Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK - C# question.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Afternoon all,

I have have been using DarkGDK for 2008, and it works brilliantly.
I am old friends with C++ so it's more natural for me than darkbasic (which I also own), but I would really like to try the DarkGDK with C#.

I have used C# for quite some time now and have become to love it. I love the way I can just get things done with C# when C++ used to take so much longer.

I also fully understand all the differences and the reasons why C++ is the more ideal language to use for game development.

However, I have seen posts where people have had DarkGDK working with C# (or have at least mentioned that it can be used).. these posts were from 2006/2007 and I have no idea how relevent they are now.

So my question is, can DarkGDK be used with C# and if so how?

I have performed a light search of the forums here, and found very little to confirm a definate positive for my question.

Any advice is appreciated.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2008 18:21
Hi TenaC,

There's a .net version, called DarkGDK.NET. It's possible to use it with any .NET Language, including C# (which is the language I use).

Until last year, it was available for anyone to buy, just like DarkGDK (C++), but with the agreement Microsoft and The Game Creators made, it is now free for non-commercial use and paid for commercial use.

DarkGDK.NET is going to be re-released this way on the next couple of weeks maximum (I think so). I'm actually working closely with APEXnow (the person who did the .NET version) to get it released as soon as possible. I'm also working on plugins to extend its functionalities.

What I can say for now is that using the .NET version with C# is... PERFECT! And also, it does come with Full OOP support out-of-the-box so you don't have to mess with all those IDs.

Stay tuned! Ps: Sorry for the long post

Thiago
TenaC
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that info, much appreciated.

I think as far as long posts go that wsn't that bad at all, well worth the read.

I'll watch this space for the new release then, can't wait to get my hands dirty in DarkDGK.Net and C#, what a grand thought!

Although in my mid 30's and having been in software development for a while I decided to go back to Uni and gain a BSc in the area of Games Development.. I was going to use DarkGDK as my main tool, but I'm thinking I'll wait for this new version of DarkGDK.Net.. this will add something new to my project.

Do you really estimate 2 weeks maximum? Is this an Optimistic, Most Likely or Pesimistic estimate?

Got my taste buds going now...
TenaC
Years of Service
User Offline
I have just spent a couple of days wrapping the DarkGDK C++ version in classes and I have to say if the DarkGTK.Net version is anywhere near as nice to use as my wrapped version then I am going to be a very happy puppy indeed.

If there's anything I can help with in the .Net version I'd be happy to contribute.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 05:33:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 05:33:46