Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / nameing a game (questions about copyright and things like that)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i have chosen i name for a game i am developing...how can i check if the name has already been taken and how can i prevent poeple from using that name (i havent said the name beacuse i do not know how to prevent poele from using it) any help would be most apreachated

when the world seems to be against you it always helps to smile
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 14:52
Well aslong aren't making a commericial game then you can use any name. Stay clear of the names of big games though as you'll probably get flamed for it.

If your making a commercial game type the name into google and see what comes up I suppose. Can't really help you unless you tell us the name though...
smiley
Years of Service
User Offline
...thanks, it is a comercial game and when i googled it: a film did come up...does that mean i cannot use that name even if my game is nothing like the movie...

and how do i prevent other people from steeling the name (i would like this answer to be answered as if the name haddnt been used already to your knolege)

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 15:53
You can't do anything unless you have a good sum of cash to buy the copyright (which I doubt). The people here are a good bunch so I doubt anyone would try to steal your name.
smiley
Years of Service
User Offline
thansk...ill have to look into copyright...i live in england i dont know if that changes anything its just some of the copyright rules/laws are diffrent from what i have herd in the past.

p.s please could you answer my other question:
does it matter that the game has the same name as a movie (comercial game)

Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 17:27
dude no one is gunna steal your name just say it i doubt anyone here just LIVES to sabotage peoples video game names.

dude if you really want a turkey sandwich, then make one, and make ham.sdaF?
smiley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 18:04 Edited at: 11th Oct 2008 18:05
there are 1 reasons why i dont say my name

1 i dont want poeple to see that i have taken the name when i havent finished building the game that wouldnt be fair as i may not even finish it.

(the original reason was i didnt want poeple to copy it and i still dont but as you hav exsplained
Quote: ""i doubt anyone here just LIVES to sabotage peoples video game""

and i remain the right not to say the name as it is my choice...i am still in the developing stage and my ideas frequently change.)

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 19:12
Very basically, and I mean very.... just because a movie has a name doesn't mean you can't use it for a game. I just depends on the name, and whether or not it is considered common language.

For example, if there is a movie called "The Game", that doesn't mean that you can't make a game called that, but you can't make another movie called that. If the name is less common, like say... "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", then no, you better not use it.

Normally, copyright only applies to the same medium. In other words, there could be a store named "McDonald's Music" because McDonald's copyright does not extend to that market.

So the answer is... I don't know?

Best.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 10:56
look at the movie Condemned and the game condemned. Two very different things but with the same name

RAMPAGE STOLE MY CHEEZ-ITS!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 15:18:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 15:18:47