Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Mechwarrior And! bf2152 made from fpsc

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2008 09:24 Edited at: 27th Sep 2008 10:00
to jenkins:
Please dont flame me on this thread man, i gave a lot of thought in to this, it took nearly all night and all day to think of man so cut me some slack please man..

My idea:
I was thinking about this for a good while, i don't see many games out there that consist of mechwarrior or bf2142 and i was wondering if it could be done using fpsc. Now i know using such methods would need a LOT of coding and i am contimplating using DB pro to write the game engine. Well, i dont know how to write one yet but ive been watching some tutorials but they dont teach you how to make a game engine, and i know they consist of using a lot of math. I know a little bit and have been going to night school to learn more, Anyway back on the subject.

I would like to try my hand at making a game with the two said games combined together, now if this is possable tell me what would need to be done. Programs, etc.. or if this isnt possable then the mods might as well just lock the topic once 5 negative posts have been made saying that it isnt.

I have begun work on the maps using just fpsc, creating outside envierments with some buildings that the ground forces can go in ware mechs and advanced battle armors cant. This idea would breath maybe new hope in to the idea of simulater/fps games, but the only problem i have ran in to so far is that the map grid is to in to close, meaning that the map would be close range. Now thats cool. Could make a cool brawling map for both mechs and ground pounders as i like to call the infentry, the map grid im thinking of could be atleast maybe 1000x920 probably not possable so that might be said not possable. And i know the FPSC engine is basic, im thinking the engine is either a custom engine or based around an already existing old game out there. Quake 2?..

I have some drawings of the mechs and foot soldires
(Not very good) but i could post them if any one would like to see them, weapons im thinking would be a total of 70 different weapons types. The game from what i have experimented with so far MIGHT SLOW TO A CRASH! if so im sure there might be something better in later versions of FPSC in the future (Which i hope i dont have to rebuy but if i need to then thats fine) im also thinking usable vehicles, mechs, apcs, atvs, cars, trucks, stuff like that. Which i know will requier a LOT of coding plus physics coding, again im not good at math but i can fallow the tutorials and make rough estimates.

im also thinking of making a GUI that would allow you to customize your mech, character, weapon, uniform... To any thing you would like, a dynamic sense if you know what i mean, anything that can be done WILL BE DONE.. based around that consept, i know i would need some programs for this and i am thinking of what i need. And i would like to make a list of what i need, could some one tell me what i would need, i have so far is

FPSC
DBPro
3ds Max (or milkshape)
c++ express?
C#?
and msvb express or so?

This idea is to try something new to bring FPS and simulation together like bf2142 tried to do

P.S
i know i screwd up on the title. Sorry about that.

P.S.S
After going over the manual i am disheartend to see that its not possable

33. FPSC isn't meant for you to make next HL or Quake or even next Halo; just a plain "simple" nowadays game.

this thread can be locked now..

We create games of tomorrow so you can play for the future
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice idea but I'd forget about making some sort of hybrid BF style experience for now. However you could surely achieve something cool by focusing on the mech aspect and using forced perspective techniques to make the world seem bigger. The maximum map size is just too small to have any kind of an open battleground (not to mention you're inviting a serious lag fest by having open environments at all). FPSC doesn't like big enemies but small ones are mostly OK. Player camera height is also fixed as well as player speed (stock x9) so you need to consider that as well. If other mechs are "normal" size and everything else scaled down things might be OK. However, you will still move quickly like EVA or Gundam or something more than a Mechwarrior (though I suppose there were fast scouts and booster jets or whatever). It's a little easier to slow the speed of enemies though (which you'll likely need to do for infantry if using reduced scale). You still need to consider that you can't throw too much at the engine calculation-wise. Mod or no mod. However if the non-mechs you are fighting are mostly vehicles you might be able to handle more enemies on-screen because of greatly reduced resources needed for bone processing or vertices being transformed due to the rigid nature of vehicles vs. humans. This could even let you get away with more dynamic entities in the scene for destroyable scenery or whatever.

On this kind of project I think you're jumping the gun worrying about concept art, 70 weapons, etc. If it's fun with a bunch of boxes, it'll be great once you can embellish things. Before you get too into/attached to any specific design, you should slap together some simple test levels just to see if the basic feel is even doable. Then make a list of things that would make the experience work better and compare to feature sets of existing mods before diving into your own. The top mods are being built by guys with considerable DBP and FPSC experience. Without the same, you could be in over your head in a hurry. If you can manage your own expectation you should be able to make something really nice because it's a good concept.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2008 11:35
No wait... dont go!

I know its not possible, but heck, lets try .

Ofcourse, i think the GUI is impossible, but the other stuff could be.
I can make fair moddles in milkshape, pretty good map designer (on paper, i draw a grid and plan it out) i could also do some concepts and people looks and stuff.

All that sounds pretty novoice i know, it just i hah like 2 mins before my bro boots me off.

This post in a nutshell: We should make a team and do our verry best.

Reply to me at bennyboy2321@msn.com please

http://www.metamorphic-inc.co.nr
outlaw241
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2008 15:03
HEY!!!! i play bf2142!!!!!!!
name- cpt.shivers

ADD ME!!!!!!

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2008 18:28
Quote: "to jenkins:
Please dont flame me on this thread man, i gave a lot of thought in to this, it took nearly all night and all day to think of man so cut me some slack please man.."

I just LOL'd.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2008 19:39
Change the HUD to look like a cockpit, and change your view, so you are higher up, didnt someone make a model of a thing you can get in, a bit like that thing from aliens, that loader ripley got in. its on one of those fpsc download sites.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 13:29:25
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 13:29:25