Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Worlds Apart Online BETA

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2008 04:49 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 18:31
[ The Server is currently DOWN ]

Registration for the Worlds Apart Online BETA is now open.

This first part of the beta will be limited to 100 people so I can work out any major technical kinks.

Registration for the beta is at :

http://www.kistech.com

I will warn you now, this is an EARLY beta. The artwork is not done, so there are some "placeholder" items in there, and the functionality of the game is somewhat limited. There will be much more added as the beta moves forward. This is more of a function and network testing beta.

Controls :

num + - Accelerate
num - - Decelerate
a - Attack/Combat Mode
1 - Photon Cannon Select
2 - Rockets Select
c - Cargo status
m - Map (working on it)
, - Radar range (zoom in)
. - Radar range (zoom out)
right click - Toggle Navigation mode
mouse move - Navigate
Enter or / - Chat mode. /help in chat mode for more chat commands.

Minimum System Requirements :

- 1GHz processor or above
- Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista
- 100MB Hard drive space
- 512MB RAM
- DirectX 9.0c (available on our website, or from Microsoft)
- Fully DirectX9 compatible graphics card with hardware acceleration and at least 64MB VRAM
- DirectX9 Compatible sound

Current display modes are 800x600 and 1024x768. More display modes and widescreen support will be added as the beta moves forward.

There are screenshots available in the top post of the WIP, and I'll post a few here once we get things going.

Thanks.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2008 05:20 Edited at: 18th Oct 2008 05:20
everything at kistech.com, including the screenshots in the WIP thread, are currently unavailable.

in the meantime, can you please post some basic system requirements for this? specifically, i have sub-2.0 pixel shader capability. do you expect this to be an issue?

thanks.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2008 05:45 Edited at: 19th Oct 2008 00:47
DNS updates are done. Everything is up now.

I'm not using any shaders so far, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Minimum system should be something like:

- At least 1GHz CPU
- At least 512GB RAM
- Same requirement as DarkBASIC Pro itself. Any DX9 capable card should do.
- 100MB Hard drive space
- 512Kbps down / 64Kbps up internet connection (I don't think dialup will cut it)
- Standard keyboard and mouse (Joystick will be an option later)

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 01:35 Edited at: 19th Oct 2008 01:41
registered. we'll get an email when beta download is available i expect? (it wouldn't let me download it yet and i saw reference to Oct 20 expected start).

also, when i first went to your site, the forum was there. after i registered for beta, i went back to register on the forum and it was gone. actually, it's giving me error 403 forbidden, but i went there without logging in before, it showed. now neither logged in/not logged in sends me to 403.

Virtual Nomad
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 20:24 Edited at: 19th Oct 2008 20:56
By looking at the database I can see that you were able to finish the beta registration. The file download should be working, so give that another try. (log in to the website and it will show the downloads page in the left menu.)

Give the forum another try. It's giving me some grief because I was running it over a residential account that blocked port 80, so I ran it on port 81. I'm on a business line now.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 21:47 Edited at: 19th Oct 2008 21:51
Signed up for the beta, won't be able to complete until i get home in 2 1/2 hours because I can't access my personal mail from work. Look foward to helping test out the online. I'll register for your forums as well.

[edit]
got an error trying to sign up for forum

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

will try again

~zen

"When I look at that square... I wish FPSC noobs would stay on their side of the forums and stop polluting these boards." - Benjamin
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 22:10
Stinkin forums are to picky...

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 22:11
I managed to download it after receiving authorization errors yesterday.

I made a character and when I tried to load it, it got hung up. And now I can't connect to the server. I think I broke it

"Oh hey, nice website Jimmy, it's really nice and fancy." -- That C++ Nerd
Visit. Website. NOW!
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 22:16
Same here...
I created a character and went back to the main menu. i clicked connect and entered my name, but after 3 chars of my password it hung up and now the screen stays black if i click "connect to server" or "make character".
And the updater wasnt doing anything for a long time, then gave a "file doesnt exist at line 39" error. If i try to start the game from desktop it cant find files because its searches for them on the desktop. ( i got vista )
And i really dont think you should include a 38MB video of the "Firefly"-Intro, i guess thats illegal anyways, isnt it?

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 22:51 Edited at: 19th Oct 2008 22:52
Try to get in again. It appears there's something causing the game to try and load your character at position 0 in the database. (doesn't exist..) I cleared the error, and your database records look fine. So it should let you in now.

By the way, a few commands I forgot to mention..

Enter or / - Chat mode

Once in chat, you can use /help to get more commands.

The Firefly intro is there just as a test. I'm working on a much smaller one with in game video. Just haven't found an easy way to do that yet..

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2008 23:24
The forum registration is fixed. It was a file permissions thing..

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 00:03 Edited at: 20th Oct 2008 03:22
Quote: "The forum registration is fixed. It was a file permissions thing.. "

Woohoo. It worked! Now I just need to wait till I get home to respond to the emails, and I'll be all set up. I will download the beta tonight, and try some things out

~Zen

[edit]
All registrations worked... currently downloading Beta

"When I look at that square... I wish FPSC noobs would stay on their side of the forums and stop polluting these boards." - Benjamin
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 03:52 Edited at: 20th Oct 2008 04:12
I downloaded the beta, and when I run it I get the first menu screen and then nothing. How do I start?

Also:
On vista it creates a desktop Icon, but if run from the desktop it assumes that the rest of the files ie media are located on the desktop as well.

The webisite seems tobe down, as I can't get into the forums, nor the chat, and I tried to redownload and got an error as well.
Help!!!

~zen

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 04:15 Edited at: 20th Oct 2008 04:19
site up, forum down:

Quote: "
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Access denied for user 'user'@'localhost' (using password: YES) [1045]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
"

was going there to post:
1) installer error similar to zenassem. installer doesn't ask for location, goes right to "c: /program files/worlds apart online" so shortcuts from Start Menu don't work. manually fixed by adding Start In "C: /Program Files/Worlds Apart Online" . i expect this will work for you, too, zenassem. edit: bad smilies...

2) during game play, crash to desktop:

i think it happened the first time i came across something during travel. hasn't repeated.

more later. will post feedback on forums from now on.

Virtual Nomad

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 04:37
Thanks Virtual Nomad, but my second problem is even when it does run, I get the first menu screen and can't click anything ie. Play, Update. It just freezes it seems.

I didn't want to post this stuff here either, but as you said the forums are down.

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 22:11
It wont start.

got: CWD:C:\Windows\system32
Load Image media\screens\front.png,1,1

One question... what are you doing in my system32?

Using Vista

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 22:30
He's not doing anything in there, Niels. The icon his installer makes is broken. It doesn't set the working directory to his game installation so it's defaulting to what your environment variables are set to. In XP I set the 'Start In' property of the icon to the location I installed the game ("C:\Program Files\Worlds Apart Online\") and it works just fine.

Except, of course, that my character still won't load.

"Oh hey, nice website Jimmy, it's really nice and fancy." -- That C++ Nerd
Visit. Website. NOW!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 01:43
Ok, I thought I looked in this thread last night, but maybe I was just to tired.

Anyway, the issue with the icons is fixed. You can uninstall and download the new install package, or you can make the change to the icons as suggested above. The problem was a typo I made in the setup script. Simple enough to fix, but annoying anyway.

@zenassem, I appreciate the thought, but don't worry about posting here. It's all simple little bugs that I need to iron out, and the website and forums are no exception. I actually don't like phpBB, but they're the easiest to set up.

@Virtual Nomad, The forums took issue with me changing the database password.. Go figure.. Anyway, they're back up and running. Also, thanks for the bug report about the illegal object. I found the offending line and corrected the problem. The update should be available shortly.

@All - There's now a chat room on the website that has a BETA Testers room in it. I'll be logged in to that any time that I'm at my desk working on the game. I'm also monitoring the game, and will pop in now and then if I spot someone in there.

More features are coming. I'm working on a map to show the current sector you're in, and working on some lasers and possibly torpedos for later on.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 01:55 Edited at: 21st Oct 2008 01:56
KisTech, If you could help me figure out why I can't play the game at all I would appreciate it. I left a post of what is happening, and what I have tried on the beta forum.

thx zenassem

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 17:42
Beta 0.0.02 is available now.

We need more testers.

http://www.kistech.com

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 20:18
Quote: "We need more testers."

I'll be happy to give it a try.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 00:11
Alright, things seemed to work without any serious errors, however...is it normal to spend about 1 minute to turn the ship around? Maybe there was something with the controls not being "timed". I ran the game at ~2000FPS.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 04:56 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2008 04:57
I'll do it.

When I ran the setup, it said the files were corrupt. Uhh?
Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 15:33 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2008 16:00
I registered on the website and downloaded beta 2 but I was not able to run it. The program started successfully but when I click PLAY, I get the following error message...

WorldsApartClient.exe - unable to locate dll
"The dynamic link library d3dx9_38.dll could not be found..."

(Is that a directX dll?)

Now I am pretty sure I have the most recent version of directx but I am downloading the redistribute you have on your website just to be sure.

EDIT: the redistribute didn't work so I just downloaded the dll off the internet and now it runs, but there is another problem. After I make a new character and click that name, it says "Loading Character", then the window minimizes and nothing happens... anyone else have that issue?

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."
Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 16:14
OK, its working now, I think that there is a bug if you try and log into the game through the make new character menu instead of the main menu. Other than that,

I look forward to seeing other ppl online as the game looks pretty good so far.

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 21:46
Quote: "however...is it normal to spend about 1 minute to turn the ship around?"

Same here... and if i enter a planet and get that window for trade or somthing... i cant exit anymore, and its always there when i log in.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 23:01
@redflames,

hitting L will allow you to Leave the orbit of a planet.

Virtual Nomad
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 19:48
I'm working on a new version of the file updater today. It seems there is a problem with it recognizing the difference in file dates between what's on the client system and what's been updated on the server. Hopefully this will bring everyone to the same version and some of these problems can be checked off.

That's pretty odd about the D3D9_38.dll file. I thought these installers from Microsoft were supposed to check for all related files and update what's missing..

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 14:13 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2008 14:16
I downloaded the beta and it wouldnt let me play, i went onto the update part and it said updating newmanifest.txt or whatever and then after that the play button is still greyed out and it says "server manifest file is missing"

Anyone else got this problem?

Screenshot below:

The screenshots look great by the way I can provide you with planet textures if you want

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 14:45
SV,

yeah, the installer currently has some kinks. we've been running the client directly in the meantime.

also, check the www.kistech.com forums for the most current news/issues/etc.

Virtual Nomad
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 17:31
@VN,

Thanks. Maybe I should make you a forum moderator..

Hell, being the most active (and informative) beta tester so far, I should make you a game mod too. (dam, now I have to add mod tools to the game client..)

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 01:58 Edited at: 4th Nov 2008 02:02
heh. well, just trying to help get more testers into the game so we can work the server and make it sweat

and, i signed up to help so if you need those moderators, i'd be happy to.

as for mod tools, please add the following functionality asap:

/add armada 1, scouts 4, destroyers 36
/set ai armada 1, "take no prisoners"

Virtual Nomad
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 14:51 Edited at: 4th Nov 2008 14:55
I managed to start the game and make a character but when i click on my made character it the game closes with no error what so ever.

EDIT I managed to get onto the game by clicking connect to server instead of make new character, so there is a bug in the "make new character" part.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 16:47
Yeah, Beta 4 will have a completely rewritten sign-in and character management system. The one in the current version was sort of "hacked" together.

Glad you were able to get in and see it though.

Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 04:37
I suggest you make the controls more "fun", if you're adding combat.

Like, add rolling. Please. Rolling makes stuff fun.

And the numpad stuff, it's a no-no if you ask me. It'd be cool if you controlled velocity with the mouse wheel.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 16:50 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 18:03
I was actually thinking about doing just that. I like to try and avoid using keyboard commands as much as possible.

It's an early beta, so lots of things will change. (probably several times..)

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 18:04
BETA 4 has been released.

This version introduces combat mode. You can now shoot at other players and NPCs.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 21:49
KISTech: when I want to fly around, FPS is about 3FPS. When I want to add torgue, FPS drops too

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.

AMD 64x 3500+, 6GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB, HD 500GB, X-fi xtreme audio, Internet 10/1 Mbit
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 18:39 Edited at: 12th Nov 2008 18:40
Check the first message in this post for the controls.

Don't hold down keys.

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 09:49
downloading the newest beta, ah been a while since i've seen this one ^-^ I believe i had an older computer last time, now souped up to the max wohoo. I'll have a game of it when i get back from uni ^-^

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 17:55 Edited at: 12th Feb 2009 17:56
Thanks for checking back, it's been updated quite a bit lately.

- Combat is more refined, and is still improving
- A basic economy is starting to take shape
- NPCs aren't just flying around aimlessly, there's a small group of them that are picking up contracts and delivering them, so there's some competition out there for transport work.

Still to do:

- Refine the economy and contract systems
- Add combat to the AI
- Add patrolling routes for the NPC security
- Add other factions to the AI such as pirates, so NPCs can battle each other
- Add more planets and solar systems to explore

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:43:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:43:08