Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Twilight Imperium Online Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Guys

I'm a relative newbie to the forums here and frankly while I have created games in the past, I've never done it in as direct way as using a real programing language. In the past I have used tools like Vassal to create online versions of board games and card games. I have done plenty of world and level building with things like the Auro Toolset (NWN) and back in the day I even created game levels for counter-strike, duke nukem 3d and other things.

Anyway enough of the resume, clearly Im a relative newbie.

In recent days I have completed a project to put Twilight Imperium (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ti3.html) the board game online using the Vassal Engine tools (http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php).

My next venture is going to be into the world of GDK and my goal is to create a fully function 2d (with 3d components) online game version of Twilight Imperium with the functionality of a real turn based video game.

Getting started in this project has been very intimidating, especially as I look at some of the coding required. So before I dive head first I would love to get some honest answers from the amature game makers to some questions I have about designing in GDK.

Questions

1. I realize that many people are using GDK to create FPS games in fully realized 3d enviroments and such. While great, im basicaly making a turn based board game. In your opinion is this going to be more complicated or simpler? Another words is creating an FPS actually simpler then a turn based game in which a sequence of controled events must take place?

2. Where would you recommend I start developing a board game? Is there any completed projects out there that you know of that might help me get started? What first steps should I take before I start designing the game?

3. Is it difficult to create a game that has a multiplayer component? This being a board game would require up to 6 players to be able to log in and play.

Thanks for any advice and help. If your interested in joining in this venture for any Twilight imperium fans out there, I would love to have you so definitly leave me a post with your email.

www.playhardliveeasy.blogspot.com
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 19:07
real time is easier than turn based, but I dont know whether a turned based game is harder than a full FPS (not many of which ever get made)

no, i wouldnt suggest a board game. but other people might.

multiplayer games are possible, but usually require another API.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 09:27:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 09:27:33