Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Music joint effort

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 01:17
Well, I'm not sure whether this is really an all that practically achievable project, but the other day I was thinking about ways to try to blow some new life into this subforum (it had been pretty much dead for the latest week) and (original as I am ) I figured we could try to throw a track together where the forum members would add recordings of themselves playing their respective instrument for a song.
Of course this won't be all that easy when taking especially the tempo in consideration (therefore, it would naturally be for the best if the percussions or other rhytmic sections were recorded first, so that the rest could be added on top of that).

I figured that I'd have to show something off myself to justify this, and has hence made a recording of the piano part of Life on Mars which you can download here. I noticed that I really let the tempo slip away there... in my defence, I recorded this around midnight, after a day of linear algebra
(Ps. I don't claim to know how the piano part of this song is really supposed to be played, but I thought this sounded pretty right - I know it's a rather complex song).

So what do you think, could this work, or am I steering my cow into the swamp here?

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 18:25 Edited at: 21st Sep 2008 18:47
You suck.

Edit: oops, what I meant to say was that you're very good, and this is a nice idea.

I don't know what I could contribute with though. Haven't gotten my soundcard yet, and I'm not very good at guitar. Which is the only instrument I'm playing.

For something like this, a TGC theme song... Only the best is adequate.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 20:05 Edited at: 21st Sep 2008 20:09
i will chunk some guitar/piano/vocals whatever really into the project .

@rudolpho nice idea ,i will be glad to join in .

ps guess you are a bowie fan , me too .

nvidia geforce 8600gt + amd athlon 64
windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 00:17
Well, sounds like we should give it a try then

@Grandma: pah, just grab the triangle, comrade
Actually, I don't think we can be very picky either, as there aren't very many guys around here, and probably most of us just play the piano or guitar.
(If it would really be that bad, I guess we could always bring forth our trusty synthesizers to aid us).

So, any ideas for a song?

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 10:42 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2008 10:48
ive got harmonicas which i`m pretty good at ,so if the tracks key is in g major or c major i could add some .

Im not doing much to day so i could thrash out a tempory chord sequence if i knew what style/genre were after or if we would be doing a cover

Anyways im short on ideas of late so i will leave that upto you guys.

Edit:

Don`t forget if anyone uses real instruments/stringed that they are tuned to pitch or we will have problems lol.

chunks

windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 14:54
Ooooh, harmonicas

Well, I assume that it's always nice to have a homemade song, now that you're saying it, so why not.
About the genre, I don't know too well though... what are your preferences?
I think reggae is pretty cool (we'd need a good bassist then though), standard rock is fine, or hard rock for that matter. I suppose we can't have that much orchestral influences, but something acoustic mayhap?
If you're up to it, when I write for a group band, I usually end up with some sort of power metal.
I'm probably fine with most styles, except jazz (or rap or something like that that we wouldn't do anyways )

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 16:07
what about a re-work of my entry for the supposed music compo (track 5 i think ) ,uses nice simple chords , and it`s got a catchy hook .

windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 20:21
Sure
It doesn't have much claviature instruments though (the only one I master), but I guess an organ would go well with that song, if it's to be reworked, or what do you think?

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 23:06 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2008 23:48
yes sure whatever ,what sequencer do you use just wondering about portability , i use cubase sx3 .

I will lay down a drum track and guitar rythm , i`ll use the chords sequence from that song even if it doesn`t end up being the same song, probably end up totally different i did that a couple of years ago just entered it in the comp cos i didn`t have anything at the time.

chunks

edit:

attached guitar test.

windows xp pro.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2008 09:30
if i could record anything i played i would... but i cant

if you call me an idiot/retard again, ill stick my finger in your mouth, and i have a really dirty finger, you don't want it in there!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2008 21:09
Sounds good, Chunks

@Jesusaurisrex: aw :/

Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2008 00:43 Edited at: 24th Sep 2008 00:45
im looking at a guitar though that has this cord that can be plugged into my computer through usb, and comes with a disk that records things i want on my computer, even wrights sheet music for what i play. its frigging sweet. now i just need to get a job (my money dried up really fast after i quit my old one)

or i could just get a mike, but the sound quality i would think would be terrible.

if you call me an idiot/retard again, ill stick my finger in your mouth, and i have a really dirty finger, you don't want it in there!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2008 00:50 Edited at: 24th Sep 2008 00:51
Actually, most modern computers have a 3.5mm line-in port, so I'm guessing all you'd need would be a small adapter for your regular teleplug.
(Recording software can be found for free every here and there).

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2008 20:18 Edited at: 24th Sep 2008 20:26
to be honest the line input on a normal mobo sound card are subject to a lot of noise , i`d suggest a di box/preamp and a good external soundcard/box usb2 or firewire , you can get them quite cheap these days.

I use an alesis external usb mixer/soundcard ,its got all the inputs ya need mic/line etc and an 8 channel mixer and it was around 80 gbp which considering the noiseless quality i get its sound.
also it bypasses the computer sound out so you don`t get any latency problems while monitoring .

what type of guitar are you recording an electric or acoustic ,if it`s an electric you can get good result by micing up the guitar amp even with a cheap dynamic mic just mess about with the placement of the mic and make sure the amps vol is cranked up, air is always good sound more realistic.

If it`s an acoustic you have to be a little more refined by getting a condenser mic which pick the higher freqs better also a compresser/preamp are a must for good results,although the guitar i recorded in the post above was done on an electric plugged into my mixer/soundcard then i added an acoustic moddeller ,the result is an acoustic - ish sound .

chunks.

windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 00:54
Hm, I guess my soundcard's pretty good then
Anyways, Chunks is most likely right here, so you're better of taking his advice over mine.

Attached a recording of me fooling around with a sampled C3 (it didn't go all that well, but just though I should upload something to show I'm still alive).

I really need to figure out how to link the rotator to my sustain pedal, instead of the modwheel (as it is by default); it's very hard to control while using both hands to play...

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 13:33
@ Rudolpho

I don't see any attachement. Have you been licking those frogs again?

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 17:38
Um... yeah, kind of...
I only have one left however, the other two ran off a few days ago
Looks kind of like this:
and responds to the names Harry and Larry, in case you've seen them.
(I really need them back; they're such a great source of inspiration).

Anyways, starting to sober up here (a dose of Barry alone doesn't last very long...), and I think it's attached by now... but maybe not, as the attachment button glows purple. Hm...

Attachments

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 20:00 Edited at: 25th Sep 2008 20:03
@rudolpho get the frogs to do the rotator it might be quite wacky ,anyways works well with the pretend acoustic.

shall i track the full song out so there`s some variation so you can add your stuff then hopefully someone will add somthing else being a joint effort and all.

is the speed okay ?

if so i will un-mute the drumtrack so we can keep in time ,it`s just a simple beat to keep time we can remove the beat and add percusion or whatever afterwards.

anybody up for some bass or will i have to get mi old bass guitar out .

chunks

windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 20:25
Yeah, I think that would be a good idea (tracking the whole thing, with the percussion as well). If you could add some sort of count-in (I don't know the english term, but you've got to know what I mean, right?) so that I know when to come in, it would be nice too

Also, as of current, I do all my recordings by using the "What-U-Hear" channel, and thus I can't really record only what I play (unless I play the rhytm section from an exterior source, but thats quite a fuss to do); I was wondering if you know of any way to do this differently?

Oh yeah, the tempo is nice too

I guess I could talk to a bassist friend of mine, but maybe we want only TGC:ers for this, or does it not matter?

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 21:24
Ive done the track with a simple beat , i was hoping you could play along to the track but only record the organ , so i could mix it all together here

only other way is to do it in a sequencer eg cubase and we can pass back and forth between them .

anyways here is the simple track.

windows xp pro.

Attachments

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 00:49
Sounds good, but maybe we should edit the ending a bit?
It gets slightly repetive with the same four chords run over and over again after the second refrain

I'll see what I can do about recording only from one specfic source tomorrow; got to get some sleep by now.

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 17:39
any ideas as what to do im rubbish at endings i usually just fade em out.

cool sus it out .

windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 22:08
Well, how about going for a break in B flat after the second refrain and two more loops at the main scheme?
I can try to think something up.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 22:20
Here's my idea for the break.

Attachments

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 22:50
cool i like it , i will now make the drums more exiting and do the acoustic with the new much need break .

windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 23:03
Cool

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 04:02
@rudolpho are you still after the asio/vst sdk`s i`ve finally got them if you want i can send them.

I`m looking into making a asio multitrack/midi software , i will have to get it working through a plugin because gui`s are much easier in dbpro.

Congrats on your midi plugin i`ve been playing around with it today for input from midi controller ,works flawlesly .

Also i found out that you can store the notes in db pro and then play them back through my stand alone korg wavestation.

only problem i had was latency problems with the microsoft soft synth but i think thats the synth and nothing to do with your plugin ,anyway it works fine through the korg app so that proves that it works great.

well done .

chunks.....

windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 16:01
Yeah, well, I don't have that much time anymore, but I guess I'll better take 'em now and see what I can do with them

Nice to hear that it's working for you too.
And yep, the MS synth is rather slow - the nice thing is that the plugin works with ASIO ports as well, so you can actually get ~10ms latencies with your DBPro app collecting midi-in messages

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:36:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:36:01