Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Windows is blocking my app.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 03:23
I have been writing code and compiling for some time now. All the sudden, Data Execution Prevention from Vista blocks my application from running.

Well no big deal right? Just disable it. Problem is, an error message appears. "This program must run with DEP. DEP cannot be disabled for this application."

Any ideas at all?

www.Helios-Online.net
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 03:33
Quote: "I have been writing code and compiling for some time now. All the sudden, Data Execution Prevention from Vista blocks my application from running.

Well no big deal right? Just disable it. Problem is, an error message appears. "This program must run with DEP. DEP cannot be disabled for this application."

Any ideas at all?"

1) NEVER disable DEP because it stopped a program. Seriously, it stops some pretty crazy malicious techniques.

2) If a regular program that you're writing triggers DEP, that means you've made an error in how you programmed it (most likely pointer/array related).

So, without code, no help. :/

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 04:30 Edited at: 10th Oct 2008 04:38
Quote: "1) NEVER disable DEP because it stopped a program."

I agree, if it stopped your program then it's for a reason. Disabling DEP because it stopped your application is like disabling error messages in DBP when you start getting runtime errors. Besides, had it not stopped your program it would have just crashed anyway.

Quote: "2) If a regular program that you're writing triggers DEP, that means you've made an error in how you programmed it (most likely pointer/array related)."

Indeed, a buffer overflow could trigger such an error.

Willie Mundermuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
DEP is specifically to stop malicious code stored in buffers via an overflow - most likely this is your cause as they said. If you're using windows' text commands, be sure to check out the '_t' versions, which are overrun safe; they are documented in the msdn library. Remember, Windows' commands that require a max c-string count usable by command are actually asking for c-string allocated size - 1, to allow for the c-string sentinel, which is '\0' for multi-byte char and '\0\0' for double-byte char (Unicode). This is VERY important to keep in mind!!! This can easily cause a buffer overflow and/or 'stack corrupted around variable 'name'' message! Check out the wiki on dep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention
Gasilli
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 07:55
And I dont think it would go so well with users saying "Oh yeah, and dont forget to disable malicious program detection so it can run."
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 23:22
Quote: "And I dont think it would go so well with users saying "Oh yeah, and dont forget to disable malicious program detection so it can run." "

Lol. Exactly.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 05:39
Why not? I would disable it right away!

[center][center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:24:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:24:07