Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK on Vista x64

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 04:53
So, dumping my ancient and crappy '03 Dell I bought a new computer about a month ago, and this custom-built beauty has been running wonderfully so far and so has Vista (to my surprise).

BUT, I've given samples of some of my previous nooby works to friends (some who had vista) to test out... Guess which friends couldn't get stuff to run?

Anyways does anyone have personal experience running DGDK on Vista64 and can vouch that stuff compiles, runs, installs etc. fine?

I'm getting stuff DL'ed and setup ATM but I just wanted to ask if many ppl had success...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 05:52
Quote: "Anyways does anyone have personal experience running DGDK on Vista64 and can vouch that stuff compiles, runs, installs etc. fine?

I'm getting stuff DL'ed and setup ATM but I just wanted to ask if many ppl had success..."

Running it on Vista 32-bit without a single issue. I've heard from others that 64-bit works fine. I would set the "Check for 64-bit portability issues" option in the Project Settings, though, just to be safe (though that may only apply if you compile for 64-bit; not sure).

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 06:08
Thanks for the reply. DLs are finished on my slow 1.5mbps connection I have here and I am installing. I actually have no clue how you would compile for 64bit but these options might randomly come up since this is my first time working on a 64bit OS.

I'm not gonna be doing any 64bit stuff (at least not yet anyways) so as long as 32bit stuff runs fine, I'll be happy and more than obliged.

Again, TY for reply.

SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 15:12
I would never NOT use 64bit. It works just fine, no need for compatibility. Everything installs to your "Program Files (x86)" folder.

www.Helios-Online.net
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 03:03
LOL I didn't dump my OS (don't know why I would). I was just saying I'm not gonna try to make any 64bit programs (don't know how possible that is using DGDK anyways) because not only of the unneeded troubles I might face, but the fact that x64 isn't exactly standard throughout the globe yet. Yea, and I know if you don't do it, then who will, but I don't think I'm exactly in the position at the moment to drive the revolution.

SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 03:33
Its not really a big revolution or anything, and in fact 64bit isn't a trend but is the basic architecture for all new processors. 64bit simply means the processor has a bus allowing 64bits to pass rather than the traditional and outdated 32. Its much faster and can multi-task literally twice as good. Compiling for 64bit is just a compiler option, I am not sure if MSVC++ 2008 Express supports it or not. I think I read somewhere the express version doesn't. I don't see why DGDK will have problems with that.

www.Helios-Online.net
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 04:01 Edited at: 9th Oct 2008 04:01
Quote: "Its not really a big revolution or anything, and in fact 64bit isn't a trend but is the basic architecture for all new processors. 64bit simply means the processor has a bus allowing 64bits to pass rather than the traditional and outdated 32. Its much faster and can multi-task literally twice as good."

LOL I know that. I'm not that stupid (yes I know you had absolutely no intention to insult my intelligence) but the reason why I'm avoiding it ATM is as I said the majority of Windows out there is x86 ATM. If I was doing this for personal purposes but I might explore x64 but since this is for a math project I think sticking to x86 is fine for now.

SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 04:05
Haha I know your not stupid, sorry if I came across this way.

The nice part about 64bit, is that it runs 32bit stuff too. Has two Program Files folders. One for 64, and another for 32bit.

You should try it! Its nice :3

www.Helios-Online.net
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 04:13
K mby I didn't say it too straight at first.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 x64.
Majority of Windows users still use 32bit version of Windows.

Now I know that 64bit OSes can run 32bit stuff just fine (that would explain why my Program Files x86 has so many folders).

BUT, I do know that 32bit OSes CANNOT run their 64bit counterpart programs well.

Which is the reason why I'm avoiding doing any compiling in 64bit because I have to hand whatever I am doing into someone who more likely than not has a 32bit OS.

That's my reasoning.

Quote: "Haha I know your not stupid, sorry if I came across this way."

And LOL I know you didn't mean it to come across that way, which it didn't.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 04:18
You can't compile it as 64-bit, as the libraries are 32-bit.

Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 04:19
Quote: "You can't compile it as 64-bit, as the libraries are 32-bit."

Yea that's what I thought.

Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 23:37
Quote: "Ever tried running a 16-bit application?"

Lol. Luckily, it's possible software-style. . . I think?

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:21:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:21:56