Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Fluids don't look great...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 21:31
Yeah, I know this has been brought up before, but I wanted to know if it's my error or something else. I remember when the fluids for DP first came out. They looked like the Nvidia demo:

Now, I can compile anything in the demo folder and it looks more like this:

And that really just doesn't look too great. Is this a known issue or on purpose or what? I did some searching and found a couple threads mentioning similar problems but no solutions or answers.

Thanks in advance.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 23:56
Its on purpose, and be thankful you can get it looking like that!

I think the reason it looks a bit rubbish, is because that particular demo isn't showing off the new shader properly.

Take a look at Kendor's entry for the Dark Physics competition. I think it is the best demonstration of the fluid system so far:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=133695&b=32

culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 06:06
When you say it looks a bit rubbish, are you implying that it will be fixed? And if there's a new shader, how do I use it? Like... how might I recreate that Nvidia demo?
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 14:01
I don't think it needs to be fixed. I only said it looks "rubbish" here is because that particular demo doesn't show off the shader properly.
This is the same shader used in the new Nvidia Demos I think.

What Graphics card are you using?

Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 20:39
Yeah, as BiggAdd correctly said, it is the same fluid used in the competition. Currently, the main problem with fluid is the way it is rendered i.e. if there is an object below it, the fluid seems to disappear. If you hide/make transparent (like in my competition entry) the underneath objects, you will see them better.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why.
Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 17:13:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 17:13:25