Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Taking that first Leap

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 06:19
Hi guys, Sasuke here. I've been wondering for ages about changing to DarkGDK but am just too attached to DBP. So whats the diffrence other than the obvious C++, I mean is this the way forward. In saying this I know what the diffrences are, but really how much over DBP will this improve my skills and is this the future?

Sorry if I worded this oddly, its an odd thing to explain, well for me anyway.

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 09:19 Edited at: 4th Oct 2008 09:21
"whats the diffrence other than the obvious C++", uhh, nothing?(unless you count all the libraries you can use) GDK is basically the DBPro library in C++ form, you don't magically get to have a flying carpet or anything. But being C++, it gives you a trillion more things.

Think of DBPro like a Bumper Car, it's cool at first, fun and easy to use, but if you go too far off track you hit a wall or it stops working and it's slow, not many people use them etc. But think of C++ like a jet powered tank that can go underwater and has a VTOL capability that works in space and it can fire nukes and has 500 lasers on its mech-like exoskeleton and can go faster than the speed of light and throws black holes and planets and is powered by pure awesome. So... it's harder to use(at first), but once you learn it all you'll find it's far better!

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 09:37
Quote: "Think of DBPro like a Bumper Car, it's cool at first, fun and easy to use, but if you go too far off track you hit a wall or it stops working and it's slow, not many people use them etc. But think of C++ like a jet powered tank that can go underwater and has a VTOL capability that works in space and it can fire nukes and has 500 lasers on its mech-like exoskeleton and can go faster than the speed of light and throws black holes and planets and is powered by pure awesome. So... it's harder to use(at first), but once you learn it all you'll find it's far better!"

That's the most amazing comparison.

And I agree with it. C++ is far more powerful. It's great.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 13:01
Wow dark coder, you really know how to sell it, well thats it, i'am buying. Thanks guys. So is there a ton of tools that I need then (not media stuff) or is Visual Studio Express the only thing?

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 13:12 Edited at: 4th Oct 2008 13:12
Buy what? VS Express is free, and GDK is free(for non-commercial stuff), the rest is the same as DBPro, just learn the C++ syntax and all its paradigms and you're set, http://cplusplus.com is a good resource for help. VS '08 Express comes with all the libraries you need(other than DX SDK?) so there isn't really much to set up, just make sure you read what's in every other thread on this board, make projects using the GDK wizards and then set your project to /MT and not /MTd in the project settings, but you can search to find better info on this.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 13:37
I know its free, its a metafor (I think). So you can't sell stuff then, bummer, I bet C++ costs a ton, no matter, it will be a great way to learn C++ anyway. Cool, i'll start reading those threads now, cheers.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 16:11
Wow, theres some great stuff here, can't wait to try it out, could convert my GUI libaray over and my game engine and editor, theres so much to do.

One thing, do you guys every go back to DBP now and then?

SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 18:09
I occasionally use DBPro for quick tests of the feasibility of ideas, but rarely for anything serious anymore.

My site, for various stuff that I make.
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 18:20
Quote: "I bet C++ costs a ton"

There are many free compilers out there, I have been programming for a while and haven't spent a penny, rather than on book and etc.

Although there are many alternatives, DarkGDK is for use with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition which is freely download-able from the Microsoft website.

Also I'm not sure if you can sell anything with the GDK, if you can, I'm sure it will require a special license after a set amount of profits.

Just because its free doesn't mean its restricted. Don't let the convenience fool you haha.

To answer your question, I have never used DB Professional, I have always been the C++ kind of guy. I was debating between just using the Direct x9 SDK and the DarkGDK before I came here.

www.Helios-Online.net
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 19:02
DarkGDK is definitely the way to go. Besides for some new syntax it is the same as DBP but faster and more flexible because of how many libraries there are to make things easier for you *points at sig*.

And I'm simply amazed that TGC released it free. I mean sure it's not as good as engines like C4 or TV3D but it's free!! That's a huge plus for beginning C++ programmers.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 03:43
I'm hooked, just played around for a sec add its great. It really isnt that much different, though I have studied C before, just got board and switch it for DB. So now where to begin, what to do, should I start converting my game engine and editor over, thats one thing. My editor, some of you may have seen it, some may have help me on it, ever way theres a hugh thread about it.

Now I've spent quite awhile refining the GUI, refining the core engine, heres a link to the thread with the latest pic near the bottom of the page (reason for not just putting up the image: writing this on a itouch), you'd be surprised to hear I've used no plugins and no media resources, all DBP.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=108410&b=1&p=8

Anyway, if I rewrite it for DGDK, will the be a vast improvement. I can tell the modular part of it will be far easier.

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 21:48
^That UI was pretty sexy, to say the least.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 12:57
I'm just getting a (another, last one broke) new laptop, it comes with Vista, so the question is how does DGDK fair on Vista, I know there been problems with DBP on Vista that's why I've held onto XP and so I can play all my old games. So whats the situation?

Cheers Mahoney, it took awhile for it to get back to that stage, a page or two back on that thread has a demo of the last editor GUI, worth a look just to see the big difference.

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 23:21
Quote: "I'm just getting a (another, last one broke) new laptop, it comes with Vista, so the question is how does DGDK fair on Vista, I know there been problems with DBP on Vista that's why I've held onto XP and so I can play all my old games. So whats the situation?"

I've only used DarkGDK on Vista. It's great.

SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 23:37
Quote: "I'm just getting a (another, last one broke) new laptop, it comes with Vista, so the question is how does DGDK fair on Vista, I know there been problems with DBP on Vista that's why I've held onto XP and so I can play all my old games. So whats the situation?"

I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit lol. I have all odds against me and everything works great. Never had a problem.

www.Helios-Online.net
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 23:43 Edited at: 7th Oct 2008 23:48
Sounds like i'm all set to make the transition to DGDK then, already converted most of my GUI engine (on XP), so cheers guys and i'll see you in the threads

It funny how awhile ago, I talked about coding styles and posted this in DBP, relates someway don't you think:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:15:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:15:09