Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Is Per-Pixel collision possible/fakeable?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 04:22
I've been working on a game in GameMaker for quite some time (http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=351016) and I recently stumbled upon Dark GDK thanks to MS VC++ Express. I was really impressed by how well done the docs and example were, and so I'm considering switching my game over to it.

I'm planning on trying to find a way to get Tile Studio to work with Dark GDK, but that's not the main issue I think I'll have. My game, as you can tell by the angled slopes, depends fairly heavily on per-pixel collisions. I was flipping through the reference and saw nothing that looked like it would help with those kinds of collisions. So is it possible to pull off per-pixel collisions, or even fake them somehow for angled slopes?

If I can get my engine working in Dark GDK, I would really like to release the basic platforming/tile-set portions of it, so that there's a good example of platforming, tiles, etc.

Many thanks to any and all help
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 11:17
The best thing to do would be to handle collision similarly to how 3D games manage it - using meshes of some sort to map boundaries. Pixel-perfect collision is inefficient.

Asacolips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 18:07
I was thinking about that as well. How exactly would you go about that though? I flipped through the reference and I'm guessing some of the commands from the Basic3d section. Since I don't have much experience yet with using meshes for collision, would you mind making a general outline of how to do something like that?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:15:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:15:44