Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / AntiGravPlatform help

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 20:17 Edited at: 10th Oct 2008 20:28
How do you get the antigravplatform to stay the same height when testing, as you place it in the editor? I've put it about head height (see attached pic) but when I test it places it back on the floor.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Skydog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 20:23
uhhh...Theres no pic...
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 20:28
Oops, there is now.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 21:13
The waypoints automatically cause the platform to go floorbound, the only answer I can think of is an invisible floor segment at the necessary height to trick the platform into staying in the air.....

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 21:28
Thanks CG but invisible floor segments isn't possible as I want the player to be able to walk where the platform goes, I don't actually want the player on the platform. Is there any other way I can get an object (not necessarily a platform) to follow a waypoint in the air which the player can walk around / in font / behind?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 21:53
No, I don't think there is....

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 22:18
Bah, I've even tried changing the offy setting in the fpe of the object to 50 but still it puts it on the floor.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 22:36
It's the waypoint system....

Perhaps you could try making it MOVEFORE without waypoints, and using the RAYCASTFORE function, get it to move in the opposite direction, that is, if you're just tacking it between 2 points.....

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 22:59
*sigh* No I can't get the bloody thing to move! You couldn't whip up a small example if possible could you CG?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 23:05
Hmm, I've never had any success with the RAYCAST conditions, sorry mate. I've tried this idea before, and it worked every now and then.....

I really can't think of anything else. I guess this is for He is coming, right?

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2008 23:10
Quote: "I guess this is for He is coming, right?"

Nope, it's for a unique technique, I just need to be able to have an object move (in a straight line) from one place to another at mid / head height and then all would be revealed.

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe there is an action to raise a character entity, such as the AntiGravPlatform.

Quote: "* Added 'RAISEFACTOR' to entity FPE fields to allow model to be raised to correct model alignments"

This was added in 1.09. Maybe this'll help.

narcoman
Years of Service
User Offline
i hawe the same problem whit my antigrav platform

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 04:29
Nickydude,

I did some work with anti gravity platforms a long while ago.

Sorry I have not used the recent versions of FPSC as for me with highly complex levels they fall well short in gameplay speeds as compared to the earlier versions so I cant really say what works in them now. However, in an attempt to make a helpful suggestion which may work but like many things FPSC is more likely not to - if I wanted to do what you are trying to achieve as I understand it I would try and make use of an entities central axis point. This may help as said but then again may be a complete waste of time. As it should be quite easy to do then if its important to you to get a result it may be worth the effort in the attempt and the learning is always useful.

The easy bit.

What I would do is make a copy of the gravity platform and all its components and associated components. i.e. model, script, texture and so on and rename them - You know the score.

Then open your new entity in your modeller. The central access point should be in the centre of the object. When the file is imported to your modeller note its position. I guess it may be near the floor position as it would appear in FPSC and roughly at the central world access in the model editor. i.e. In the vertical just about the central line that your Model editor has or should have indicated.

Whatever the vertical imported position in your model editor what you need to do is move the whole model upwards in the vertical plane roughly to the position you want it to appear in FPSC. So if in the model editor it is at the floor position (central world vertical/horizontal access) then move it up by 50 FPSC Units for a position half way up a room tile height inside FPSC and so on.

If your model has imported into your modeller above the central line in the vertical then equally still move it up by the amount you want to increase its position in the vertical inside FPSC.

You may have to test this positioning a few times depending upon what modeller you use and where it in the vertical plane it imports to the world.

Whatever the idea is to find out if the moving of the object and thus its central access point in the world - upwards in the vertical in the model editor repositions the model inside FPSC. It should do so. This is as you may know is not quite the same as moving the position of an entity upwards inside FPSC or even in script or code. In essence it is a physical world positioning.

Next comes the hard part.

So once you have repositioned the model upwards in the model editor export as .x and try it out in FPSC using the new copied scripts you made. I suggest you make an empty test level to try this out. That makes it easier to analyse and quantify any issues as you go. At the moment forget about the path following - thats nightmare number two. When you import it to FPSC do not hit return and force it to the floor of course - that would defeat the objective. Now before you do anything else test run FPSC and look see where new object entity is placed.

In editor and script you may have to adjust settings for physics and weight and so on or perhaps turn them off or on if the entity if it is not positioned correctly or go back to the model editor even perhaps numerous times to make adjustment. The point being you have to get it positioned exactly at the height you want it - Staying there at the height of original placement to the FPSC world without resort to the laws of nature so hopefully you wont need to play with gravity settings too. You want to do this initiallly without interferance from any problems that may caused by introducing paths to the level.

Actually getting the object positioned this way by utilising your Model editor should not be too difficult so presuming you have achieved that then.

Now comes the harder part.

If your new model is positioned as you want it in the vertical then you have to attach it to a path you will create to which you will attach your new antigrav script.

Now there are to overcome an almost infinite number of FPSC issues, instabilities and engine stresses which can and almost certainly will cause erratic and erronous misbehavings and cause you object entity to itself misbehave. So you will also need a great deal of luck.

Testing in an empty level is one thing. In a real game level completely different results are likely so it can be very frustratiing.

The more complex your level then quicker your game will start to feel the stress. The more AI characters you have in particular will quickly case many physics entitries and in your case scenario particularly entities attached to paths to go haywire. Paths are a nightmare in heavily complex levels.

Trying to get any FPSC entity to work around engine limitations and defaults can be very difficult, fraught with difficulty and wear you out.

Even if it does work any other entity that actually physically hits your anti gravity platform may cause it to sink to the floor. That you should test for - it may be OK if you can get it to work at all.

One other thing is you may have to play around with any and all of the entities attached scripts because of the issues relating to gravity.

A lot of effort for no return perhaps.

Happy gravitations.

mAcpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 22:15
nickydude i got this to work... please test it and let me know if your still having the same trouble.

i added the raisefactor command to the .fpe for the antigravplatform.. my fpe is attached. please make sure to use the default script for the platform, follownorotate.fpi

I found that when I used xplosys script to lock the player to the lift, it didn't work so well, i have since modified xplosys original script to make that work too. my modified version of that is in the download as well, but test the original first.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 15:20:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 15:20:21