Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / I'm done with my game. now what?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have my game finished in my Visual Studio c++ 2008 Express edition. I was thinking it might be nice to make an executable that I could zip and send to a friend that doesn't have GDK installed on his PC.

The problem is, I have NO idea how to do that. And I've searched online, noone has ever had a problem with it, so I don't know what to do. Can anyone here help?

--
sig file under construction
Wikaman1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 19:58
once you have compiled it and linked it, it should be in the debug folder.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 20:00
You don't want to send a debug version. Only a release version should be shipped. But the sender also has to contend with the fact that it requires a specific release of Direct X.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 20:17
Get the executable out of the release folder after compiling by pressing "F5" in MSVC++ 2008 Express. Make sure you have the media directory also included that has any images/models you have for your game. The name of this directory varies. If there is a lot of media that you do not want stolen, you may want to look into resource files or some form of compression/encryption.

Another nice touch is to get an install creator package and make an installer for you game. There are few out there, im sure there are demo versions you can pick up for free.

I also find it silly that you can code a whole working game in C++ and not know where the executable is saved or how to compile one...

Its just basic directory navigation...

One more thing, you may want to include the d3d dll file in the same directory as your executable. This will prevent errors some of your players will encounter. Im not sure of the exact file name of that DLL, but if someknow knows im sure they will be nice enough to post you a download link.

Good luck with your game and make sure to PM me a link if you ever get a package released!

www.Helios-Online.net
johhny trash
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried that, and I get a 'can't find d3dx9_35.dll' error on the other PC.

--
johhny trash
Years of Service
User Offline
It's not that I don't know where the executable is, it's that the executable only seems to work on my PC. (and I have included all of the associated media files.)

--
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 01:16
I can recommend Inno Setup for the setup program.

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 02:32 Edited at: 8th Oct 2008 02:32
Download this file, and include it with the package. And thank you Neils.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/d3dx9_35.zip?0VEfRAaDmP

www.Helios-Online.net
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 03:14
I would like to point out, redistributing the individual DirectX files is illegal. It can also cause a good few other issues that may or may not show up.

The proper way to do this is to supply the DirectX Redist along with your game. Or just make sure the person you're sending your game to is running the LATEST version of DirectX (Microsoft releases a new version of DirectX every two to three months). The latest version of DirectX is backwards compatible with previous releases.

SushiBox: I highly recommend not suggesting users distribute that file. It can cause issues and incompatibilities with other pieces of DirectX.

-Piro
johhny trash
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to find the file, copy it to the folder that folder that has the game on other computers, no dice. Also, I tried to update directX on a PC and that didn't work either.

It looks like I'm going to have to install Visual c++ 2008 AND dark GDK just to run the executable on a PC. I shouldn't have to install almost 2Gigs of stuff just to run a 2MB program.

Is it the environment suite or am I the only one that has this problem?

--
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 10:47
johhny - You dont need to install 2GB. Use Inno Setup and look at this links:

http://www.coldacid.net/project/isxdx
http://www.vincenzo.net/isxkb/index.php?title=DirectX_-_How_to_detect_DirectX_version

Then you are up and running with no problems.

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 15:16
Lol, my job here is to make nubs go to jail... LOL.

Sorry about that.

www.Helios-Online.net
Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 23:12
Try to run the game from different folders(On your friends pc). It might work. (For some reason one of my games cant be run from a folder on the end users desktop)
But you would still have a problem, but not one quite as big.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:29:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:29:29