who does not know the weapon I'm using the the snap above, which is also my favorite ) But I love Unreal, I can never say I did not like this one ... Now is just sit back, take a coke and go for multiplayers with my friends and wait some months for some good mods for it

Oh yeah, have anyone tried Battle Field 1942? Great game and nice playability as taking tanks and other cool stuff, it's a way to go for fps. It just complains a lot about Ram, so beware

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 16:44
yeah... i like that game alot - its no MOHAA
that game is fantastic on the Playstation and just as fantastic on the PC
But BF1942 reminded me alot of Hidden&Dangerous, i mean obviously updated alot - but alot of the same sorta bugs, like getting jeeps stuck in rocks you drove at too fast hahaa

i've still to play H&D2 it suppose to be pretty outstanding, but just as tactical based as the original - which would explain no alot of hype cause there arn't that many lovers of actual tactical games
thank god the clan i'm in -[SCC]- are all fanatics about tactical combat ... pretty quality little squad we have.

Tell ya what, when i finally get a Broadband connection - damn'd i'm gonna be lookin for a good world place again...
was 3rd in the UKL at Quake for almost a year, think i ranked 11th world wide might have been 15th i can't remember one of my friends also ranked one of them - lol

that'd be interesting to find out - we should make a leauge up here, DBL with that Quake3 Clone being made.
i miss having a goal to work towards online, ladders and clans just arn't the same as the Personal Leagues are they?

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 22:40
Doom3 was leaked, but it wasn't playable, it's like a real-time movie they were showing at e3.
John Carmack is pretty pissed about it...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 00:09
lol ... the worst thing about leaks at a company like that is it IS one of the 16peeps there, as no one else gets access. So if there was a proper leak, there arn't many culprets

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 00:29
naw, it wasn't id that leaked it. John Carmack said in his press statement that it was another company, but wouldn't say which. Speculation is that ATI accidentally let it loose

It's non-playable though. It's like a real-time movie as I said before. So I do see y theyre so pissed...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 01:44
LOL, piracy is something really, really impressive. Not only with games. I've downloaded The Lord of The Rings from the net with two CD's. The quality was the same as in a DVD. In the movie, sometimes it appeared a text message saying that copy is not for release, and to contact the police imediatly. I think that was an internal copy of the company that someone stealed from there inside and put on the net. And the most funny is... I've watched some days BEFORE the international release. Today, indeed I have the DVD and, with exception of the sound, that copy from the net has MUCH better image quality ( yeah, it's hard to believe but it does ). It was funny to make my friends jealous. The same later was repeated with StarWars E2 and Spiderman, but with poor quality.

I saw that movie from E3 too
Raven Vegeta, u should also check this out a mod for Half-Life called day of defeat. It's pretty much Battle Field and Allied Assault atmosphere, but the coolest is if u choose to play with the Axis, they speak german instead

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 03:10
lol... i actually converted that totally to a VRML 2.0 version back on beta 1.3
modem recently with the Half-Life updates have made it unplayable unfortunately, especially as almost everyone who plays it now are one high speed broadband... like ping 60 with me at 320 - not even a match at that ping

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 03:12
oh an i have 3 seperate runtime movies of Doom3
2 are nVidia (one is from E3 London) and the other is an export version, i just love the new /startrec mov command records everything until you stop as a Quicktime 5 Movie at quad res

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 05:05
ya, Day of Defeat is cool

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:24:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:24:03