Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Project Underwater; New way to make underwater areas in X9

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 17:17 Edited at: 28th Oct 2008 18:01
Thread's name teell everything. This is new way to make underwater areas. Works in FPSC X9, i use V 1.13, and works well. This needs alot of work.

I can't make air working, so you can stay in water so much time as you want. I tried to make timer to air, but it didn't work.

If someone wants to help, then say it. All help is needed.

WATCH VIDEO

I'm working with this. Estimated time left is 4 - 12 days.

READY
WORKING WITH tHIS
NOT STARTED

Your jump height is more than usual.

Everything is blue in water

If you are too long in water your air end and you lose health

Items stays in surface of water

Here is new water:

And new idea to ''water physic'':

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 17:21
Jump Height would be less, because the water would weigh you down....

I toyed around with this idea of using fog, but I find it's better to make the lights look washed out....

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool!

Don't click the image, it links to an image hosting site!
Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 17:30
I'm playing with huds and ambience... And fog
Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 17:53
Quote: "Jump Height would be less, because the water would weigh you down....
"

Yes, but then you can't ''swim'' from water.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 18:15
Oh lol, then again I use Ply's Mod to make the player "float".....

Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 18:23
Quote: "Oh lol, then again I use Ply's Mod to make the player "float"....."

???

Can you make player float in Ply's mod?
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 18:38
Yeh, I make it so that when he's underwater, he gets pushed up slightly, so he's floating.....

Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 08:06
Nice, then i use Ply's mod, and make my water to work with it... But now Ply's mod is not working on my computer.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 09:08
I like your concept, Jesper!

The fog underwater is certainly a classic ideal for limiting view and providing a better illusion, you may also want to play around with some ambience change as well.

I think your physics idea is pretty good, though, the way it is there the objects would sort of "jiggle" at the surface. Realistically the bouyancy of the object would become less as the object approached the surface, though momentum gained from being lower at the start would allow items further down in the water to "pop up" out of the water whereas objects that started near the surface would kinda bob a little before exponentially coming to a stop.

There's a lot of math involved in water physics and quite frankly, FPSC's current scripting system isn't really up to the task.

Here's a mock-up for "Air":

The player wouldn't be able to see their air value, but while in the water, the "air local variable" will decrease and once reaching 0 or below, the player will start taking 10 damage every 1/4 second.

Any questions or concerns with Ply's Mod should be emailed to me or posted in the Mod's official thread.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 09:15 Edited at: 29th Oct 2008 09:23
Thanks Plystire, thats great!

How long time player can be under water before air ends?

One minute or two?

Quote: " think your physics idea is pretty good, though, the way it is there the objects would sort of "jiggle" at the surface. Realistically the bouyancy of the object would become less as the object approached the surface, though momentum gained from being lower at the start would allow items further down in the water to "pop up" out of the water whereas objects that started near the surface would kinda bob a little before exponentially coming to a stop.
"

You are right.
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 15:09
Actually, not long at all, considering how fast the script parser reads, it would take if few seconds if I am not mistaken, this is the method I used for nightvision a while back... and ply, the player would never die, because when localvar 1 gets to 0, the timer still has yet to be started, and it will skip starting the timer and taking plr health... just some thoughts

@Jesper, this is a very good idea. I was considering trying something like this myself, but never got around to it. You are rapidly becoming a valuable member of this community, and I hope you keep up the excellent work.

I love Jenkins forever :p
There is nothing to fear except fear itself... and FPSC bugs.
Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 16:33
Thanks. I'm now going to test Plystire's idea... I'm not sure is it working, but i'm now testing it.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 21:19
@meteorite:

Nope, the timer does not need to be started, actually. The condition will pretty much be TRUE the moment the game starts, so that'll make the damage happen immediately when the Air hits 0, and then it'll go after every .25 seconds.

@Jesper:

The Air will run out very quickly, lol. To make it last a bit longer, just increase the "500" to something higher. Or you could work in the timer again for decreasing the Air value.

I really don't like using timers unless it's in my Mod, because without entity specific timers and being restricted to using the global timer, you're pretty much guaranteed to mess things up if you try to use it for more than one script.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 00:36
Looks good, you should put a water shader onto the 'water' entity to make it look cool... Good idea

[url=][/url][href]http://www.rampagemod.webs.com[\href]
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 01:35
@CG:

Forgot to mention last time:

The player should be able to jump higher underwater because their bouyancy will try to take them to the surface, but if they DO sink in water, they will slowly come back down.

I know from experience because I personally sink in water, and I know that jumping off the floor will make you jump higher. It's actually really fun if you can hold your breath that long.

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 01:38
Lol.....

I hadn't thought about bouyancy..hmm....

I guess since my character's in a big suit, (well, not that big), it should sink a bit.....

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 12:40
Quote: "I guess since my character's in a big suit, (well, not that big), it should sink a bit....."

They didnt use that science in half-life or halo.. The suit needs to be EXTRA big!

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 12:53
Yeh, but in halo, you hardly ever even go near water, you just trudge/drive/fly around killing the same squealing groups of grunts, with te same brutes calling for your blood, and failing to get it....

Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 09:39
Plystire, your Air system using variable didn't work. I don't know why. I putted this:

to end of my script. Did i something wrong?
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 11:27
What version are you using?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 11:50
Quote: "Nice, then i use Ply's mod"

If you're using Ply's Mod, then that script won't work, because my variable system is different than the official one.

Lemme change it for Ply's Mod:

That'll also use the "entity timer" so that it won't interfere with timers in other scripts.

The one and only,

Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 16:55
No, i'm not using Ply's mod, because i have V 1.13 and your mod does not work in V 1.13
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2008 17:42
Well done...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 17:25:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 17:25:38