Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / [WIP] DarkReality

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 01:46 Edited at: 5th Oct 2008 18:28

About:
DarkReality is a horror virtual reality simulator using DarkGDK and a sensor based mechanism to mimic a fully player interactive environment.

In Game:
The demo level that will be created along with DarkReality will also be released to play with the traditional mouse and keyboard. Various game play videos will be released to show how the virtual reality mechanism interacts fluently with the game environment.

The Mechanism:
Currently constructed from an old manual treadmill, the player will mount the platform and begin walking and etc to navigate the player around the 3D world. Two hand controls will allow the player to simulate pushing doors open and controlling camera movement. This will be updated later as the project progresses.

= Completed
= WIP (Work In Progress)
= Requires More Planning

Kaos Scripting Engine:
- Script Parser
- World Creation
- GUI

Mechanism:
- Platform
- Multi-Touch Screen
- Hand Controls
- Mount Sensor
- Microprocessor
- Addition Sensory Systems

In Game Environment:
- Multi-Touch Integration

Joining The Team:
I am currently looking for anyone interested in joining the team. We are looking for people skilled in Digital State Electronics, Sensor Sytems (PING, Acoustic, Photoresistor, etc)and DarkGDK Programming.

Current Ideas/Theories:
Mount Sensor: I want the machine to know when the user has mounted the platform or not. I also want the machine to recognize when to pause the world when the user wants to take a break. I figured the best way to do this, would be to connect Cadmium Sulfide Photoresistors to each of the player mounted hand controls. When the player grabs the crontrol, the Photoresistors will loose any contact with light (shaded out by your hand) and drop in resistance value.

Any comments/questions/CC are more than welcome!

www.Helios-Online.net
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 01:58
You kick ass.
ReiKumar
Years of Service
User Offline
How are you planning on doing walking where the player wants to turn?

Awesome Idea BTW.
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 02:20
I was either thinking hand controls, or having an actual 360 degree platform.

I don't want to release many specific details as of now, or at least until I can work more on the prototype.

www.Helios-Online.net
ReiKumar
Years of Service
User Offline
360 Platform = Thumbs Up

Don't Release Detail = 1 1/2 Thumbs Up

Make Prototype = 3 Thumbs Up
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 03:47
I'm proud to contribute to such a good project. *is making Kaos-Script*
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 18:32 Edited at: 5th Oct 2008 18:46
Update: I built the multi-touch surface today. We are debating between two forms of multi-touch input. One possible way is on a flat touch pad like surface mounted in front of you. Another possible way is actually hold a gun with IR Tape on the tip, and wear an IR glove. When you wave your hand in front of the mini IR Camera, you will be able to realistically push doors open while at the same time move on the surface AND shoot/look around with the gun. Ill post pictures as they become available.

www.Helios-Online.net
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 15:23
We ran some tests with the multi-touch library and have some basic multitouch applications working with our device. Once again as im still promising, I will post some pictures here as soon as I can. I also wanted to update on the platform. I am getting some new materials for it to relace older ones.

The new materails are going to cost about $30.00 total. This includes some general construction material and a treamill I will heavily mod to provide a nice running surface.

I would also like to include thanks to Zuka who is coding a scripting engine and is allowing DarkReality to use it for our project.

www.Helios-Online.net
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 15:36
oh.... sounds nice....

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 15:45
I wanted to see how much you can extend DarkGDK, even off the screen.

If a mod wants to move this to WIP, be my guest. Its sort of a learning experience, nothing that really could be released to the public unfortunatly.

www.Helios-Online.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:14:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:14:01