Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS Creator not working right -- low detail textures, crappy AI - how do I fix this?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 22:15
Hi, my friend told me that FPSC was a good engine. I looked at the X10 screenshots, which looked halfway decent. I don't use Vista, I completely hate it personally.
Well, DX10 only adds better HDR shader wise and speeds things up a bit generally, so there can't be that big of difference.

Yet, my FPSC x9 doesn't seem to have any common X9 features at all. IT:
-Has no ragdolls, enemies seem to die in some backup animation probably intended for sniping.
-Weak stock textures, I'm sure that TGC didn't just put a bunch of 512 x 512 max textures in, I'm sure I have done something wrong.
-No documentation for FPI vehicle/physics commands.
-Bump mapping is horrible - I probably have something set wrong.
-Enemies are stupid, even with the darkAI script - Am I doing something wrong? They try to run through walls, don't see the existence of boxes and entities, more then 3 enemies don't shoot you, stuff like that.

My system:
AMD Phenom 9600+ 4-core
6gbs DDR2 ram
ATi Radeon 4870
Windows XP Professional

I'm pretty sure it's not my computer being slow.
How can I fix these problems?
I'm considering getting Source instead, at least there is some documentation on the physics commands.

I may not win the 2008 battle nor live to 2012, but...well...
Dangit
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 22:26 Edited at: 24th Oct 2008 22:27
hi John McFail
you will find that those are all problems everybody has with fpsc. i suggest downloading the pffical coomunity giude, airmod (or s4mod, or update 1.13), airslides AI pack, etc, etc.
- no ragdoll, x10 has it but x9 dos not
- weak stock, look into the model packs as well as content sites such as fps free. or make ur own
- vhichles are not in fpsc, you can use plys mod however.
- right click on the entity to bring up physics and junk.
- bump mapping if horrible on the sci fi textures, for some reason they just dont work.
-enemys are stupid indeed, dark ai is garbage. chansge the shoot script to snipe or static, the dystroy script to fadecorpse, and te main script to a default of use somthing from the script section f the fourms.

good luck

Z Fletch Studios list o games
Survival (in progress)
Insanity (in progress)
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
One thing you should do straight away is to make sure you have general anisotropic filtering enabled on your video card. Unlike many games, FPSC does not have internal adjustments for anisotropic or anti-aliasing settings. Changing this will help A LOT with the blurry looking textures. Without this turned on from the video card side, even 1024x1024 textures look very poor.

If physics are your primary desire, you should look elsewhere until V2 is released. Neither X9 nor X10 versions have vehicles and it's unlikely they will ever be officially added/supported in this product.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 22:51
The DarkAI is just a renamed Strafe10 file, looks like Lee pulled a fast one on us.....

Apparently a big update is headed our way with Ragdoll, DarkAI, Fresnel Water, and improved shader support. Of curse, this isn't expected to come into being until the end of the year sadly....

John McFail
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2008 00:16 Edited at: 25th Oct 2008 11:30
Quote: "
you will find that those are all problems everybody has with fpsc. i suggest downloading the pffical coomunity giude, airmod (or s4mod, or update 1.13), airslides AI pack, etc, etc.
- no ragdoll, x10 has it but x9 dos not
- weak stock, look into the model packs as well as content sites such as fps free. or make ur own
- vhichles are not in fpsc, you can use plys mod however.
- right click on the entity to bring up physics and junk.
- bump mapping if horrible on the sci fi textures, for some reason they just dont work.
-enemys are stupid indeed, dark ai is garbage. chansge the shoot script to snipe or static, the dystroy script to fadecorpse, and te main script to a default of use somthing from the script section f the fourms.
"

I did some research and confirmed these, thanks for your answer, but...
-Ragdolls aren't hard to implement when you have a full physics system already, why is it x10 only.
-I guess the stock is unbelievably weak. I've made some of my own content and it's a little bit better.
-Same thing with the ragdolls - Vehicles shouldn't be that hard, even in basic. A few constraints and some tires, and you've got one.

So, FPSC x10 uses features all found in most X9 and even some x8 games, but for Vista only. I know Basic isn't that great, but these are some features I could add in 6hrs/day for a week.
The only logical reasoning is that perhaps TGC got lazy, and used X10 to save work hours, or TGC cut a deal with MS, releasing these features only for X10 for more money.

I would quit and move to source, but I am now interested in bringing FPSC x9 to it's best.l

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2008 02:37 Edited at: 25th Oct 2008 02:43
John McFail

Quote: "Hi, my friend told me that FPSC was a good engine"

Your friend is right.

Quote: "-Has no ragdolls, enemies seem to die in some backup animation probably intended for sniping."

FPSC X10 has ragdolls although they don't seem to work quite as I expected. The model basically collapses on itself rather than falling into the environment realistically. It's better than the stock animation though and you can use it for detachable limbs. I killed an enemy whose arm came off then my ally ran across and kicked his severed arm across the floor well after he died which was surprisingly impressive.

Quote: "-Weak stock textures, I'm sure that TGC didn't just put a bunch of 512 x 512 max textures in, I'm sure I have done something wrong."

Can't really complain about the stock textures. Their free and you can find better ones on the net for your own custom segments or paint them yourself to the required standard. Use 1024x1024

Quote: "-No documentation for FPI vehicle/physics commands."

There are some general scripting tutorials just not specifically for physics. You can make a dynamic vehicle entity and have the player move with it now using the playerfreeze command.

Quote: "-Bump mapping is horrible - I probably have something set wrong."

No you don't. FPSC X9 uses shader model 2 bump mapping and even that doesn't work properly. TGC haven't updated the shaders since v1.0 was released. Fortunately FPSC X10 does a much better job and allows for decent looking bump mapped surfaces. See attached.

Quote: "-Enemies are stupid, even with the darkAI script - Am I doing something wrong? They try to run through walls, don't see the existence of boxes and entities, more then 3 enemies don't shoot you, stuff like that."

Stock AI scripts aren't that great but custom ones available on the forums do a much better job so get searching. Again FPSC X10 has real DarkAI that is far more impressive allowing for allies and smarter enemies.

Basically, FPSC X9 is pretty good but you have to put a lot of time into customising most aspects of your game until it starts to feel like something really worth playing. FPSC X10 gives you a much better foundation to work on so you can spend more time concentrating on creating assets knowing the shaders, AI and general performance is just going to be a lot better out of the box. Don't hate Vista, it's not great or anything but I got used to it in about 2-3 weeks and it's fine now. Plus if you want FPSC X10 you'll need to make the move sooner or later.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 25th Oct 2008 03:27
Quote: "FPS Creator not working right -- low detail textures, crappy AI - how do I fix this?"

Hmmm.... Seems to be working right to me. jk

You have to put lots of time into a game if you want it to look good. Take a look at some of the games in the botb thread and come back and see if you still think the same.

^ Click on my SIG! ^
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2008 09:56
Quote: "So, FPSC x10 uses features all found in most X9 and even some x8 games, but for Vista only. I know Basic isn't that great, but these are some features I could add in 6hrs/day for a week."

It's lucky that the source code (for version 1.07) is available for you to download then... You do need DarkBasic Pro and Dark Lights to compile it though... I think that's all you need, you can always check...

I think that the stock textures not being amazing isn't that much of a problem, for those of us who can't model/texture they are good for getting the basics of your game in place...

I look forward to seeing your FPSC game in the future... Welcome to the forums

"Quoting yourself is stupid and self-centered"-Thraxas
John McFail
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2008 10:57 Edited at: 25th Oct 2008 11:29
Quote: "It's lucky that the source code (for version 1.07) is available for you to download then... "

Oh hell yeah!

Quote: "FPSC X10 has ragdolls although they don't seem to work quite as I expected. The model basically collapses on itself rather than falling into the environment realistically. It's better than the stock animation though and you can use it for detachable limbs. I killed an enemy whose arm came off then my ally ran across and kicked his severed arm across the floor well after he died which was surprisingly impressive."

With the bone system in DBPro, I might be able to pull off real ragdolls with some time.

Can't really complain about the stock textures. Their free and you can find better ones on the net for your own custom segments or paint them yourself to the required standard. Use 1024x1024"

1024 x 1024?

I made a few segments with 2048 x 2048.

There are some general scripting tutorials just not specifically for physics. You can make a dynamic vehicle entity and have the player move with it now using the playerfreeze command"

Four connected Boxes + Progressively speed-increasing wheels + Seat model + playerfreeze = HL2 vehicle.

Ten joints connected by ball-barring type constraints = Radgoll.
Ten joints connected by angle-limited ball-barring type constraints = Super ragdoll.

My question to anyone who knows -- Are constraints such as these possible with the physics system?

gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2008 21:21
just a tip, dont use a map higher than 2048, the editor seems to crash, (at least for me it does)

Z Fletch Studios list o games
Survival (in progress)
Insanity (in progress)
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 16:05
Vehicles really arent that easy...
There is a lot of scripting involved, and it quite advanced stuff... If you want really good vehicles, try Ply's Mod 1.07

Here is a link to the thread, please not 3rd post down is a code snippet with the vehicle script he uses in one of his vids...

here

I love Jenkins forever :p
There is nothing to fear except fear itself... and FPSC bugs.
Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 19:01
Yeah, we all love Plystire and his wonderful mod!

<Sarcasm Detector running full scan
9 words detected, 2 symbols detected>
Low risk: !
Recommend Quarintine?>

No, but its a great mod.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 19:36
Quote: "It's lucky that the source code (for version 1.07) is available for you to download then... You do need DarkBasic Pro and Dark Lights to compile it though... I think that's all you need, you can always check..."

Can someone post a link as to where the source is downloadable from please?
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 19:41
john if you can manage such vehicles and ragdolls you are simply he best man in the fpsc history(except lee ofcourse for his awesome idea) also you can make motorcycles then,just more you turn the more the bike leans and you can specify how much you can angle in the fpi and you got the first motorbike in fpsc

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-10%
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 00:30
Quote: "Can someone post a link as to where the source is downloadable from please?"

FPSC Source Code is available here

It's part of the Upgrade 6.2 Extras zip file...

"Quoting yourself is stupid and self-centered"-Thraxas
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 06:52
Quote: "With the bone system in DBPro, I might be able to pull off real ragdolls with some time."

Ha ... You wont get it until you take a look at the source ...

[url=][/url][href]http://www.rampagemod.webs.com[\href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 15:18:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 15:18:04