Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Need a lot of help!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 22:39
I'm new to all this coding and such, the only program I have used is FPSC which I like but I need to move on to actual coding. How can I make an FPS with DarkGDK and I know a little of C++ but how do I learn more so I can start a game and learn?

Newb Game creator
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 23:14 Edited at: 14th Oct 2008 23:15
Load the FPS example that comes with DGDK, it will provide you with some nice insight on how most of the basic elements of a first person shooter are constructed using the DarkGDK.

Also, never hurts to brush up on your C++ skill. Make sure you have a broad understanding of Variables, Operators, Functions, Classes, Arrays etc.

EDIT: Almost forgot, good luck! I'm glad to see you decided to take that step forward.

www.Helios-Online.net
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 23:20
Start with this site:

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

It is incredibly helpful when you're learning how to program. It covers everything from variables to templates to polymorphism. Then get DarkGDK (if you don't already have it) as well as MSVC++ Express and the DirectX SDK (make sure it's the August 2007, not 2008, version). Start by learning all the basic functions of DarkGDK. Try making some very basic games and programs until you think you know what you're doing, then you can start with some more advanced things, and before you know it you'll be on your way to making an FPS!! But don't expect it to be easy. C++ can be very frustrating, and you'll be tempted to give up lots of times, but keep at it as long as you can and it'll pay off.

The Real Abaddon
Years of Service
User Offline
don't start with the fps right away, start first with a small project so you can understand better, after succesfully completing the project start your fps.

You should start with a 2d game like pong, tetris, etc. It wouldn't be bad if you buy or download a c++ book and read it so you can master c++.

Good Luck!
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 23:50
By the way, don't expect to be making a cutting-edge game within a year of getting the DarkGDK. Only I can do that. xD Mostly because I have tons of game programming and general programming experience, even if I'm only just the legal age to be on these forums.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 09:36:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 09:36:53