Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / pasting 2d shapes onto 3d objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Can anyone tell me what is the *easiest* way to paste a 2d shape (circle, square, ellipse, etc) onto a 3-d object or world? I'm trying to do things such as paint a planet's orbit or visually identify a city on a planet.

Seems like there are many options for doing this but if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

-J
Jason Held
Years of Service
User Offline
okay, here is one concrete example. I'm trying to show the planet's orbit so the player can see the planet's path. The planets are 3-d, the orbit is a simple circular red line.

The approach I tried was to
1. create a plane
2. make a .png circle and paste it to the plane
3. rescale the plane based on orbit radius.

Roughly, it'll "work" but it's obviously a crappola approach. First, the orbit is not tranparent (because I'm pasting an image?), so all the planets and sun are cut off when looked at from the side. Second, scaling is a pain when observing from a distance.

Any help for this noobie? I'm not asking for code, but if someone can point me in the right direction, it would save me a helluvah lot of time. Thanks!

-Jason

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 07:13:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 07:13:22