Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK and C++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 18:01
Before I start digging into Dark GDK, is there any differences between Dark GDK and C++?

Do they have all of the same commands and such?

Is one easier than the other?

Which one runs faster?

Thanks in advance.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 18:34
C++ is a programming language, and the GDK is a library for use within C++, so there's all the difference in the world.

Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 18:47
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks for the help.
Willie Mundermuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 14:43 Edited at: 21st Sep 2008 14:44
Sorry if this offends, but LOL! Hey, we all start somewhere. I'd suggest starting with a much, MUCH easier language that doesn't involve the arcane and sometimes arbitrary syntax involved in developing w/ C++. Trust me, C++ is NOT a starting language. In fact, it's more than likely the most arcane (though extremely powerful) of all the general purpose languages.
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 17:16
Then what should I use? I'm trying to learn something else besides a "scripting language" and thought I would try my luck with C++.

I was looking into Python too.
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 17:59
Quote: " Then what should I use? I'm trying to learn something else besides a "scripting language" and thought I would try my luck with C++.
"

How about DarkBasic.

Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 18:03
I said I wanted to try something else besides a scripting language. I'm not saying I'm abandoning DarkBasic but I want to try something else.
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 19:33
DarkBasic is not a scripting language...

Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 20:33
I can open it up the editable in Notepad.

Therefore DarkBasic = Scripting language
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 20:39 Edited at: 21st Sep 2008 20:48
Quote: "I can open it up the editable in Notepad.

Therefore DarkBasic = Scripting language"

I'm sorry if that offended you.

You can open up C++ source files (.cpp) files in notepad, as well as Python. In fact typically any programming language's source files are able to be opened in notepad.

I think you are missing the difference between a scripting language and a programming language.

Typically scripting languages are used to control the behavior of a program. XML is used in Crysis to control many aspects of entities. Python is used in Blender to create functions that would be very difficult to perform manually.

Programming languages, on the other hand, are used to actually create the program in the first place.

Hope I cleared that up for ya. And considering your limited knowledge of these subjects I think you should stick with a language such as DBP for now.

90% of statistics are completely inaccurate.
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 20:47
What does opening it in Notepad have to do with anything really.

Anyways you can't compile DarkBasic programs from Notepad.

Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 20:48
Ahhh I'm getting all confused. When I looked up the difference on google I was informed that if you could open it up in Notepad that it was a scripting language. But I guess not.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 21:16
I would recommend a good C++ tutorial, but I honestly think you need to better learn the basics of programming in general. Start here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172579(VS.80).aspx

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 21:20
I know how to program in DBPro. Just new to C++. I know the basics of programming.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 04:54
What about waiting a few days to get the new DarkGDK.NET?

Then you can use it with C#, which is easier to learn than C++ and you also get used to the syntax.

I'm an experienced C# developer (using it from Visual Studio.NET Beta 2) that was always afraid of C++, but I've been developing some things in C++ on the last week without major problems, but it is easier now that the syntax feels like home to me.

I think you should consider it as with an easier language, and DGDK.NET's native OOP library, you could concentrate a lot more effort on working on your games.

-Thiago
Gasilli
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 05:05
C# is a lot easier to program with. I have programmed with C++ for a little while now, and I tried C# today and I am almost as good with it as I am with C++.
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 05:06
Well I've been fiddling with C++ today a little bit. I'm starting to get used to how the syntax works.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 05:10
Quote: "I know how to program in DBPro. Just new to C++. I know the basics of programming."

I don't say this to belittle your experience, but

Quote: "Then what should I use? I'm trying to learn something else besides a "scripting language" and thought I would try my luck with C++.

I was looking into Python too."

Python == scripting language

Quote: "I can open it up the editable in Notepad.

Therefore DarkBasic = Scripting language "

Being able to use DBPro doesn't mean you understand programming languages in general; it simply means you can work with DBPro syntax. You need to have an understanding of how what you're typing becomes a program.

READ: Learn some C# or Java and find some information about programming languages and how they work.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 05:17
I'm not taking it that you're belittling my experience.

I'm taking this as a learning experience.

But one question, could you explain to me how Python is a scripting language? I've got the Python book sitting in front of me and it says its an OOP language.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 05:19
My bad. I got Python mixed up with another language (or maybe a scripting version of Python).

I recommend finding something about how programming language in general work (I'll post a link if I find one). Then, learning C#, as C/C++ are very difficult to work with in comparison.

Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 05:23
I know I should probably work with C# instead of C++. However I think I'm getting the hang of the syntax. I started learning yesterday and I'm closing in on completing a game (extremely simple of course.)

And if you do find a link I would be grateful if you would share it.
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 05:25
Finding a good article on it is harder than I thought.

After a little bit of messing with C++, I highly recommend sticking with C# for awhile. While little things are simple in C++, you start to realize how hard larger projects are pretty soon.

Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 05:36
Wait can I use the GDK library with C#?
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 06:04
Heya, If you have some experience in programming in DarkBasic and in basic programming principles... ie, types, basic logic, loops and how they work, that kind of basic thing... then there is not alot stopping you from starting to learn C++...

That said however, the actual learning of the language is something that there is no easy way to achieve.. it is a time consuming process, simply because the language itself is so complex, and the correct use of it is something that takes time to learn properly( any old joe can write a program and crash a pc takes time to learn to write a program that wont), there are a number of "Teach yourself c++" type books around, and they are usually fairly good at showing you the bare basics of the language, but are by no means something you should use as a reference guide, they are more of a quick intro to basic terms and techniques...

If you are truly interested in learning the C++ language properly, then I suggest doing a couple of things to help, first is to get yourself some current literature on the language, 2nd is to invest in some proper education on the subject(schooling), there is a fairly good book available for download from microsoft for free, available at the same place that you download visual c++ express from, C++ A Beginner’s Guide by Herbert Schildt is the title.. There is also another great book detailing Visual Studio C++ 2008 that you can obtain through amazon or its publishers(not free however) and that is :

Ivor Horton’s Beginning Visual C++ 2008
Published by
Wiley Publishing, Inc.
www.wiley.com
Copyright © 2008 by Ivor Horton
ISBN: 978-0-470-22590-5

To me personally this book has been invaluable, it sits on my desk as a reference all the time, and although detailing specifically the Professional Editions of VC++ 2008, almost all of what is presented is relevant to the Express Edition aswell(just things like MFC programming, resource editing inside VS, that kind of thing cant be done in Express is all - the language is the same though, you just dont get ALL(tools/utils/libs etc) of VC++ 2008 in the Express Editions, however the book presents everything from basic CRT programming techniques to in-depth MFC application development, WEB app development, CLR managed c++, Data sources, creating DLL's, OOP basic/advanced techniques, template creation etc.. aswell as serving as a very good "language reference")

The above is just my personal opinion, there are a number of great sites around the web dedicated to helping people learn the C++ language, you will be able to find information for everybody from complete beginners/never touched a programming language before through to expert professional programmers needing a refresher on some advanced topic or other. The great thing about it is that a great deal of the information available on the web is free... and what better place to start with C++ .. do some learning over the web, see if its something you like/are likely to want to keep doing, then, if it is, look at investing in some proper training courses or literature etc..

Good Luck

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 06:15
@Clbembry re:
Quote: "Wait can I use the GDK library with C#? "

the answer to that question is Yes, you can.. but maybe not just yet....

There is a specific version of DarkGDK being released for .NET programming called DarkGDK.NET ... the developer is ApexNOW, and you can find him in these forums..

I cant say for sure, you would need to check the appropriate threads, but that package is scheduled for a release very very soon(if it hasnt been already, it will be released in a similar way to the DarkGDK native, which is free for non-commercial use... Dont quote me on that though, i might be wrong and it might not be free, best to check the appropriate thread)

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 06:16
Thanks. Sometime in the next week I will delve into a C++ book. But until I get it I'll look into the free download.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:18:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:18:47