Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / How to make music

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 04:58
Hello, I'm kinda new at this whole game making thing and would like to know how to create your own songs.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 13:06
Well, that pretty much depends on what you already know?
It is preferable to have been playing some music before, so that you know how "things are supposed to be", how various tones are named and how they sound / match together etc.
A piano / keyboard of sorts is also a very good asset to have, allthough I guess a guitar works as well (when composing / improvising together things, that is).

To actually record some music to be used in a game, you need some sort of recording device (these can be downloaded for free here and there; a member here (chunks chunks) even wrote one of his own that you can find in one of the QMidi threads). Then you might want to input your recording from an external source, in which case you have to localize your computers line-in port and find a matching wire, or you do it straight of your computer by the means of some sort of a software sampler.
These are often quite expensive if you want something good though, so if you're really totally new to this, I reccommend you to start out using your soundcards built in GM sampler which works with all free downloadable midi editors (I could advertise QMidi here, which you'll actually find in this very forum), or a tracker like ModPlug or Impulse (these allow you to use your own sound samples, but doesn't really handle sampling all that well. They're free though, and I myself started out with ModPlug after growing tired of the GM bank).

Maybe you want to check up some music theory as well; there's some threads in this forum (I think they're stickied).

But again, tell us where you are and it should be easier to tell you where to go next

Good luck.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe Flstudio is what you're looking for, http://www.Flstudio.com. And if you're looking for something like that, check out my beginner tutorial for flstudio http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116465&b=34

in Austrlia, there is a really red sun, u got a red sun in sky too?
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 01:00
I wouldnt say FL was good to start of with. It costs a good bit of money. I'd go for something like sibelius or noteworthy composer which are much cheaper.

When you say "How do you create your own songs" there isn't really any answer we can give you, unless you mean technically. I don't know which you mean. To write your own music you're main tool is your own creativity. There is theory behind music, but even a basic understanding is enough to get you started. I always find I can write better music when I actually have a purpose for writing it, like for a game or something.
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
I disagree, Flstudio is quite cheap compared to other equally good programs. You dont have to buy it really if you dont want to, you can use the demo version for as long as you'd like.

Ambitious Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 06:19
Well, What I really mean is how do I get the sounds.
Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 23:36
well i've been playing piano a nd guitar wince i was 5, so i would say you should make/record the sounds yourself. Or you could hire someone to do it

dude if you really want a turkey sandwich, then make one, and make ham.sdaF?
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 10:07
Flstudio comes with loads of synth and drum pads built in.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 18:48
Seriously, even if you buy the expert edition of FL Studio, Sibelius is more expensive.
At least that was the case last time I checked in my local music store.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Ambitious Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 01:32
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I might get FLStudio.
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 13:26
I think you should give Mu.lab a try. It is $60 or $70 I think for the pro version and you can make some pretty High Quality songs in it

It is also very easy to use.

http://mutools.com/

Just try the free version first

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I might get FLStudio."

Start out with the demo version of it, http://www.Flstudio.com and see if you like it. I've been using Flstudio and i can't imagine life without it, so i highly recommend you try it

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 21:54
Your right, my mistake. Some editions are pretty cheap :I
Cyberdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 22:10
Credit me and I'll score original music for your next video game.

Cyberdude
Cyberdude Productions
[href]www.cyberdudeproductions.com [/href]
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 22:51 Edited at: 24th Nov 2008 22:53
No offence here, Cyberdude, but when you are posting the exact same message to two different threads in a row like that, it almost seems as if you're some kind of ad bot...

Also, it does not even appear that TS is searching for someone to compose for him, but rather for some info about music programs to get himself started with composing.

Furthermore, if that's your signature, it's slightly too large to be allowed here.

By the way, isn't that kind of a bothersome setup to work with?
I've got my instruments arranged around me, not stacked in front of me

-> Oh, come on...
Cyberdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 18:51
my life.
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 19:58
NO! MINE!

Give it back!

Oh I see. Yes, it's your life. You can do what you want, however when you do it online, it concerns others too. I'm not referring to your setup. Whatever you feel comfortable working with is best.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:20:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:20:11